Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FlavorText mod (Small Things Mod successor) - suggest your phrase!  (Read 4857 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Some time ago (quite a lot of time really) Umiman, our glorious forumite, has compiled a Small Things mod which added flavorful stuff like prefstrings, engravings and new threats to the speech.

While it's not a gamebreaking stuff and doesn't add a lot of gameplay value, I really liked different yells of anger in adventure mode and new shapes on my walls in Fortress mode.

I've downloaded it to expand my Genesis mod and noticed that it only has threat.txt and no_family.txt in regard to text files. So I've decided that it's about time to expand it, using your help!

Suggest your additions to whatever files you want.

Existing stuff:

threat.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

no_family.txt
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: FlavorText mod (Small Things Mod successor) - suggest your phrase!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:08:49 am »

I reserve 2nd post for more space for the text.

Here's a shot stuff I came up with

thief_profession.txt

thief_profession_year.txt

Suggest away!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 11:11:26 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:42:41 am »

OK, let's start. I will rather make new posts than a changelog for now. A bit busy here.

New threats:

thief_profession.txt

High five to those who can remember where is it from.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 11:55:04 am »

I actually had my mind set on some sort of modification such as this one! This is great! :D
I had written down some threats, but it seems as if that section is well-covered. :D I'm positive that nearly all my threats are similar to the ones in your list, so it doesn't matter.

You want to expand all speech texts, not just the four you've listed, correct? I could brainstorm up a couple for you if so :) However, are there any laws regarding who says what? As far as I know, anyone could say anything, regardless of circumstances. The same person who've said: "Family? That would be nice..." could very well proclaim: "I only need strength. Love is an illusion." only seconds after inquiring again. Furthermore, and ogre could haughtily say: "Imbecile. The time for talk is over." It's a bit discordant with the view (stereotype? :P) that ogres are damn stupid. Is there a way to 'fix' this, or are we going to just roll with it? Answering this would help me in coming up with new speech lines :D
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 12:27:40 pm »

We just roll it, that's how DF works. Still it is much funnier than seeing the same thing over and over. And maybe that ogre was a very clever one :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 12:44:27 pm »

True, we'd better not let our prejudice discriminate so wildly... I'm certain that ogre had a degree in sesquipedalian loquaciousness... xD
I'll come up with some good phrases for a wide range on the speech files spectrum... next day. Or the next night, depending on wherever you are :P It's wierd being European on an American forum, sometimes :)
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 12:46:24 pm »

I am from Russia. There's a lot of Europeans, so it's not an American forum per se.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 04:02:02 pm »

I would call this very much an international community. There are people here from all over the world, it's not an American forum.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 04:24:24 pm »

New threat suggestions.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 04:46:35 pm »

That's great... Does anybody want to expand something else besides threats? That was a point. It looks like our community really likes aggressiveness :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 04:51:52 pm »

I think new shapes for engravings and other things are in order. I remember someone had received a raw with a modded in penis shape, he had penises all over his fort...  :P
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 04:54:54 pm »

Well, no, I do not have such silly things, but I have tons of other stuff in engravings.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 05:42:10 pm »

That's great... Does anybody want to expand something else besides threats? That was a point. It looks like our community really likes aggressiveness :P.
New insults to races:
Dwarf.
Elf.

Uhhh, ran out of ideas. This is all I've got for now.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 05:44:48 pm »

Included :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 08:57:08 pm »

I think new shapes for engravings and other things are in order. I remember someone had received a raw with a modded in penis shape, he had penises all over his fort...  :P

Oh, heh.  That was me.  It was for a succession game on the Cracked forums; dick jokes are a way of life over there.

Anyway.

Spoiler: greet_reply.txt (click to show/hide)

Pages: [1] 2