Temperate
- 86 (44.1%)
Hot
- 21 (10.8%)
Scorching
- 12 (6.2%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Poll: What temperatures do you prefer?  (Read 2558 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Poll: What temperatures do you prefer?
« on: June 05, 2010, 12:19:42 am »

Not really any reason, I'm just wondering. Personally I prefer Temperate or Cold, you don't need to worry about the effects of temperature on your dorfs, and you still get ice. And it feels very much like home when I'm in a cold forest.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: What temperatures do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 01:00:20 am »

I go for temperate, for convenience.  Although cold can be pretty fun (not Fun, just fun), what with setting up a cistern and all.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 01:02:19 am »

I like things a bit on the warm side, because it sucks when you can't get a cistern dug and filled before freezing occurs and your dwarves die of thirst. I don't like having to go to the potentially deadly caverns until I'm good and ready.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 01:05:38 am »

Cold or Temperate. I like Cold environs because it keeps the vermin population down. It also justifies the bulky uniforms dwarves like to wear, with multiple shirts, gloves, caps and coats and armor and whatnot, which would be pure misery in a hotter climate.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 01:06:32 am »

Hot, because tropical jungles and swamps have the highest concentration of Fun.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 01:16:53 am »

Cold or freezing, because you can multiply water, cast solid ice forts and I still want to try and make ice crafts and sell them.  Also dorfs won't melt in cold climates, unless you want them too. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 01:25:29 am »

Hot, simply because I like that kind of climate IRL...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 06:47:57 am »

Hi!

I am also with the cold temperate faction: While not facing the hardships of freezing environments, this gives me seasonal freezing that allows me flexible usage of surface water (and also makes aquifers less scary).

Of course, telling dwarves not to walk on the ice can be a tad tedious, but that is a small price to pay for a lot of convenience.

Deathworks

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 07:01:39 am »

I usually play temperate since, unless you embark on a terrifying biome, what can go wrong? I don't really have experience with Hot or Scorching :/, cold is nice when things freeze over in winter. I haven't dared embark on freezing or on a glacier.

No intention on doing a Captain Scott.
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 08:20:14 am »

Temperate or Cold, just in case I turn temperature on and sacrifice frame rate. Freezing for a challenge to melt water somehow. Warm or Hot if I want some appropriate tropical environment.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 08:57:29 am »

I always want to do cold or freezing, but just can't give up the dense trees in temperate areas.
I love the idea of the cozy magma-heated fort huddled in the earth below a howling wasteland, a bastion of warmth and life in a cold, hostile world.
Like hot cocoa on a cold winter day.
Warmed over magma in an obsidian cup.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 09:34:07 am »

I prefer temperate/cold, since it actually has water available if you don't have a river/aquifer. In my current fort I have my dwarves running around collecting water after every rain so they can  have a place to bathe. I worry there will be a sudden rush into the caverns if I discover an underground lake. Unfortunately, my underground bathing pools are soaked in blood, but I don't think the dwarves care.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 01:16:19 pm »

Freezing or Cold, cut the vermin population down, so I don't have to bring cats. And I like carving forts from ice. And taigas serve my wood need jus fine.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 02:48:10 pm »

Freezing or scorching, because who doesn't like that extra challenge.  If I had 3 votes, cold would be next though, because I really like temporarily frozen ponds and whatnot, I like that deadline and I like counting on the freeze in engineering projects.

Although on a lot of forts I play temperate so I don't feel bad turning temperature and weather off for the FPS.  But it isn't my favorite, just my expedient when worrying about other things.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 03:26:04 pm »

Cold. It's a regular map, but with the benefits of having seasonal freezing! Then you can go about a) building awesome stuff out of ice or b) building things IN the ice so you have underwater constructions come summer.
Pages: [1] 2