Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where do you switch of immigration?  (Read 488 times)

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
Where do you switch of immigration?
« on: June 04, 2010, 08:08:22 am »

I want to see if I can do a fort with just my seven starter dwarves and their offspring, is there somewhere I can edit to switch off immigration?
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you switch of immigration?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 08:18:57 am »

There's no way to completely switch off immigration, but by editing [POPULATION_CAP:200] to [POPULATION_CAP:0], found in either data/init/init.txt (for versions 0.31 to 0.31.03 and 40d) or data/init/d_init.txt (for version 0.31.04 and 40d1 to d20 (or whatever the largest number is), you should have a maximum population of 0. It could be you have to play a bit with the value in order to remove all immigrants.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 08:20:48 am »

Thanks =) And editing it to population:0 will still allow children to be born though?
ENRAGED

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 10:00:08 am »

yes, should you wish to tamper with the amount of children in your fort, just scroll a bit down in the same file. There should be something like [CHILD_CAP:100:10000]. Just read what Toady has to say about it and it should become clear.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 11:04:18 am »

Hi!

To be precise, setting the pop cap lower than 8 should theoretically stop immigration. However, no matter what you do about the population cap, you will always get about three immigrant waves during the first year. Since this seems to be related to fortress activity, I would recommend starting with invaders turned off (which should allow you to start with minimizing activity for the first year) and then basically only building a simple dining room (it is unbelievable what crummy thing they consider a good dining room (^_^;; ), a dormitory, and a food storage to avoid rotting food and only at the beginning of autumn build the trade depot and maybe one or two little trinkets to give to the traders.

I was lucky this time and had 14 dwarves in my fortress after the unstoppable immigration was over, so something between 13 and 20 seems to be what you can expect.

And invaders can be turned on later during the game, so starting with it turned off does not mean you are completely left without any fun of that sort.

Deathworks

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 11:10:10 am »

Ok, luckily I stocked up on plenty of food/booze on that fort so I can afford to stay low-key for a year.

That you can turn on invaders once you're ready to deal with them isn't something I'd thought about before =D Thanks for the advice.
ENRAGED

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 11:20:57 am »

Hi!

Note, however, that kobolds and goblins need a little while to sniff you out. So, after turning INVADERS back on, you will probably get a few more seasons of peace before you get the seasons of pieces. But on the other hand, I am pretty sure that if you count on that delay, the RNG will speed up its service just for you :) :) :)

Deathworks