Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I embarked at a human town...?!  (Read 9027 times)

Vilhelm Haughton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I embarked at a human town...?!
« on: June 03, 2010, 09:52:34 pm »

Okay, so I'm kinda new to dwarf fortress, been playing it for a month or so.  I didn't think you could embark where a town was already located...is this normal?  I'm using the latest release, no mods or anything.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I embarked at a human town...?!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 09:55:24 pm »

Yep, you can embark on human towns and elf...places its normal. You just can't embark on Dwarven settlements.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 09:56:20 pm »

Or rather, you can't embark on your own race's settlements. If you mod the game to make elves playable, you can't live in that neck of the woods.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 10:00:02 pm »

Now box them in and drown them!

But yea, totally normal. For extra fun the more experience players have been known to embark at goblin dark towers.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Vilhelm Haughton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 10:10:18 pm »

haha, well I assigned each of there beds to a dwarf which is funny.  I'll be sure and post what horrible things I do to them.  What have you guys done in the past??

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 10:13:40 pm »

Or rather, you can't embark on your own race's settlements. If you mod the game to make elves playable, you can't live in that neck of the woods.
You modded the game to make elves playable? You're not a dwarf, you're an elf! (Literally, since you made them playable)
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 10:14:26 pm »

You modded the game to make elves playable? You're not a dwarf, you're an elf! (Literally, since you made them playable)

And even if you make elves playable, you still can't embark on mountainhomes.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 10:15:26 pm »

Its kinda bugged now. The residents don't really do anything, although they will try to kill any wildlife or invader that shows up.

They also don't care if you take all their stuff from the shops or even collapse their houses and use it for firewood. Everything in the town is yours if you (re)claim it. If you do that you'll jack your fortress wealth up to absurd levels and in D40 at least, you'd have huge migrant waves show up before spring.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 10:18:15 pm »

Its kinda bugged now. The residents don't really do anything, although they will try to kill any wildlife or invader that shows up.

They also don't care if you take all their stuff from the shops or even collapse their houses and use it for firewood. Everything in the town is yours if you (re)claim it. If you do that you'll jack your fortress wealth up to absurd levels and in D40 at least, you'd have huge migrant waves show up before spring.

If humans invade, you will suddenly find all the townies rising up to attack you.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 11:04:22 pm »

I've never done it myself, Mr Quick To Point Fingers :P Frankly I don't even know how one would play elves. Their 'forest retreats' are just a bunch of elves all standing in the middle of nowhere. Now, if we had unlimited amounts of wood, I could probably build a real forest retreat, but the elves wouldn't take too kindly to such deforesting.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 01:32:26 am »

I've never done it myself, Mr Quick To Point Fingers :P Frankly I don't even know how one would play elves. Their 'forest retreats' are just a bunch of elves all standing in the middle of nowhere. Now, if we had unlimited amounts of wood, I could probably build a real forest retreat, but the elves wouldn't take too kindly to such deforesting.
Mod in a method to both Clearcut and to Replant trees when harvested, Ie when an Elf sings wood from the tree it devolves into a Sap while dropping wood...

Anyway just to clerify...

To Embark on Human Town/City, Elf Retreat, Goblin Dark Tower and what other modded in race that uses those templates are able to be embarked on no matter what Civ is controllable, it has been that way for a long time now, and yes if you are sieged by the same race as those living in the town at the time, the AI will convert them to Hostile, a known flaw that originated but to small to be a major fix for quite some time now aswell. It used to be that if you embarked on a Goblin Fort they were hostile from the start, no longer the case...

To Embark on a Dwarven Site NOW MATTER Whom it is controllable is not available, there is a reason somewhere, but it hasn't been brought up enough to be remembered.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Retributi0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 05:38:22 am »

Haha, that's awesome! I just started playing this game a few days ago, but once I learn the ropes and get the hang of mechanics and magma pumping, I'm doing that >=D

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 07:07:12 am »

Now, if we had unlimited amounts of wood, I could probably build a real forest retreat, but the elves wouldn't take too kindly to such deforesting.
Mod in a custom workshop and call it "Altar of Lumber". Mod a custom reaction so you get looooooots of wood as the product for either free or some suitable ingredient (how do prepared hearts sound?). The other elves will still think you're deforesting, but you now have a way to 'pray' for wood without harming a real tree. Since killing animals is only justifiable in self-defence for elves, better tempt some sentient species to come over so you can butcher them for hearts, which you can sacrifice to get lots of wood quickly.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 08:14:48 am »

That's why you attack animals with non-lethal means first to piss them off. Once they attack you it counts as self-defence.

Or maybe I just don't get the elven point of view.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 08:21:27 am »

Haha, that's awesome! I just started playing this game a few days ago, but once I learn the ropes and get the hang of mechanics and magma pumping, I'm doing that >=D
So you're going to try it in a couple of months?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.
Pages: [1] 2