Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Many weird (bug?) issues with the dwarf fortress  (Read 1498 times)

juhis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Many weird (bug?) issues with the dwarf fortress
« on: June 05, 2010, 06:41:31 am »

I updated to the latest version of dwarf fortress and got some problems that actually ruins the
whole gaming. Here is the list of all kinds of weird things that stops me playing forward.
( some of them have existed many versions of dwarf fortress )

Lets start with the most show stoppers.

1) "Set Order" well basically it just doesn't work. The result -> all dwarfs dead. why ? dwarfs keep doing their
jobs and hauling stuff what ever the settings are in the set order. In battles where a legendary monster
is inside the dwarfs goes in to loop trying to do their ongoing job, canceling because of the monster, trying again, canceling. ALWAYS my entire colony dies in hunger or thirsty. Cant cancel the work they are doing.
Also they start new jobs even there is not anything to do. This also prevents to get the stuff to depot and trade.
The dwarfs does everything else THAN get the stuff to the depot or trade. ( also set order is missing gather/ignore goods, see part 7 )

2) Doing work that doesnt exist. There is times when dwarfs are occupied with a work and that work doesnt exist. Like detail floor, build a wall. There is absolutely none smooth/detailing areas set but still they want to do it.
This affects most of the time my broker. The broker bugs in the part 3.

3) The broker not *ucking coming to the depot. This BUG gets me so angry always that I will shout *UCK *ESUS.
WHY isnt there a decent priorities for the dwarfs for doing their stuff. If the caravan comes visit once a year why the detailing floor is more important, WHEN THERE IS NOT EVEN DETAILING WORK TO BE DONE.
I always have to use "Any one may trade"

4) Military, this new military squad thing, is totally screwed. Does anybody even understand how to use it ? And if you manage to do something with the horrible interface, it doesnt even work. The dwarfs are fighting never ending wrestling battles without armor. The old military screen was perfect about the simplicity to set up weapon and the best armor used. Also wearing armor/weapons for non military dwarfs. Now eveybody is running with socks only.

5) Missing dwarfs. And one really really annyoing BUG. There is dwarfs that cant be found on the game but they
exist in the job lists. This also affects Assign bed, table, etc stuff. You can't find the dwarfs in the list when assigning. The most annoying place where this happens is my nobles. I cant assign a room for broker / mayor, what ever because they doenst exist in the Assign name list !

6) Never ending battles. The latest game ended with some legendary water moster coming from the deeps.
The battle was just in the only corridor to my well and the other dwarfs were stuck on the other side wanted
to go drink. And the battle was agains a 85 year old grandmom fighting with her bare hands. The result: All 56 other dwarfs died in thirst. Seems that the fighting dwarfs are not affected by hunger or thirst. The battle lastes maybe 5000 years, like all the *ucking battles in dwarf fortress. 4 teeth flying on the floors and the 85 year got one screen full of injuries but did not die until the some years of battling where all the other dwarfs where dead already. The game is stucks there and cant do anything, game over.
What should happen there, other dwarfs encountering the battle if IT IS THEIR ONLY WAY TO STAY ALIVE.

7) Cant stop gathering goods. Well you can if you manually remove goods stockpiles or dont add them too much.
Here is the deal: Reclaim old fortress, the whole map is full of goods, the more goods there is how many times
you reclaim the fortress. Tried this 4 times continnuosly when all died. The dwarfs will go to endless goods hauling if you reclaim all the stuff lying on the ground and set up enough stockpiles for goods. The *ucking gathering is more important than fishing or hunting. Again really stupid priority setting. If the food stocks are going down they should do their fishing or hunting job as they have been set in the beginnign of the game manually. I set some dwarfs to be good fisher in the beginner. But no, nobody is interested about getting more food. They will haul the goods as long as the initial food reserves are out and then die.

I have now started 6th game with the latest dwarf fortress, always dying because of these bugs.
I will give up now and try again next year.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Many weird (bug?) issues with the dwarf fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 08:35:23 am »

It's just a game, you should really just relax.

Now, latest version. I assume you're meaning either 31.04 or 31.05? These are versions after some major overhauls. They're still buggy. also, the game is still an alpha, so there will be some other bugs and weirdness in there too, unrelated to 31.##-bugs.
1) "Set Order" well basically it just doesn't work. The result -> all dwarfs dead. why ? dwarfs keep doing their
jobs and hauling stuff what ever the settings are in the set order. In battles where a legendary monster
is inside the dwarfs goes in to loop trying to do their ongoing job, canceling because of the monster, trying again, canceling. ALWAYS my entire colony dies in hunger or thirsty. Cant cancel the work they are doing.
Also they start new jobs even there is not anything to do. This also prevents to get the stuff to depot and trade.
The dwarfs does everything else THAN get the stuff to the depot or trade. ( also set order is missing gather/ignore goods, see part 7 )
The problem there isn't the Set Orders menu, but the fact that there's a beast inside your fortress. Wall off your fortress with just a single bottleneck entrance. Litter it with traps ( cage and/or weapon, stonefall traps don't do much damage) and that shouldn't be a problem any more. Note that those orders only take place after you've set them so: when saying dwarves should forbid all stuff from all dead creatures, it doesn't forbid the items that belong(ed) to a certain creature. It forbids the items from every creature that dies after you've set it so.

