Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Wikipedia  (Read 4017 times)

Pathos

Wikipedia
« on: June 04, 2010, 10:24:05 am »

I both love and hate Wikipedia.

I love it because it's a massive online resource, allowing pretty much everyone in the world to have access to a great deal of information. It's also a crowning achievement of humanity, towards the concept that people can work together in an attempt to make something great.

I hate it because... Dear god, the guidelines, editors and rules can just be ridiculous. Original research isn't allowed (even if it's factual and fills in a gap in the article itself) because of a restrictive (and stupid, in my opinion) rule of notability. (If there're no articles about it, it's not notable, so it can't be brought to attention for someone to make an article on it etc. There are also some things that no major site is made for or interested in touching.)

And then there's the editors, who'll defend their page with a zealous righteousness, even reverting your changes so they can put their own in or finding a way to edit / delete / crush criticism of a person / book - usually by abusing the rules mentioned earlier. They're just ridiculous.

How do you all feel towards Wikipedia?

( I really don't think I stressed enough why I love it, though. )

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: Wikipedia
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 10:36:23 am »

Much the same reasons.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 10:37:33 am »

I like the wikipedia concept broadly speaking.

Obviously, however, as well as perks, it has flaws (edit wars, low reliability edits, susceptible to vandalism, e-penis contests between editors and admins...)

and I hate Steve Jobbs' douchebaggery. This, in younger years, made me state that I hated wikipedia, but this is not so. Wikipedia is ok, if flawed in some respects, it can still provide valuable info in a pinch. I think that serious textbooks are better, but it does act as a cheap fast source of info of varying reliability.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 10:44:04 am »

I don't research on Wikipedia.  Instead, I go to Wikipedia, find facts I want to cite for a paper, and scroll down and find where Wikipedia cites those facts.  I go to that site, and if it looks good I use it.
Shoes...

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 10:54:11 am »

Hi!

Cthulhu basically describes my attitude when I need detailed information. When I just want simple information on things that are not sexual or political or religious, I often just go with what Wikipedia says (I mean, I have not double-checked the information on rock layers provided on Wikipedia as I was only interested in them because of DF). So, for getting a picture of a rare plant or animal, it is good, but for anything people have strong emotions about, I don't consider it really worth it (except maybe when looking for synonyms for my Google search).

Deathworks

Mfbrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 11:59:23 am »

If they took out all of the trivia about anime/Buffy/furries/firefly/comicbooks at the bottom of every article, wikipedia would be a lot easier to love.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 01:20:05 pm »

Wikipedia's good if _you_ want to learn stuff about a topic. Not so great if you want to show that you've learned it.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 01:50:58 pm »

It's a great resource. It makes it easier for everybody to get information, and now there's no excuse to say you couldn't do research on something before you spew nonsense in an e-discussion.

The downside is that their community is in a perpetual state of cold war, and their regular users are megalomaniacs. I remember an article which got deleted 8 months after I rewrote it because the old article was a copy and paste from a website. But the new one wasn't. What's worse, it didn't even matter, because it was a barely notable topic.

Also, I like to add 'Wizard War', with a link to Harry Potter, on John Major's entry in 'List of British Prime Ministers', under 'Notable Events'. I do it all the time.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 01:55:33 pm »

If they took out all of the trivia about anime/Buffy/furries/firefly/comicbooks at the bottom of every article, wikipedia would be a lot easier to love.
you must hate tvtropes, then. thats pretty much half of the examples there!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 01:59:24 pm »

Wikipedia's good if _you_ want to learn stuff about a topic. Not so great if you want to show that you've learned it.

This one.

Actually, it sucks for learning anything with formulas. Not even good as a reference in that part.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 02:41:25 pm »

I don't like Wikipedia due to the Rule of Notablity. Tvtropes got it right, even if they don't have the same level of information.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 03:47:00 pm »

I don't like Wikipedia due to the Rule of Notablity. Tvtropes got it right, even if they don't have the same level of information.
You mean There Is No Such Thing As Notability?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 04:25:38 pm »

You mean There Is No Such Thing As Notability?
TVtropes...
Can't stop...
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 05:11:00 pm »

TVTropes is a bottomless pit of wasted time. At least, it doesn't feel wasted until you emerge 8 hours later hungry and tired...

Also, Wikipedia is my brain extension. Need some quick learnin'? Wikipedia! It might not always be correct, complete, or comprehensive, but it fills in gaps in my knowledge bank.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 06:00:17 pm »

I must say that Wikipedia can be pretty useful as an entry portal to most subjects. It's lacking massively in the chemistry department, if you've got a substance that's even slightly obscure, you're not going to find anything useful about it (much like most of the Internet actually, though you can usually get something useful from vendor sites)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4