Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How important, on a scale of 1 to 10, is drinking water for you?

1 - Not important, you don't even bother.
- 3 (2.1%)
2 - The last thing on your list.
- 18 (12.8%)
- 27 (19.1%)
4 - You try to get it setup by the end of autumn
- 24 (17%)
5 - You try to get it setup by the end of summer
- 16 (11.3%)
6 - You try to get it setup by the end of spring
- 9 (6.4%)
- 7 (5%)
- 4 (2.8%)
9 - Pretty important, but not the most important.
- 25 (17.7%)
10 - The FIRST thing you set up.
- 8 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Voting closed: June 05, 2010, 01:16:28 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Poll: How important is drinking water to you?  (Read 2796 times)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: How important is drinking water to you?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 04:09:30 pm »

It's important, but seldom will anyone die in year 1 for lack of water. There are always--even in really bad biomes--10-20 trees and plants that combine into enough barrels of alcohol, that I can take my time. Herbalism ftw!
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 04:22:44 pm »

I generally try to set up a well by one of the pools by my entrance after I've got them a dorm sorted, that will be inside the initial curtain wall. Then it's floodgates under a pool then diagonally channel once it's linked so I can control the flood, does end up with a floodgate that's only used once, but that gets my first near surface underground farm ready. Later I usually plumb things with many floor tiles and walls taking water directly under my hospital so I usually have a couple of wells and a couple of floor grates. Then a room off my legendary dining room that has 4-6 wells with 6-8 floor grates, eventually the plan is to have a shower from above going into the grates below, but priority usually shifts to my tendency to build huge walls that look like a step pyramid upside down :P
"Do not offend the chair leg of Truth. It is wise and terrible" - (Urist) Spider Jerusalem

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 04:22:51 pm »

It's important, but seldom will anyone die in year 1 for lack of water. There are always--even in really bad biomes--10-20 trees and plants that combine into enough barrels of alcohol, that I can take my time. Herbalism ftw!

Not if you embark on a terrifying glacier full of undead elk and yeti.  ;)

Oh and digging down to the cavern won't work either. You then get to have fun with skeletal cave crocodiles and zombie trolls.

Engineering project, while under attack, to get safe and usable water before everyone dies of thirst or hungry. Fun times!

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 04:32:43 pm »

Can't have a working hospital without a well as sick dwarves will go unwashed and unwatered.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 05:37:26 pm »

Generally there is some in the caverns so if someone gets injured, I'll set up a quick plumbing system or even use cavern water for a while.  Its a tossup whether I need water for drinking, or water for power first. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 05:59:20 pm »

Water for drinking isn't overly important, but I marked a 10 because I set up all of my water systems at once as the first thing.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 06:24:01 pm »

Dwarves don't get jumped by dozens of goblin bowmen indoors if you've designed your fort right.

'Nuff said.

Correct, If you've designed right, Dozens of goblin bowmen get jumped by your dwarves at Point blank indoors.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 07:02:25 pm »

I designate a drinking zone somewhere at some point when some dwarf gets hurt. Otherwise I barely ever use wells for anything. I usually get by with above-ground farming until I can get an underground farm set up either in the shape of a cavern-farm or some massive project which inundates an actual farm. I barely use any plumbing at all apart from the occasional extremely deep tree farm.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 07:24:51 pm »

I think it's really important. If your dwarfs don't have clean water, they wait until they're very thirsty to drink. Which means if a dwarf gets trapped in an unfortunate mining accident or mistakenly walled off somewhere and you don't notice, you've got less time to rescue them before they die of thirst. Not having adequate drinking facilities can cost you some important miners and masons.

Booze is more important, but clean water is still high on the priority list.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 08:34:50 pm »

Back in 40d I had a human fort and even though I occasionally got alcohol from caravans and made a little I did have wells all over the place for them. They aren't alcohol dependant after all. So, very important. Still need to finish making humans playable for the latest version.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Nova72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 09:08:21 pm »

What is this Well of which you speak.  I was under the impression that water was not very dwarfy.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 11:10:35 pm »

I tend to play non-alcohol dependent races, so wells are pretty paramount for me. Furthermore, once you have a well set up, you never have to worry about thirst or dwarves running into a siege to drink from the river again.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 12:01:52 am »

Water is quite useful. Even in 40d you needed an accessible source of water if you didn't want injured dwarves to die of thirst. Wells are very good for this, especially if the surface is a blasted warzone and you don't want your healthcare dwarves to run into a siege/hippo or carp swarm/zombie. Building a well isn't the first thing or even teh 10th thing on my list, but it will get done eventually.
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Retributi0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 05:47:50 am »

I just stick to the booze, but maybe I should consider drinking water for the injured at least...still though, booze would make a great painkiller and dwarfs don't get dehydrated from drinking it all the time anyway.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 08:09:05 am »

I don't use drinking water. Booze is good enough for my dwarves. I suppose eventually I'd build a well or two just for lulz.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.
Pages: 1 [2] 3