Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50

Author Topic: Browser-based game: Illyriad // Bay12 Alliance Formed! Updates on first post!  (Read 57508 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Introduction
To those of you who don't have experience playing browser-based city-building game, I've had my fair share of them and I could say this is the best one I've found so far.

To those of you familiar with Tribal Wars, this game has everything that Tribal Wars has and many more features such as:
  • Military units can be organised into different armies and divisions (with each division being led by a commander who will gain experience through battles) and ordered to attack, blockade, or siege enemy settlements;
  • Many items to research, from brewing (yes!) to being able to build another settlement;
  • Magic, with three different schools: geomancy (self-buffs), blight (curses), and runes;
  • Seasonal cycle, with each season providing different bonus to resources production;
  • Lunar cycle, with each phase providing different bonus to research and magic; and
  • Complete quests in tavern to obtain their rewards.
Nothing could explain this game better than the official guides from the developers:
http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/help_forum9.html

This game is new. The first (and currently only) server has only been online since March 2010. New players are placed in the outer edge of the world, providing them opportunities to grow.

The developers
The developers are constantly updating the game, with update reports provided to players every now and then. They also actively participate in the forum, answering questions and taking suggestions to improve the game.

Current dev list:
http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/current-dev-list_topic98.html

Premium account benefits
Like you, I avoid spending money on browser-based games, in which, premium account users may gain unfair advantages over non-premium account users. In this game, premium account benefits are also offered (called Prestige); however, the developers stated clearly that these have been designed carefully to not 'break the game'. IMO, compared to Tribal Wars, the gap between premium and non-premium accounts is relatively small. So, don't worry about not being able to enjoy the game if you don't plan on getting a premium account.

UPDATE: I've been playing with a normal account for some time for testing purpose and I haven't noticed any significant drawback.

Registration
If you don't mind, please register under my link (my username is Aelfric):
http://uk1.illyriad.co.uk/view_player_registration.asp?RPID=13947

Otherwise, go here:
http://uk1.illyriad.co.uk

In term of starting location, you have two choices:
  • South West. Many players started in SW and our Alliance capital (Akura's capital) is located there. We expect we will have strong presence in SW.
  • South East. A few of us started in SE, including myself. It would be nice if we could evenly distribute our presence by having new players starting in SE to avoid overpopulation in SW. However, the choice is yours.
We have no players located in other regions, to the best of my knowledge.

Active players from Bay12 (and their Illyriad user names if applicable)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note:
  • Please PM me your Illyriad user name if you play but are not included on this list.
  • Please PM Akura in-game or post here if you play the game but have not been invited to the alliance.
  • To those whose names have a strikethrough on the list, you have gone inactive, but if you'd like to be active again and receive an invite to the alliance, PM Akura in-game or post here.

Starting tips (only applicable during the protection period)

Note:
  • Should you have any other tips, post them and I'll put them here and give you credit. And feel free to criticise the tips I put on the list.
  • We are learning by doing. What works in the first three days when you're still under newbie protection may not work afterward. Once we learn more about the game, we'll provide general tips as well.
Alliance
[9 June 2010] Slaves to Armok alliance has been formed, thanks to Akura!

[14 Sep 2010] Slaves to Armok continues its campaign against Skulls and Bones, led by the tyrant Zork2010. Two enemy members have been neutralised (one is a key member currently held as Prisoner of War by us). The alliance has gained more recognition and established diplomatic relationships with a couple of other large alliances. Talk about making the alliance going public (accepting non-Bay12ers) is underway.

We can chat in-game. Go to Options > Chat and enable Alliance Chat.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 07:24:11 pm by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Browser-based game: Illyriad
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 06:38:40 am »

Interesting. Looking at it.

By the way, the newest alliance, Dwarfes Alliance... you wouldn't be involved with that creating, would you :P?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 07:00:27 am »

No, that name is too plain. I can't even build a building required to join a guild, yet.  :P
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 07:20:07 am »

I'm interested in it..
And y'know.. Standard "Bay 12 super awesome clan!" request.

I'm starting in the South West? If that's of any interest.
So yeah.

[AND I'M A DWARF.]

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 07:28:48 am »

I'm trying to find "Add a friend" button but haven't found one so far. Evilgrim, near your town there is a mining shaft! Not sure what it does, but that seems like a dwarf's comfy home down there! I envy you!

