Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50

Author Topic: Browser-based game: Illyriad // Bay12 Alliance Formed! Updates on first post!  (Read 57519 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Browser-based game: Illyriad - List of Bay12ers in first post!
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2010, 09:49:55 am »

From what I understand, humans gain Alliance bonus, leading to the Alliance being founded by a player who plays as human. That's why Harmless?, one of the biggest alliance, has a human player as the founder, but the directors themselves consist of different races.

As of now, the Alliance features have not been finalised.

A forum reply by GM Stormcow:
NAPs are Non-Agression-Pacts.  Alliances with NAPs between themselves cannot attack each other until the NAP is recinded, and subsequently war is declared.  NAPs do not, in and of themselves, have any direct bearings on the current Illyriad world (although they will do shortly - the current thinking is to extend the "War Pending" period between alliances who fall out with each other but were in NAPs substantially).  At the moment, however, they are a public declaration of who your friends are.

Confederations are an entirely different matter.  Having a confederation with another alliance will drag you into any wars that are declared by any alliance on any Confederation member or by any Confederation member.   On the plus side, Confederation members will also share data that they gather (scouting reports, military outcomes etc) with other members of any alliance in the Confederation.  This is, of course, pending the Diplomatic History and Military History report tabs that are very near the top of the development priority list!  Expect them towards the end of this week.

I'm writing an official guide to Alliances at the moment.  There's a lot to learn about them, so there's a lot to say - and because some things are in flux at the moment, I'm holding off "completing" the guide until they're completely settled in the code.

I suggest that we hold back from holding the Alliance, but start building the resources needed to form one, until we fully understand what the features are.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2010, 10:00:15 am »

Akura, what level is your consulate?

And it may be a good idea if we start voting for the Alliance name. In the earlier post, we agreed on Slaves to Armok, with ticker code StA. Anyone disagrees or has any other suggestions?

Next step is to decide the ministers. What ministers do we need and who is the best person to take each role. IMO, the following roles must be there:
1. Foreign Affair -- Handling diplomacy, i.e. negotiating NAP, declaring war, resolving disputes between members and non-members
2. Recruitment -- Promoting the Alliance, head hunting other players (assuming we accept non-Bay12 players), and assessing applicants
3. War -- Organisation of attacks and units allocation
4. Espionage -- Provide information about potential threats and known enemy forces

Not sure if this is necessary, but if the members' geographical locations are spread out among different regions, I'm thinking of dividing the command structure into different "theaters" (e.g. OBK West and OBK East in Wehrmacht in WW2). Ours would be SW and SE. However, if only a couple out of 15 or so members that we have now are located in SE, then just drop this idea.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:04:22 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2010, 10:16:25 am »

Level 2, but will be able to start the upgrade to 3 in a short while. Spent most last night's resource haul on upgrading resource buildings.

EDIT: Upgrading to 3 now.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:23:41 am by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2010, 10:20:34 am »

Slaves to Armok (StA) is fine with me. As for the organization parts, I really don't care/know. I leave that to expedition leaders, outpost diplomat and if we're stuck with one, the baron/count/duke.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Browser-based game: Illyriad - See first post for updates!
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2010, 12:04:21 pm »

I rather like StA, or slaves to armok,
Nom nom nom

Dervin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2010, 01:30:07 pm »

Are any of you around x-62 y-308?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2010, 01:39:46 pm »

Three screens East of you(at max zoom-out).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2010, 01:45:37 pm »

anyone know what the abandoned mineshafts, ruined towers, fiery mountains, ect (aka special terrain) actually do?
Nom nom nom

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2010, 01:56:03 pm »

Occasionally they spawn resources. Send a caravan to start harvesting. Just remember that if someone else's caravan comes along, they'll bump yours off and it'll come home less than full. And if they send troops, or if troops are already there when your caravan arrives, your caravan dies. Usually, they won't send troops though.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2010, 01:59:02 pm »

ah that's it eh? thanks.
Also anyone near -69,-69?
Nom nom nom

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2010, 02:40:41 pm »

I'll give it a go  :). Name is Peripheral and city's name is Wake. Spawned in the South West.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2010, 06:11:49 pm »

Alright, Consulate is being upgraded to level 5. It'll take half an hour to build, plus 2 hours to research Finesse.

Halfman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2010, 06:27:07 pm »

Sweet. STA here we come.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2010, 06:37:35 pm »

Awesome, Akura. Do you know if we need establishment fee or some such? I'm still going through the forum looking for more information about alliance and how humans have diplomatic advantage in it. Please enlighten me if you know something that the rest of us don't.

GM Scarecow said:
We are putting a guide to alliances together, however to answer your questions:

1. Obligations.  Entirely up to your alliance to set out their policy for mutual attack and mutual defence.  There are no game-enforced obligations except that Alliances in NAPs (Non-Agression Pacts) and Confederations (Powerblocs) are unable to send hostile military missions against each other's members.  Diplomatic missions are, of course, exempt.

If you pursue military action on your own it does not obligate your alliance in any "enforced game mechanic" way - but you might drag your Alliance into a war they don't want anyway; it all depends on how your target player responds and what his or her capabilities are.

Most alliances set policies regarding military actions in place that they expect members to adhere to, but - again - it's entirely up to the Alliance.

2. Alliance Roles
The Alliance Role Names & Heirarchies of importance are set up by the Alliance leadership.

So one alliance might call the leader role "General" and another alliance might call it "Evil Dictator".  We will shortly be displaying the Role Names, as chosen by the Alliance leadership, next to each player on the Alliance Summary page, so you will see how other alliances organise and name themselves.

Many Alliances name the Roles by function.  So you'll have an 'Alliance Leader', a 'Diplomat' responsible for NAPs etc, a 'Recruitment Officer', a 'Defence Minister' etc.  Some sensible naming convention makes it easier for anyone to get in touch with the right person when they have something to discuss.

It is, however, entirely up to the Alliance how they name their Roles, and - indeed - how many Roles they have.

3. Alliance Tax Rate
If an Alliance has a tax rate set (ie non zero), then Alliance Tax Collectors leave the Alliance Capital City and collect taxes from the members at 1 week intervals after the player joined the Alliance.  These tax collectors colelct Gold from Alliance members and bring it back to the Capital.

Don't worry, though - when you join an Alliance the Alliance taxation is deducted at source from everything you earn, so it's not as if your gold coffer will suddenly drop when the tax collectors come round - the taxes were already set aside from your gold generated.

What your Alliance leadership decides to spend the Gold on is entirely up to them!

4. Trade Benefits
No.  Excepting, of course, that internal alliance trade helps everyone in the alliance rather than helping potential competitors / enemies.

We do have a task on the Development List somewhere to allow players in an Alliance to offer trades on the Marketplace that are flagged as "Alliance only" which means the only people who can see and accept these trades are in the Alliance.  This should make it easier for players to organise alliance internal trade offers.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 06:42:35 pm by BuriBuriZaemon »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2010, 06:50:50 pm »

if anyone in game has any horses that they could trade for 200 food a peice, I'd be much apritiative, I'd need to start with 200 for 1 horse at the start though, since I need caravans badly XD
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50