Dwarfy
- 17 (40.5%)
Profitable
- 9 (21.4%)
Who cares, use magma!
- 16 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarfy or Profitable?  (Read 1552 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfy or Profitable?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 12:19:21 am »

Shittons of stone crafts, bone crafts, skull totems, and other trinkets made from what are essentially waste products.

Back in 40D, I tried making my major export obsidian stone crafts, which worked fine until I realised I'd already got so much goblin trash I didn't need them. Goblin clothing for the most part, ☼goblin skull totems☼, and ☼elf skull totems☼.
I feel turning the skulls of my enemies and useless traders into candle-holders is a nice way to operate, for dwarves.

I think I could do pretty well with a theme fort, making my only exports obsidian trinkets and skull totems once I've gotten things set up.
I could probably enforce it by throwing the exportable goblin trash into the magma sea. Especially since I don't have to screw with pumps and worrying over whether I just pressurised the magma pipe.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 03:59:57 am »

Both?

I do lots of stone crafts to start, usually made out of galena or some more valuable silver ore, switching to gold or iron ore when my miners are proficient enough to dig it reliably.  9600 dorfbucks per mug goes a long way.  I also tend to start cloth production early, because I need bags almost as much as bins and barrels.  Once I have enough bags, I can switch to cloth crafts, with sewn images, and get 2 dyeing modifiers, 2 weaving modifiers, 2 craftsdwarfship modifiers, and sometimes an image modifier, per craft.  Legendary Weaver + Legendary Dyer + Legendary Clothier = massive dorfbucks.  Also makes some nice ropes for the wells.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 06:06:56 am »

My idea of "dwarfy" is to drop naked goblins into the magma vent while drinking booze.

To each their own...
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Taranli Maren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 10:36:44 am »

Iron flasks for me.  Two coke and one iron ore sells for up to 3600 (3 masterpiece flasks at 1200 each).  Dwarfy and profitable.

Edit: OR, if you don't have iron ore, you could use gold and still get 3 iron flasks to sell ;)

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 12:18:35 pm »

I find it quite dwarfly to just lift the traders of theire wares with only giving them prepared food (haha) back.
Pages: 1 [2]