Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating war animals in 40d  (Read 1104 times)

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creating war animals in 40d
« on: June 06, 2010, 03:58:28 am »

Oi!
I turned my cows/muskoxen/horses/camels into PET & TRAINABLE, but they don't seem to be attacking anything as opposed to dogs, who do.

Help?

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creating war animals in 40d
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 04:13:32 am »

Try removing the [benign] tag.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 01:02:57 pm »

Thanks, I did. Now I'm finally trying to figure out which animals are good for war: I have a dog, a dromedary, a muskox, a cow, a black bear and a horse.

Which is "the best"?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 04:49:44 pm »

I would assume the black bear, but it is the smallest of the bear family in RL.

A muskox could be deadly if it could charge and gore with it's horns.

A dromedary is a camel.

A male cow (Bull) could be deadly, same as the muskox.

A dog IIRC is small.

I don't believe creatures are properly suited to themselves yet, so a dog may very well be the most lethal, but who knows, that camel may be a hooved god of war.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 05:00:10 pm »

Look in the raws.  There will be a damage tag (not looking at it at the moment) - dogs (IIRC) are 1:6, which means 1to 6 damage, and are size 5 (I think).  Those are the two things that matter.

Making a "war" animal (dogs only in vanilla - there's a "trainable" tag for that) just doubles the amount of damage they do.

So, basically, you want an animal that does lots of damage and is very big.  Larger creatures do more damage when they attack a smaller one, and they take less damage when attacked by a smaller one.  It's at least as important as the base damage, probably more so.

Edit: I think (just going on memery here) that most creatures to damage of 1:2.  Camels are size 10 - when I chained up a camel to guard the gate next to a war dog, it did about as well in combat as the war dog, and lasted longer.  But that's pretty limited testing.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:02:07 pm by deoxy »