Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: All hail the mighty Illithid Empire! (Illithid fort Version 2 posted)  (Read 11340 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile

Where do i extract this mod to?Objects file?

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep.  Put the files in DwarfFortress\raw\objects, then gen a new world.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I generally try not to add TRAPAVOID on any creatures yet because military is not working as it should. Later I may consider it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm pretty ambivalent about the TRAPAVOID thing myself.  On the one hand I'm not a huge fan of the simple traps (especially the cage trap); on the other hand, I don't like that it automatically grants lock-picking and I do have trouble getting my military to do what I want... on the gripping hand, I haven't played enough actual Fortresses in the new version to really know what I think.

I can keep a list of things to leave out for the Genesis mod, if you like.  Right now it's no TRAPAVOID and no god-brains, right?  Did you say you were also having problems with the elder brains?
Mods I've done:

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have never tested anything in my life, specially in a complex game like dwarf fortress, but be sure, ill be testing the brains out of this.
Just dont expect me to do so good at it :P

Should I put it in a fresh vanilla or Genesis mod folder?
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Genesis is easiest, since I ended up using a couple of the buildings from that mod.
Mods I've done:

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

then ill get started
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I already found a problem with the illithid civs:  I didn't set any metals so they aren't able to actually make any of their neat trade goods.

I'll put a new test version up soon. probably tomorrow.

In the meantime, I suggest filling their tentacly faces full of crossbowbolts when they show up at you're Fortress, so you can fight some.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 06:33:37 pm by D_E »
Mods I've done:

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I already found a problem with the illithid civs:  I didn't set any metals so they aren't able to actually make any of their neat trade goods.

I'll put a new test version up soon. probably tomorrow.

In the meantime, I suggest filling their tentacly faces full of crossbowbolts when they show up at you're Fortress, so you can fight some.

Yeah, I was about to say their trade had to have some problems with it.
And there is an issue of civilization survival as well, I had to gen 3 worlds for them to actually survive, and even then it was just one little empire. Any idea why that is happening?

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, just a question
I dont know if every female creature in the game is supposed to have the milkable tag. I just took a look at the Illithid civilization raws and saw that every single slave caste female has it.
Does that means when we play as the Illitihids we will be able to milk them? That would be awesome.
And what happened to the warrior cast Dwarves? I was using them as adventurers but now apparently they arent there anymore? Are they out?

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dont know if every female creature in the game is supposed to have the milkable tag. I just took a look at the Illithid civilization raws and saw that every single slave caste female has it.  Does that means when we play as the Illitihids we will be able to milk them? That would be awesome.

That was the plan.  Unfortunately, for them to be milkable, they can't have the INTELLIGENT tag (because only animals can be milked right now).  This was in turn causing problems when playing as the illithids, because forts would occasionally start when the first 7 were ALL females or tadpoles.

And what happened to the warrior cast Dwarves? I was using them as adventurers but now apparently they arent there anymore? Are they out?

They're in.  I must have borked something up there as well.

And there is an issue of civilization survival as well, I had to gen 3 worlds for them to actually survive, and even then it was just one little empire. Any idea why that is happening?

It's a combination of sub-par combat performance (due to poor armors and few weapons) and low reproductive rate (due to the non-slave castes being neuter).  Big one's probably the low reproductive rate, unfortunately.

Next test version will include a pre-generated world, since it will* feature playable surface 'lids, and the procedure for getting it that way is kinda strange. 

*ok, should feature.  right now, it looks like it'll work.
Mods I've done:

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

About the milkable humans, just make it so the Illithids have access to Dwarf elf and human domestic animals. So you can actually buy breeding stock from the embark screen or merchants. Then you can have herds of mind blanked milkable and butcherable creatures.
A "Tasty Caste" if you will.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DFFD WIP listing updated with saved world.  World created using DF version .06.  You can play as an Illithid fort in this save (Dwarf Forts still work as in vanilla, with the exception of the rxns needed to be able to use illithid trade goods). 

There are a few abandoned Dark Towers around, near the Illithid homeland.  I advise embarking on top of one of these ruins, for the full Illithid experience!  To install, unzip and put it in your data/saves folder.  The save contains all necessary raws.  To start an Illithid fort, start the game in Fortress mode and make sure you have an illithid civ selected.

