Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Full-time soldiers, possible?  (Read 735 times)

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
Full-time soldiers, possible?
« on: June 05, 2010, 01:58:13 pm »

I'm the sort of player that takes huge pride in my military, and for me, the 31.xx versions have been a huge letdown, graphically...

I was used to seeing AxeLords and Champions all over my fort, but now, it's all random rabble all over, and I can't tell who's who. And its really pissing me off! I want the old school full-time military back! No more silly militia...

I've been wondering if it's possible to remove the militia all together, and just have the captains appointed by expedition leader.... I remember hearing that the high end military nobles (that don't show up, since getting a King is basically impossible....) will enable this behavior.

Does anyone know how to safely remove the militia and move directly on to proper soldiers?

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Full-time soldiers, possible?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 02:37:30 pm »

I have a couple of Axe Lords. You just have to let them train their skill for a while.

The new military system is great once you get to grips with it. You can set squads to have certain uniforms and all kinds of things. Note; they are full time. You just haven't set up their schedules properly yet, so they're set to "inactive".

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 02:53:17 pm »

Yes, but that way you can't have them all doing individual combat practice and get skilled fast ;)

If I had issues with the actual military, I would've read the wiki.

Motigg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 03:55:21 pm »

I have a couple of Axe Lords. You just have to let them train their skill for a while.

The new military system is great once you get to grips with it. You can set squads to have certain uniforms and all kinds of things. Note; they are full time. You just haven't set up their schedules properly yet, so they're set to "inactive".
Yea but the main problem is when you do have them set to full time, they bug out and do the infinite training problem where they wait for someone to start a group training or something like that.  I heard that it works fine once they have some experience but I've never gotten it to work nor for them to spar.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 05:30:25 pm »

They also begin to complain about long patrol if you have them set to be doing something year round. It starts as a minor bad thought and gets progressively worse I believe.  I tried doing something like that once, and with a kickass dining room, artifact adamantine public statue garden, and mist generator in said garden, they still started getting pissy after about a year.

I would also like a method to keep the military's title and coloration when they are off duty.  It's not like they will currently do any civilian work anyway.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!