Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Xenonauts - Post cold war XCOM re-imagining - KICKSTARTER FUNDED!!  (Read 26627 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Xenonauts - Post cold war XCOM re-imagining - KICKSTARTER FUNDED!!
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2013, 12:27:01 pm »

I'm still on v18 at the moment. I should update, but I think it would mean I'd lose my save? I'm not sure.

Also encountered plenty of new enemy types by now.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2013, 12:55:39 pm »

v19 has been out for awhile. (or quite awhile if you count experimental builds)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2013, 12:59:24 pm »

But not available through the humble download page I download the game from, which is still v18. I don't actually have any idea how to get v19, or the experimentals.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2013, 01:00:18 pm »

But not available through the humble download page I download the game from, which is still v18.

The thing I read on it implied that it'd be up on Steam in the next day or so. Which means it's probably worth me updating when it comes out and trying out the game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2013, 01:02:24 pm »

I think I just need to get the Desura download. A second look through my e-mail has confirmed I have a key for that to (in addition to the humble bundle key) and that's probably got the most recent versions.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2013, 01:48:52 pm »

Desura should also have a thing if you want the steam key.

Experimentals are here.

Also, we really should get the title updated. Beta is a bit more relevant than the KS at this point,
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:50:28 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2014, 08:29:31 pm »

Just bumping because apparently the game is 'finished' now, if I'm reading this steam update correctly. The game will officially be 'released' in a couple weeks, but the game is pretty much done.

I haven't played it at all even though I've bought it, does it live up to what everyone was hoping it'd be?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2014, 09:50:13 pm »

I'd say so. I've played 97 hours of it, 43 in the last two weeks, and I've barely scratched the surface of it~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2014, 02:00:08 am »

Also looking forward playing this...how is the AI compared to the old one?
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2014, 02:03:11 am »

AI isn't stellar, but they've improved it a lot over the last few months/year.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2014, 02:32:41 am »

Is this the one without destructible terrain?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2014, 03:36:29 am »

Terrain is plenty destructible.

I played 150 hours  and I still haven't finished it ( mostly due to save breaking resets) and I can assure you that it is good, and filled with a lot of good old X-Com spirit.

ground combat is definitely more varied than in the original game. You have more kinds of grenades ( flashbangs to suppress* enemies, stun grenades to, well, stun them, and another kind), there are combat shields that are able to take an hit or 2 ( frontally. mostly used to breach UFOs) but most importantly there is cover. A lot of cover, which is perhaps the core tactical element. You need to use cover well to advance safely.
Aliens may not be the smartest around, but they use cover well, and can find you. Occasionally, they even use grenades, but for whatever reason that happens rarely. Aliens often have some special ability. Some of them see farther, some regenerate, some see through smoke, some are robots, some are powerful psionic,etc. ( a few other interesting abilities, but I am leaving those for you to discover)

There are a few changes to the geoscape game.

Economy is now based mostly on funding from nations, later in the game complemented by the multitude of ground missions. But make no mistakes, losing funding nations will hurt. Manufacturing is no longer profitable.
Air combat is less abstract than it was in the original game. Here  you control your interceptors on a tactical map, and need to evade enemy missiles, try to flank the enemy craft, gun them down with your cannon or blast them with your missiles. There are 2 kinds of interceptor for most of the game: a light one with cannons and light missiles and an heavy one without cannon and with the ability to mount both light and heavy missiles. This mode has an autoresolve.
Crash sites no longer give a reputation increase when completing them and if you want, you can just airstrike the site, and get  a small reward. However, doing so will net you no alien materials and much less money. It is also veryquick, cheap and carries no risk. Terror sites however carry an hefty penalty if you don't show up.

And a few other things...there are plenty of utility improvements and obviously graphical improvements. Game is set in cold war, world is no longer a sphere but a map , tech tree is different, no human psionics. etc.

and of course the most dreaded enemy of old is also in the game, and this time you can't shoot while flying :)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2014, 10:36:10 am »

Grenades are rare because only higher-level aliens can use them, like leaders or above. Since there's only one or two leaders or higher aliens until you get into like... Cruisers and such, they're rare.

pedrousz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2014, 10:58:37 am »

I played a piratebay version (shameless pirater) long time ago. I found it fun, but there was just like 2 or 3 maps, what was really... boring. I never played the original x-com, so maybe I'm looking it wrong, but the developers did expand the map pool or something? I have a few bucks on steam and might buy it soon. Watching some gameplay right now.

thanks guys

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2014, 11:01:08 am »

Yes, the map pool is much larger, and they added/have a map editor so there are map-packs on the forum.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11