Important notes:
1)  Illithids can't embark with an axe.  You can make axes using a reaction at the smelter, which requires 1 metal bar,
or you can do without wood until you can buy or steel an axe from one of the other races.  Careful management of your starting wood supply (from deconstructing your wagon) is needed to get an axe quickly (well, ok, you only need 1 piece of wood, so not careful per se, but you have to be aware you need it).
2)  Many of the uniquely illithid reactions generate psychic pollution that will instantly stop the hearts of slave
castes (purple clouds).  Keep workshops worked by Illithids away from everyone else, and make sure you don't assign polluting reactions to slaves.
3)  When embarking, you'll be happier if you do a careful embark and check the castes of each of your starting 7
using 'v'.  Tadpoles are animals, they will perform labors that they start out with but can't be changed
(so maybe give them a point or two of miner and forget about them?).  Slave castes described as having
weapons HAVE NO HANDS.  So improve their natural attacks and defenses (Striker and Dodger, I believe) and put them
in your military.  I don't think outpost and elder brains have hands either, if you happen to get one of them.
4)  Many illithid reactions require 'bottles of sapience' which are extracted from the brains of sapient creatures.
So you may want to go to war with your neighbors.  Don't bring bottles on embark, bring brain-jars.  You get upwards
of 3 bottles of sapience per brain, for the same price.
5)  Illithids hopefully won't eat plats.  Slave castes should, for the most part.  Something to keep in mind, when
planning where to get food.

Notes:
Non-crossbow-bolt ammo seems to be broken (:().  The psychic crystals are potent melee weapons, even if you don't
have ammo for them.  If you buy bolts from traders, you can use those.
Spatial tears are dimensional rifts through which your illithids can gather food.
Because of the ammo bug, caskets of bilestone have no real purpose, since they are used to create ammo.  You can use said ammo as vendor trash, I guess.
If you fined an ore you want more of, gather I think 9 pieces near an alter of war and start trying to invoke a mineral mother.  This has a low chance of success but doesn't consume the stones, so you can keep trying.

I'm still looking for additional reaction ideas.  I will also be populating the swamps around the illithid towers with escaped illithid experiments.  These experiments will also be available to the Illithids as pets.
Mods I've done:

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: All hail the mighty Illithid Empire! (Illithid fort WIP posted)
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 08:31:28 am »

There's no bug with ammo but current version sometimes bugs out and soldiers don't equip ANY ammo at all.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DFFD WIP listing updated with saved world.  World created using DF version .06.  You can play as an Illithid fort in this save (Dwarf Forts still work as in vanilla, with the exception of the rxns needed to be able to use illithid trade goods). 

There are a few abandoned Dark Towers around, near the Illithid homeland.  I advise embarking on top of one of these ruins, for the full Illithid experience!  To install, unzip and put it in your data/saves folder.  The save contains all necessary raws.  To start an Illithid fort, start the game in Fortress mode and make sure you have an illithid civ selected.

Important notes:
1)  Illithids can't embark with an axe.  You can make axes using a reaction at the smelter, which requires 1 metal bar,
or you can do without wood until you can buy or steel an axe from one of the other races.  Careful management of your starting wood supply (from deconstructing your wagon) is needed to get an axe quickly (well, ok, you only need 1 piece of wood, so not careful per se, but you have to be aware you need it).
2)  Many of the uniquely illithid reactions generate psychic pollution that will instantly stop the hearts of slave
castes (purple clouds).  Keep workshops worked by Illithids away from everyone else, and make sure you don't assign polluting reactions to slaves.
3)  When embarking, you'll be happier if you do a careful embark and check the castes of each of your starting 7
using 'v'.  Tadpoles are animals, they will perform labors that they start out with but can't be changed
(so maybe give them a point or two of miner and forget about them?).  Slave castes described as having
weapons HAVE NO HANDS.  So improve their natural attacks and defenses (Striker and Dodger, I believe) and put them
in your military.  I don't think outpost and elder brains have hands either, if you happen to get one of them.
4)  Many illithid reactions require 'bottles of sapience' which are extracted from the brains of sapient creatures.
So you may want to go to war with your neighbors.  Don't bring bottles on embark, bring brain-jars.  You get upwards
of 3 bottles of sapience per brain, for the same price.
5)  Illithids hopefully won't eat plats.  Slave castes should, for the most part.  Something to keep in mind, when
planning where to get food.

Notes:
Non-crossbow-bolt ammo seems to be broken (:().  The psychic crystals are potent melee weapons, even if you don't
have ammo for them.  If you buy bolts from traders, you can use those.
Spatial tears are dimensional rifts through which your illithids can gather food.
Because of the ammo bug, caskets of bilestone have no real purpose, since they are used to create ammo.  You can use said ammo as vendor trash, I guess.
If you fined an ore you want more of, gather I think 9 pieces near an alter of war and start trying to invoke a mineral mother.  This has a low chance of success but doesn't consume the stones, so you can keep trying.

I'm still looking for additional reaction ideas.  I will also be populating the swamps around the illithid towers with escaped illithid experiments.  These experiments will also be available to the Illithids as pets.

Holy Cuthulhu that looks awesome!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4