Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How important, on a scale of 1 to 10, is drinking water for you?

1 - Not important, you don't even bother.
- 3 (2.1%)
2 - The last thing on your list.
- 18 (12.8%)
- 27 (19.1%)
4 - You try to get it setup by the end of autumn
- 24 (17%)
5 - You try to get it setup by the end of summer
- 16 (11.3%)
6 - You try to get it setup by the end of spring
- 9 (6.4%)
- 7 (5%)
- 4 (2.8%)
9 - Pretty important, but not the most important.
- 25 (17.7%)
10 - The FIRST thing you set up.
- 8 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Voting closed: June 05, 2010, 01:16:28 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Poll: How important is drinking water to you?  (Read 2797 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Poll: How important is drinking water to you?
« on: June 03, 2010, 01:16:28 pm »

I'm curious, I know that you need it for irrigation, but I'm wondering what most people think about drinking water.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: How important is drinking water to you?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 01:19:02 pm »

I tend to avoid farming industries for about the first year, and I embark with animals to slaughter. If I even bring booze at all, it runs out pretty quickly, so drinking water is a top priority.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 01:22:31 pm »

I'm still experimenting with the DF2010 deal, but back in d40, I simply brought along enough booze and food to last the entire year, then I could just build a well over some rotten pond and not only would the dorf's thirst be quenched, but they'd be ecstatically happy that they got to look at a well with so many well designed parts to it.

Gus Smedstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 01:22:55 pm »

I've occasionally seen dwarves with bad thoughts about a lack of a well, so it's moved up a bit from "only when I get a hospital / jail system set up" to "maybe sometime in the first year."  I think wells also help with dwarves washing some of that blood that gets everywhere.  I have seen dwarves use soap and water to wash themselves, but it's so erratic it's hard to catch them doing it.

For a while I was creating underground cisterns very early, used initially for irrigation and secondarily as a fishing and water source.  While I continue to do this for fishing, I now typically get booze production up fast enough that I don't care about inside water sources until I build a well.

- Gus

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 01:27:39 pm »

I saw an elf I had in arena mode wash blood off herself. I thought that was simply insane at the time.

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 02:00:21 pm »

Generally, I dig down and build temporary stockpiles to get out of the sun. Then, dig for a farm. I either build a cistern and drain a pond into it, or dig down to caverns and build farms with that water. Once the farms are done, I've got the luxury of a cistern or other source of clean water, so I then build a well. This typically takes half a year or so.

tl;dr I don't even think about building the well, it's just a pleasant side effect of my farm's irrigation.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 02:14:02 pm »

It really depends on the terrain. In a lush forest setting with a brook or river I usually ignore it completely, the dorfs can suck the muck until I figure out how the food industry is gonna work and find them some beer, while in deserts, tundras, and salt-water areas I almost immediately set forth to solve the problem as booze usually runs short before farms spring up, needing irrigated and all that.
The injured/imprisoned get to drink what's brought in from the nearest water source if i never remember to make a well.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 02:23:01 pm »

Pretty important, as I never want my dwarves outside without my express knowledge. I always embark in evil biomes, so it's just NOT SAFE out there.

As such, as soon as I'm indoors, have the basic amenities running, I set up my well. It's generally done alongside the irrigation system for my farm - it just takes a little bit more digging, and a couple more mechanisms.

In my most recent fort, I found a cavern only 6Z levels down, so I built a well over the water there. It WILL pick up water that's 5Z up!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 02:36:04 pm »

Dwarves don't get jumped by dozens of goblin bowmen indoors if you've designed your fort right.

'Nuff said.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 02:44:14 pm »

I try to get something up in the first year, even if its just walling around a murky pool.  Dorfs are always running to the nearest water source even if theres loads of booze available, so obviously they need something thats safe.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 02:46:23 pm »

I tend to try to get it before the end of autumn or when I start getting my military ready, whichever comes first

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 02:52:05 pm »

1 make a food stockpile
2 make a secure place to get water, usually underground
3 make workshops
4 make a kickass dining room
5 upgrade secure water source into a well
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 03:00:39 pm »

1) Start digging.
2) Move stuff from the wagon into the tunnels.
3) Get working on the plumbing system.

My first project is always to get water indoors into my fort in a controller manner, providing both drinking water and water for irrigating for farming. This needs to be done quickly of course, before the stockpile of food and drink brought on the wagon are used up. Its always an interesting challenge to do it quickly yet still in an elaborate manner.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 03:38:42 pm »

I'm curious what the two levels between "Pretty Important" and "Set it up by the end of SPRING" are?

Does each week in spring get it's own level of importance?

I pretty much try to have a well set up by the end of the first winter, but I put end of autumn because I often am a little quicker, and it is certainly more important to me than stuff that is at the bottom of my list, which is about 4 years in for me usually, sometimes more.

Anyway, the range of options seems overly narrow the earlier you go, and overly broad the later you go.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 03:43:57 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 03:49:00 pm »

i putted 3, because i don't really care i just want it to be possible to make a set up of drinkable water (for injurys) that is why i always include some source of water on a map but dont get on it too fast ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime
Pages: [1] 2 3