Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In game day  (Read 779 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
In game day
« on: June 05, 2010, 10:34:41 am »

I've tested the time in an in game day several times and narrowed it down to 22-25 seconds. Anyone have different times or something? If not then we have the seconds in a day  8)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: In game day
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 10:37:13 am »

It depends on your frames per second, someone who gets like 5 FPS is going to have days that last far longer. A day is like some 2800 cycles (someone correct me, maybe it was 1200?), each cycle being a frame on the FPS counter.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

zergl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 10:40:13 am »

Except that this heavily depends on how many FPS you get. :P

An ingame day is exactly 1200 steps/frames from what I've read, so if you have 100 FPS a day will take exactly 12 seconds and by power of deduction (and basic maths) I guess that your fortress is running somewhere around 50 FPS.

fake edit: beaten, but yeah. 1200 I think it was.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 10:50:26 am »

O_O Kewl

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 11:52:02 pm »

So it takes a bridge approximately 2 hours to raise/lower?
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 01:13:24 am »

...So that guy was dragging his broken body over the ice for seven hours before bleeding to death?

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 02:44:18 am »

...So that guy was dragging his broken body over the ice for seven hours before bleeding to death?
DO NOT THINK ABOUT IT!!! It causes great mental stress. Like a miner mining out atleast 1000 pounds of rock a day, or soldiers pounding on a goblin for four hours strait without breaking the armor. Not complaining, just warning you of the dangers. Watch out, or you might just go crazy.

hehehehehe....
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 04:38:51 am »

I think it's done this way because dwarves would have to move much faster to be on a time scale where they eat and drink twice a day or something. That would take even more CPU. It's abstracted in such a way that dwarves instead eat one large meal instead of several smaller ones, to save trips, sort of.

A more realistic timescale would be an excellent goal for DF2015 or DF2020 possibly though, depending on improvement in computer performance. Perhaps a scalable timescale.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit