Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I am disappointed by hydras  (Read 945 times)

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
I am disappointed by hydras
« on: June 04, 2010, 06:56:30 pm »

I embark. 7 completely non-combat dwarves (not even a miner) are face to face with a resident hydra. They drop it in seconds with wrestling, with one casualty losing a leg, no other injuries.

Did I get absurdly lucky or are hydras a bit poo?

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
Re: I am disappointed by hydras
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 07:15:38 pm »

sometimes you get a titan who has layers of fat or is muscular or large.  the description of the creature can usually help you gauge the difficulty.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 07:57:56 pm »

I embark. 7 completely non-combat dwarves (not even a miner) are face to face with a resident hydra. They drop it in seconds with wrestling, with one casualty losing a leg, no other injuries.

Did I get absurdly lucky or are hydras a bit poo?

A bit of both... While a skilled adventurer can drop one without much trouble, 7 weak dwarves is a bit of a stretch. The weakness comes from the fact that damage to the head appears to be as if it only had one.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 08:33:01 pm »

What happens if you lop one off in DF?
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 09:04:14 pm »

Uh I thought the hydra bug was fixed.  Chop off one head and the other 6 keep trying to bite you... until the whole thing runs out of blood.  My guess is someone broke its leg, causing it to fall over and start passing out due to pain and whoever was packing the axe or the picks just hacked it to bits. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 05:10:03 am »

Well, pickaxes ARE horribly overpowered right now...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 12:47:25 pm »

The hydra bug is fixed in that if you cut off one head the whole hydra doesn't instantly die.  But hydras bleed and feel pain, and cutting off a head causes a lot of pain and blood loss, so if you can manage to cut one head off you're probably going to kill the whole thing pretty soon.  And having seven heads means that when you hit one your chances of randomly hitting a head are pretty good.  I haven't fought a hydra in fortress mode yet, but I've easily killed several in adventure mode.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.