Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 50

Author Topic: Browser-based game: Illyriad // Bay12 Alliance Formed! Updates on first post!  (Read 57664 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Depends. I've got 4 of my 5 Lumberjacks at level 4(last one is 3), and with the Wood Bonus prestige perk, I'm pulling in over 100/hr at 5% tax rate. Seeing as caravans usually take about 30-60min to get to a resource pile(requiring that you be lucky enough have one close by), take an hour to load 200 of a resource(also requiring you to be lucky enough both not to be interupted and there's actually enough there), and take the same time coming back, it comes to a rough income of 75-100/hr. Even if you research the loading speed upgrades(which take a crapton of research points), it only goes as high as 300/hr. Sending more caravans or upgrading capacity doesn't work, because you're just spending more time there, increasing the chances of being pushed off or running out.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile

So is it just me is town generation just not anywhere near high enough to compete with caravan retrieval, especially since caravans are much cheaper and faster to upgrade? I mean, obviously there's the potential for conflict this way, but it seems to be a whole lot faster.

Its a 3 hour trip for me to get wood, sure, BUT I get 400 wood for it! (two caravans). In that same time, my wood industry I've spent quite a bit upgrading can only get 80 wood...

So screw upgrading that crap anymore - all it does is take up the food I could be spending on beer. 50% tax rate, here I come!

The thing is, is that its random. One day you may not find what you need, and your production goes to a halt. Also, your enemies can exploit your caravans. Just simply occupy the resource tiles, and now you have to fight your way through. If you cant, you  end up with a slow resource income, and you can see where this goes.

Also, upgrading your resource buildings means more food usage, which means more population, which means more gold tax.

Finely, there will be a tipping point where your town resource collection will simply be always higher than what you can find around you(im talking like a couple weeks from now).
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So is it just me is town generation just not anywhere near high enough to compete with caravan retrieval, especially since caravans are much cheaper and faster to upgrade? I mean, obviously there's the potential for conflict this way, but it seems to be a whole lot faster.

Its a 3 hour trip for me to get wood, sure, BUT I get 400 wood for it! (two caravans). In that same time, my wood industry I've spent quite a bit upgrading can only get 80 wood...

So screw upgrading that crap anymore - all it does is take up the food I could be spending on beer. 50% tax rate, here I come!

The thing is, is that its random. One day you may not find what you need, and your production goes to a halt. Also, your enemies can exploit your caravans. Just simply occupy the resource tiles, and now you have to fight your way through. If you cant, you  end up with a slow resource income, and you can see where this goes.

Also, upgrading your resource buildings means more food usage, which means more population, which means more gold tax.

Finely, there will be a tipping point where your town resource collection will simply be always higher than what you can find around you(im talking like a couple weeks from now).
Thing is, your enemies could raid you often, before you can amass enough to do much of value. If you've got some 600 resources coming in at once, you can still advance, enough to put up a fight. Early on it's definitely more useful to build up caravans to at least 5, I believe, as the resource investment to get production up and running is much higher.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile

Two opposing forces clash against each other.
Cavalry comes into its own when able to strike hostile forces at will, and from unexpected directions - and nowhere is this more feasible than on open plains. Lightly armoured spear units, however, prefer terrain where there's some cover available.

Fighting defensively on open plains, cavalry draws strength from the ability to form and reform their lines of engagement depending on the direction of battle, and it is here where cavalry excels.Attackers: Unit: Quantity: Casualties: Survivors:
Commander: Captain Ironblood Yeoman 1 Damaged for 100, 0 health remains.
Troops: Yeomen 4 4 0

Despite your troops' defeat, word reaches you concerning the defenders' forces in this battle.

Defenders: Unit: Quantity: Casualties: Survivors:
Commander: Barid Bel Medar Militiaman 1 Damaged for 14, 10 health remains.
Troops: Militiamen 5 2 3

Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Okay. We've lost two armies. My army (biggest) was first to get the main strike, but THE LUCKY BASTARD WAS AWAY, and HE ARRIVED IN 5 MINUTES WINDOW after me and before other two guys. What the hell of a luck is it. Later he defended with 10 guys against 10-15 and won... Now I have 2 hours till I can send my army again. What the hell of bad luck is it? YOU DO NOT PRAY TO ARMOK PROPERLY!

Oh so it's you Morul, Spartan?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Glyph
I gotta go to office so I'm typing this really fast. Gathering resources off World Map is good, but once you reach level 4 or 5 upgrades, you'll be amazed at the production rate. My production rate is:
Wood +124
Clay +56
Iron +85
Stone +93

I can't be active all the time so when my caravans are idle, I still get resources from my resources production buildings. Besides, caravans have a chance of being interrupted. Plus higher level buildings mean higher food consumption means more population means more income means more tax revenues.

Anyway, I told you I couldn't transfer weapons yet, but what I can do is to send you 300 clay. You're short on that aren't you? I'll see if I can do it sneakily at work. Just PM me in-game when you have the space. Sorry for the delay!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What is the best bang for the buck as far as spending prestige goes? Should I use it now, or save it for later?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile

What is the best bang for the buck as far as spending prestige goes? Should I use it now, or save it for later?

I think you can only use prestige when you have a premium account. You start with a premium account for the first week, I think. I plan to use mine around the last two or so days to get better effects.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hard to say, but after a few upgrades to your resource generation, the boosts to them will help.

Just remember, you'll have to use them soon, or you'll have to use some points to buy the prestige account, likely.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Akura, we've got a not B12er who wants to join StA.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Yes, you can use them only while you're premium. I used mine today.

Anyway, we have a situation. we pushed that guy and took some resources and I've got some XP, but now he apologized and he asks to join our alliance.

We have to options; to accept him or to reject him.

I am against rejecting him right away because he could immediately find a huge alliance out of fear that we continue to push him, and then we will be in the ass.

However I am not really sure about getting him in right away. We don't know who he is. But we know that he's not bigger than some of us and attacked a guy of Alliance, it means that he's not very friendly with his brains.

My vote would be to tell him that we need to upgrade our consulate to get him in but do not act further, at least for now. We shall see who he is better this way, and also won't reject him right away.

But stop attacks, he's got all his troops killed. We don't want huge armies at our doors because of some newbie who cannot give us anything.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well the truth is we do need to upgrade our consulate just to get in the last Bay12ers... so ya, I'm for it but only after the rest of the forum is on.
Nom nom nom

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

As I said in the game, I am actually Against it. I don't think we need that random person. I am ok with random persons from our forums thought because you're all some sort of an internet family for me (and I can always predict you in some way or another because we're all equally insane), but a totally foreign man who doesn't understand what he does is not very welcome IMHO, we will get more people wanting to join from the Bay12 first anyway, so I would prioritize them.

But we should calm him down so he doesn't run for another alliance for now.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've went ahead and said to him to contact Akura and about the consulate.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I accepted a mission I can't actually DO yet - so that prestige is going to be spent upgrading my market and research center. I have resources and time, so why not get things rolling. And more caravans, yay.

Also,
Sorry to buri for kicking him off those resources.
I don't think we should let random guy join unless he had marvelous RP. I very much doubt he did.

Update: Weird, I failed the quest - I thought I had until... Ah, this time isn't local, is it? I see.

Also, is that clay arriving any time soon? I could really use it...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 08:12:32 pm by GlyphGryph »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 50