Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can't make alloys. Wanted to make sure I'm not an idiot before bug posting.  (Read 2476 times)

saru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Started out by digging deep. The new underground caverns are fantastic. The fill me with glee. But anyways, I eventually had a safe stair-way to the depths of the Earth where there's a magma pipe.
I set up some glass furnaces and a smelter down there. The glass furnaces are turning out the components for a pump stack to bring me more convenient magma power.

Now here's the problem. My smelter's cranking out tons of metal, and I've made a few copper and silver weapons... but I can't make any alloys! Is this not done at the smelter anymore?
The workshop is literally surrounded by piles of ore and bars of metal, but combining any of them seems to be beyond them.
I'm smelting tetrahedrite, malachite, and cassiterite, but there's just has no option to make bronze, whether from ore or metal bars. I've got a lot of zinc, gold, and silver too, but I can't make brass or electrum or anything.

The only options at the smelter are to smelt the various ores, melt objects, and curiously, turn bitumous coal into coke, despite the fact that no bitumous coal shows up on my stocks page.
I tried making a standard smelter, same options there.

I checked the raws, too. All of the reactions seem to be in the reaction_smelter file; eg:

Quote from: reaction_smelter.txt
[REACTION:BRONZE_MAKING]
[NAME:make bronze bars (use ore)]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:METAL_ORE:TIN]
[REAGENT:B:1:METAL_ORE:COPPER]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:BRONZE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

I don't see anyone else having this problem, so either this is an exceptionally obscure bug, or I'm doing something wrong.
Game is completely unmodded, totally vanilla, 31.03, started from scratch in a new directory, Windows version on Wine on Slackware.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm fairly sure you have to use tin to make bronze. If you go on the wiki it gives you a list of what metals go into making certain alloys. Also I think the ore of tin is casserite

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could try forcing it from the manager. I'm not sure if it'll work, but it might make the task appear in the smelters. Sounds like a bug if both copper and tin bars are present.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you can't make Billon either from having tetrahedrite ore, then something seems wrong yeah.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

zergl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are your smelters part of a burrow that does not include all the bar/ore you have sitting around?

Even when you have no dorf assigned to that burrow, smelters get bugged out and refuse to acknowledge the existence of any raw materials outside of that burrow on their add job screen.

sammiched

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had this problem once before, if I recall correctly you can still make alloys with the manager. In my case this magically fixed itself, so I'm gonna say this is a bug

saru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah. Okay. It's a bug.
I tried the manager trick, so finally got the job to appear:

Urist McSmelterFace cancels Make bronze bars <use ore>: Needs stone.
I remind you, he's immediately adjacent to a stock pile containing tetrahedrite, malachite, and cassiterite (along with several others, woo!).  :-\
Okay.
Try with bars. He's also right next to his output stockpile, containing bins filled with tin and copper, as well as silver, gold, lead, nickel, and zinc.
Urist McSmelterFace cancels Make bronze bars <use bars>: Needs 150 pinfire opal bars.
 :o  >:(  :'(

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Urist McSmelterFace cancels Make bronze bars <use bars>: Needs 150 pinfire opal bars.
Have you done any modding at all to this save?
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile

Have you done any modding at all to this save?
Are you running Linux? I heard this happens sometimes on Linux machines where it won't read the raws right.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

saru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you running Linux? I heard this happens sometimes on Linux machines where it won't read the raws right.
Ah-hah! Yes, it's Slackware Linux. I didn't see anything about that when I Googled, but I guess I wasn't thinking it might be specifically a Linux problem!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

The problem is you're using 31.03 on Linux.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile

Fixed.
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fixed.

::) Have we moved on from just Mac bashing?

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile

As long as it doesn't erupt into a computer version of holy wars, I really don't care either way.

Also, pinfire opals should be the default error when DF can't find something else to complain about. :P It would be hilarious watching the reactions.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile

::) Have we moved on from just Mac bashing?

As a Mac user, I'm totally good with this.
Pages: [1] 2