Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: items & water pressure  (Read 697 times)

Lukas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
items & water pressure
« on: June 03, 2010, 09:13:16 pm »

I was thinking about building something of a sewage system in my fort (for refuse), but had some doubts about it, particularly its effectiveness. My question is: will pressurized water carry items; or will they be stuck to the floor and unable to go anywhere?

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: items & water pressure
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 09:33:00 pm »

I think water will only move items if it flows into a tile with less water.   For example, say you block a river with a floodgate, then open it.  The 7/7 tile flowing into the new empty tile will move stuff, but not any of the ones that stay at 7/7.   

Also, there is a bug where sometimes items moved by water sorta disappear.  They'll show up on the stocks screen and you can zoom to the tile there were last at, but the tile will appear empty and dwarfs won't be able to interact with them.  I've had it happen once so far in 31.04, and a couple of times in 40d.

Lukas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 10:00:21 am »

alright, thanks! I can give that a try and see if it works. Do you know how far objects might travel in that moving water then?

hmm sounds like a weir bug, thanks for the heads up. although i guess it's not too big of an issue especially if you want to move objects to get rid of them

Coronel_Niel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 01:53:44 pm »

Do a loop, keep the water level low if you can. Start at 7 and end in 1. This way, the water will move the item as it changes from 7-6-5-4-3-2-1, then loop the water back around. It may be hard to do it like this though.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 10:07:17 pm »

I did this. I made the ocean feed a set of pumps, which feed into a single wide long corridor. and then pumped everything back into the ocean. Sometimes it will only get rid of half the refuse. Like all of it will disappear, then a dwarf will walk over and spawn from an empty tile 8 things of refuse. but it seemed to just stop itself after a few goes anyways. I made my dwarfs drag refuse to a high z level and the water dropped it down, but I've never made it pressurize up a z level. You could probably test it though.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 10:30:13 pm »

Depends on the item.

Heavy things like rocks won't move. Rope reed underwear will. Corpses depends on pressure. Remains and partial skeletons will, though.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.