On the other hand, there are two elven towns near my town. MUWAHAHAHA! Magic, eh?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 07:35:10 am »

Human. SW. Probably near Evilgrim. Also saw Evilgrim talking in the chat.
Just finished building a library. :)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 07:46:17 am »

EvilEdDead
Dwarf, SW.
Only created an account. work calls, so will explore/play later.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 09:18:43 pm by n9103 »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 07:59:11 am »

Figured out how to work the map, and took a look around my grand imperial captial small, quiet little settlement. Lots of elves around...

Think I can buy endless bins of useless cloth and crippled exotic animals from them ;D?

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 08:00:26 am »

Dwarf, SW.
Only created an account. work calls, so will explore/play later.

Just make sure the three days protection period and a week of prestige account don't go to waste.  :)

Anyway, from now one, can you please mention your user name in case it's different than the one you use here?

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 08:28:42 am »

This actually sounds / looks interesting. I'm playing AstroEmpires with some Bay 12 fellows right now, but I might have some more free time coming up in a few days. If I can find out for sure, I'll probably join you gentledwarves.

Never heard of this game before, but I'm pretty new to the whole browser game thing. Does look pretty interesting.

Few quick questions:
  • Is the world "permanent" or does it reset every so many rounds and start over?
  • If someone starts a few days / weeks late, how screwed are they?
  • How can we dwarves work together? In AstroEmpires I cannot share tech or resources, for example, I can only send ships to help an allied base. No trading at all.
Thanks in advance. I'll check out the website and read up on it more carefully later today. If I can negotiate with myself to free up the time, I'll sign up under someone's recruitment link.

OH -- and one last thing. How much of an advantage does the premium account / paid stuff give? In AE it's pretty extreme.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 08:41:01 am »

I dunno about world permanancy, I just started, and it seems to me that this server just started.

Working together is quite possible. With required techs and buildings, alliances can be formed, and with caravans, resources can be traded. Techs CANNOT be traded, even between your own cites(yep, each city has to research from scratch), but Book resources can be traded which somehow correlate into tech points(which are spent on researching).

From what I've seen of the Prestige bonuses available to purchase, they ARE a significant advantage, but NOT neccessarily game-breaking.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 08:46:40 am »

This actually sounds / looks interesting. I'm playing AstroEmpires with some Bay 12 fellows right now, but I might have some more free time coming up in a few days. If I can find out for sure, I'll probably join you gentledwarves.

Never heard of this game before, but I'm pretty new to the whole browser game thing. Does look pretty interesting.

Few quick questions:
  • Is the world "permanent" or does it reset every so many rounds and start over?
  • If someone starts a few days / weeks late, how screwed are they?
  • How can we dwarves work together? In AstroEmpires I cannot share tech or resources, for example, I can only send ships to help an allied base. No trading at all.
Thanks in advance. I'll check out the website and read up on it more carefully later today. If I can negotiate with myself to free up the time, I'll sign up under someone's recruitment link.

OH -- and one last thing. How much of an advantage does the premium account / paid stuff give? In AE it's pretty extreme.

I'll try my best to answer your questions.

1. From what I gathered, the world is permanent. There are no resets or rounds (like you, I avoid these, too).

2. The current server, which is the only one running, has been around for 111 days. New players have three day protection and are assigned to a town in the outer edge of the world. I've only seen other newbies around my area and all of them have less population that I have in my town, which I just started two hours ago.

3. There are many different resources, at least 10 in total. You have the standard woods, clay, iron, etc. And also books (can be converted into Research Points by the owner). Players can put offers in the marketplace or send resources to other players.

4. About premium account (called Prestige here), the benefits are mostly an increase in an individual resource production for a week or the ability to queue more units in the same building. Probably the most 'game-breaking' is the ability to instantly complete all construction order in a town.

Prestige benefits (the number at the end is the cost in Prestige Points):

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 09:01:55 am »

I see. Thank you both for the replies -- having trouble focusing on work at the moment anyway, so I think I'll give this a shot. I'll make a Dwarf and start in the SW, then, and update this post once I know my name.

Edit: In as Urist.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:09:55 am by SeaBee »

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 09:17:01 am »

Welcome aboard! The tutorial is fairly long, but useful.

Anyway, I just found out I can send out my caravan to harvest resources on the world map.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 09:53:01 am »

Might I suggest if we have an alliance, it atleast have a properly spelled name? (Dwarfes isn't right in any fashion at all.)
I'd personally prefer if it was more specific to DF/Bay12 than a generic 'dwarf _' name. ('Urists of Foreboding' or something semi-silly even.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50