2) Doing work that doesnt exist. There is times when dwarfs are occupied with a work and that work doesnt exist. Like detail floor, build a wall. There is absolutely none smooth/detailing areas set but still they want to do it.
This affects most of the time my broker. The broker bugs in the part 3.
This seems to be a bug, I can't think of any other explanation. Make sure there is no work to be done and if they go ahead and do something (or say they do something) report it on the bug tracker.

3) The broker not *ucking coming to the depot. This BUG gets me so angry always that I will shout *UCK *ESUS.
WHY isnt there a decent priorities for the dwarfs for doing their stuff. If the caravan comes visit once a year why the detailing floor is more important, WHEN THERE IS NOT EVEN DETAILING WORK TO BE DONE.
I always have to use "Any one may trade"
Trading is a very low priority job. Make sure your broker has absolutely no other job active.

4) Military, this new military squad thing, is totally screwed. Does anybody even understand how to use it ? And if you manage to do something with the horrible interface, it doesnt even work. The dwarfs are fighting never ending wrestling battles without armor. The old military screen was perfect about the simplicity to set up weapon and the best armor used. Also wearing armor/weapons for non military dwarfs. Now eveybody is running with socks only.
The military is hard to understand and even a bit bugged in this version. Read up on it in the wiki, and if you still don't understand what's going on there are a couple of threads detailing what to do. Search them and read them.

5) Missing dwarfs. And one really really annyoing BUG. There is dwarfs that cant be found on the game but they
exist in the job lists. This also affects Assign bed, table, etc stuff. You can't find the dwarfs in the list when assigning. The most annoying place where this happens is my nobles. I cant assign a room for broker / mayor, what ever because they doenst exist in the Assign name list !
Even though it seems you've had experience with the previous version, I'm still going to ask it: you know you can scroll to other pages using arrow keys/page up/down or +-*/? Unless you've edited the key bindings. In which case you should use the keys you've set.

6) Never ending battles. The latest game ended with some legendary water moster coming from the deeps.
The battle was just in the only corridor to my well and the other dwarfs were stuck on the other side wanted
to go drink. And the battle was agains a 85 year old grandmom fighting with her bare hands. The result: All 56 other dwarfs died in thirst. Seems that the fighting dwarfs are not affected by hunger or thirst. The battle lastes maybe 5000 years, like all the *ucking battles in dwarf fortress. 4 teeth flying on the floors and the 85 year got one screen full of injuries but did not die until the some years of battling where all the other dwarfs where dead already. The game is stucks there and cant do anything, game over.
What should happen there, other dwarfs encountering the battle if IT IS THEIR ONLY WAY TO STAY ALIVE.
As I said before, the military, and in battle in general, is bugged. Creatures locked in combat are immortal due to a bug. The dwarves dying from thirst is normal: if you don't have any booze and the creature is in the hallway between your dwarves and the well, they will die of thirst. Similarly, when the beast is between the dwarves and their booze, they'll dehydrate.

7) Cant stop gathering goods. Well you can if you manually remove goods stockpiles or dont add them too much.
Here is the deal: Reclaim old fortress, the whole map is full of goods, the more goods there is how many times
you reclaim the fortress. Tried this 4 times continnuosly when all died. The dwarfs will go to endless goods hauling if you reclaim all the stuff lying on the ground and set up enough stockpiles for goods. The *ucking gathering is more important than fishing or hunting. Again really stupid priority setting. If the food stocks are going down they should do their fishing or hunting job as they have been set in the beginnign of the game manually. I set some dwarfs to be good fisher in the beginner. But no, nobody is interested about getting more food. They will haul the goods as long as the initial food reserves are out and then die.
Both fishing and hunting are top-priority jobs. You shouldn't rely on hunting and fishing, but more on farming and husbandry. Those have fewer bugs (just one, minor bug springs to mind: needing muddied soil for underground farming) and produce a more stable food production. Another handy trick is to turn off hauling for the farmers.

EDIT: Just the kind of thing I would do: edit a quote so it fits, but only a bit. Thanks, juhis.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 03:59:01 am by Kidiri »
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

bongotastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Loving cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
Re: Many weird (bug?) issues with the dwarf fortress
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 10:27:43 am »

It's just a game, [you] should really just relax.

Amen to that.

The military can be a bit buggy, but it does work to some extent. Reading the wiki entries on Squads and Scheduling is a must. When these are free of bugs, it will be a heck of a feature.

And hey, when things go wrong, I like to remind myself that it's a miracle that so much can be done with these drunken fools in the first place ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:33:14 am by bongotastic »
Nothing screams "Christmas" quite like a new release of DF.