Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Xenonauts - Post cold war XCOM re-imagining - KICKSTARTER FUNDED!!  (Read 26649 times)

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Xenonauts - Post cold war XCOM re-imagining - in early development
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2011, 07:07:32 am »

Or maybe an xcom game set after the aliens take over the world... Where you control some sort of resistance group...
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2011, 07:12:01 am »

Or maybe an xcom game set after the aliens take over the world... Where you control some sort of resistance group...

Check out the UFO: Aftermath and it's sequels.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2011, 09:25:54 am »

Cool. I'll try it  :)
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2012, 02:56:01 am »

I managed to get my hands on an alpha copy, and bugs aside, it's good so far! :D
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2012, 10:17:34 am »

I managed to get my hands on an alpha copy, and bugs aside, it's good so far! :D

Cool. Care to elaborate a bit on it? How well does it actually stack up as a remake of X-Com? 
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2012, 10:49:18 am »

Consider me INCREDIBLY jealous. God damn it.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2012, 08:55:49 pm »

Cool. Care to elaborate a bit on it? How well does it actually stack up as a remake of X-Com?

It stacks up as a pretty good copy so far. There's only a basic 'greys' sort of alien so far, but I believe the devs are going to expand on that sooner than later. It's a bit unstable dealing with field inventories, but ground combat is as fun as the original X-Com, and still semi-unforgiving. I'm not very good at air combat, but I think it has potential to expand into something fun. Destructible terrain is still there, of course, and I haven't gotten insanely far in, but it's still good for an alpha.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2012, 11:23:26 pm »

If you want you can pre-order it, I can say from experience it's already a solid game that is stable (for those with a fear of alpha stage games  :P) as of the latest release.

Essentially this is X-COM set in the 1970's during the middle of the Cold War. Terrain destruction, panicking troops, 12+ assault teams are all in the game so far. Currently it is still alpha and the first stages of the research tree is available for game testing (laser weapons and armor upgrades). Soon more aliens will be added to playtest as well an AI improvement is in the works. Overall it seems to be keeping with the X-COM formula by retaining the ability for larger squads, TU's, and other classic components the Newer XCOM (by Firaxis) appears to lack. Blaster bomb is one of the casualties in this interpretation as it was deemed too unbalanced but in its stead armor "classes" such as scout or assault pattern with varying effects are said to be in the works if my memory serves. If you have any questions about the game feel free to pop by the forums and have a gander. Some pretty interesting things on there.

Forum: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/

Some of the game screen art for your perusement:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2012, 12:33:48 am »

I pre-ordered and have enjoyed each new version with zero buyers remorse.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2012, 12:43:12 am »

Sounds like I may need to actually pre-order this game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2012, 01:01:02 am »

I've already decided that they are doing a good job with the game - after playing the alpha and getting a real sense that they are getting somewhere with the 'feel' of the game.

The problem now is avoiding it for the rest of the development cycle, so that on 'release' day I can play it properly, and get genuinely terrified by the crazy aliens and their crazy alien guns ...

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2012, 08:26:24 am »

I've already decided that they are doing a good job with the game - after playing the alpha and getting a real sense that they are getting somewhere with the 'feel' of the game.

The problem now is avoiding it for the rest of the development cycle, so that on 'release' day I can play it properly, and get genuinely terrified by the crazy aliens and their crazy alien guns ...

This is my problem too!

I won an alpha code last week and have it installed, but don't want to play it for fear of spoiling the fun of discovering new and scary alien races. I still remember when I was a kid and discovered what the Chrysalids did for the first time  :'(

This game can't be finished fast enough!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2012, 01:15:30 am »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/69341191/xenonauts

Looks like they're adding a Kickstarter to get some extra funding - they have enough money now to do the game but they'd really love to get a small fulltime team going in an office to work on some extra features and polish, and possibly speed up the release as well. Good news for everyone as well: They put the latest build out for free on the Kickstarter page as a demonstration of what they have.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2012, 08:09:44 am »

I've been on the fence about buying this for quite a while.  Gonna check out the current build now.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2012, 08:19:46 am »

Well thats quite nice of them. And I'd been on the fence as well.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11