Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: All hail the mighty Illithid Empire! (Illithid fort Version 2 posted)  (Read 11346 times)

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DFFD WIP listing updated with saved world.  World created using DF version .06.  You can play as an Illithid fort in this save (Dwarf Forts still work as in vanilla, with the exception of the rxns needed to be able to use illithid trade goods).

There are a few abandoned Dark Towers around, near the Illithid homeland.  I advise embarking on top of one of these ruins, for the full Illithid experience!  To install, unzip and put it in your data/saves folder.  The save contains all necessary raws.  To start an Illithid fort, start the game in Fortress mode and make sure you have an illithid civ selected.

Ok, I've finally uploaded the next WIP version.  Pets still don't work, but I think I've fixed the worst reaction problems.  I've also marked dangerous rxns with a *P*, for psychic pollution.  Because the first thing I did last time was gas one of my own workers   :-[.

Some reactions added at the other temples.  There seems to be a problem with the bars of latent fire.  The idea is for you to use a stockpile to lay a line of 'em and they'd catch each other on fire once you ignited them.  But they don't seem to catch each other on fire.  dfprobe says the temperature in the next space is hot enough (at least, temp1 is.  temp2 is still at ambient.  not sure what that means).  Not sure what's wrong.

I've set the illithid nobles to use some of the rarer castes, in an attempt to guarantee their arrival as a reward for climbing the noble ladder.  I'm curious if it will work.  There is a free wealth generating reaction at the alter of the god-brain, which will allow you to quickly generate the wealth required to attract the nobles.

I'll post more sometime tomorrow about what all the reactions are supposed to do, and about what's supposed to show up with each level of noble, but it's almost 2am now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 12:51:03 am by D_E »
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: All hail the mighty Illithid Empire!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 09:24:07 pm »

The Illithid Empire is compatible with the illithids in Deon’s Genesis mod
Thank you very much for this :).

The Illithid Empire is composed of 26 castes
O_O

I must play with this mod.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 10:07:02 pm »

Brain gobblers prone to insanity and immorality? Excellent!

I will grab this.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 10:08:19 pm »

Cool!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 10:35:55 pm »

Veeeery interesting!
2 questions
I take it that the illithids are the palayble race, am I right?
I usually only download pre-packed mods, how can I make this one work?

Thanks a lot!
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 10:24:18 am »

The illithids are not currently a playable race.  The illithid entity (civilization) is very generic right now, I'm currently working on making it less generic.

To install this mod, copy the files packaged in the zip into your df_31_03\raw\objects (to include it in any future worlds) or into a df_31_03\data\save\region1\raw\objects (or save\region2 etc, to include it in a currently existing world, although I'm not sure if it will successfully load the new underground civ or not).
Mods I've done:

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 05:06:15 pm »

Thank you very much sir, I eagerly await the moment when I shall be able to play with my favorite tentacle monster, for now, ill be happy enough to just murder them!
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 05:23:39 pm »

Does anyone have any ideas for illithid trade goods and such?  Or ideas for a playable illithid civilization?

I've already implemented brains in jars as an illithid trade good, along with reactions for taking the brains OUT of the jars (yielding a prepared elf, human, or dwarf brain), should you be so inclined.  I wanted to create some form of strong, rotting metal as a trade good, but I couldn't get that to work.   I think I'll also create some sort of item that lets dwarves psychically train a skill for free (but has a chance of detrimental, or even lethal, side effects).

As far as a playable illithid civ goes, 9/10ths of capturing illithid culture seems to be role-playing, rather than special equipment/reactions (slave castes do all the work, illithids sit around all day or do intellectual labor like accounting and architecture and maybe engraving).  I should make the slave castes butcher-able and the illithid castes not.  I could give the illithids psychic training items that only the illithid castes could safely use.  That might be interesting.

The playable Illithid civ would probably need a different entity file than the trading-partner civ...
Mods I've done:

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am not sure if I remember it right, but I believe that Illithid reproduce by creating a community 'pool' in which they spawn tadpoles.  These tadpoles are placed into the ear canals of captured humanoids, at which point they enter the brain and grow until the creature is replaced by an adult Illithid.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Yep, that's right.

Also I will update Genesis for 0.31.05 today (after I finally sleep for a few hours :P) and I will include your mod along with better balor, ironworks and alchemy.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: All hail the mighty Illithid Empire! (now seeking illithid civ ideas)
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 01:38:49 am »

For trade goods, quality silk clothing seems natural, they always seem to be waring those long flowing robes, and you bet they like them really good.

Gems would be awesome as well, as I don't see them messing too much with metal wood or stone, but gems have that "Ohh shiny" quality.

Is there any way of making them sell slaves? I don't know how would that work, maybe making domestic versions of the main races, so they could be sell-able and butcher-able(for those without those pesky morals about not eating sentient beings)

Some ideas for making the gameplay of the civilization different, you could try to make some neat stuff with gems, maybe something like bracelets and amulets made in a special Psyonic workshop that would give them protection like armor would, and disabling armor making for them. Pretty esoteric if you ask me.
It would crate an issue of their slaves not be able to use actual metal armor, but maybe if you make it so civilization cannot make armor for the Illithids themselves( changing their frame for narrow or something, dont know if that still works) you can make it so only them can use the gem armor and their slaves can still use good old steel.

Hope my ideas are good

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 03:25:42 pm »

I am not sure if I remember it right, but I believe that Illithid reproduce by creating a community 'pool' in which they spawn tadpoles.  These tadpoles are placed into the ear canals of captured humanoids, at which point they enter the brain and grow until the creature is replaced by an adult Illithid.

Yeah.  Unfortunately, there is currently no way to implement that sort of parasitic reproductive mode in-game, although I included a nod in that direction by making the slave castes the reproductive castes, rather than the 'flayer castes.

On reflection, I think I should put MALE and FEMALE tags on the illithid tadpoles and tadpole swarms, so as to encourage you to keep them around.  Since they are aquatic, you will have to construct a pond for them.  This will lead to slave castes being born from the tadpole swarms, though; which maybe isn't desirable.

Quote from: ProZocK
For trade goods, quality silk clothing seems natural, they always seem to be waring those long flowing robes, and you bet they like them really good.
Taken care of.

Gems would be awesome as well, as I don't see them messing too much with metal wood or stone, but gems have that "Ohh shiny" quality.

In 40d at least there was a way to do this, I'll see if it still works.

Is there any way of making them sell slaves? I don't know how would that work, maybe making domestic versions of the main races, so they could be sell-able and butcher-able(for those without those pesky morals about not eating sentient beings)

They have slave castes for their own use, so that's good.  Not sure if they'll try to sell them or not.  It would be sort of undesirable if they did, since then you could end up with 'flayers being born inside your fortress.  Although that would be sort of a stealth invasion.  Might be FUN.

Some ideas for making the gameplay of the civilization different, you could try to make some neat stuff with gems, maybe something like bracelets and amulets made in a special Psyonic workshop that would give them protection like armor would, and disabling armor making for them. Pretty esoteric if you ask me.
It would crate an issue of their slaves not be able to use actual metal armor, but maybe if you make it so civilization cannot make armor for the Illithids themselves( changing their frame for narrow or something, dont know if that still works) you can make it so only them can use the gem armor and their slaves can still use good old steel.

That's a good idea.  The combat-slave castes have built in arms and armor, anyway.  I don't know if the narrow tags still work, of course.  They aren't listed on the wiki, so that's probably a bad sign...
Mods I've done:

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 04:59:54 pm »

Bump?  :D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 06:24:40 pm »

Narrow token does nothing right now I think, everything is decided by BODY_SIZE now.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 09:21:13 pm »

Status update:

I've been focusing on getting the computer Illithid entity working, at the moment.

I've removed the [EQUIPS] tag from the slave castes, so that they won't wear clothes or armor or anything.  I've given the illithids isolation suits (full body leather armor) and psionic guards (essentially low-coverage breastplates), along with a set of "metal - set psionic crystal" weapons which can be used both in melee and at range (renamed crossbowman to psionicist).  In general, mind flayers will have inferior armor and somewhat superior weapons.  I've added trapavoid to most of the castes.  I've added a "mind blast" gas-flow breath attack to most illithid castes (Don't worry, it's not OP ;)). 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Illthids creature has been duplicated to deal with surface civ ai problems:  FLIER has been removed from all castes that had it, tadpoles have been made amphibious, and god-brains removed.  The underground civ 'flayers keep all these things.  The god-brain entry has been moved to the end of the file for ease of removal for those so inclined. 

Surface Illithids should offer to trade with you now.  Their goods include gems, boxes of crystalized knowledge (rxn requires the Library building from Deon's mod), brains in jars, their weapons and armor, various spatial tears (through which various wild animals can be hunted, requires alter of nature from deon's mod), and mother stones (which breed stones when worked with using Animal Caretaking, at the Smelter). 

If anyone wants to help me test it, I put it up on DFFD

This includes my modifications to the Genesis mod training reactions.  Which are also Work-In-Progress
Mods I've done:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4