Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 66

Author Topic: Rogue survivor: Roguelike Sandbox Zombie Game!  (Read 128358 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue survivor: Roguelike Sandbox Zombie Game!
« Reply #615 on: June 30, 2010, 07:57:08 pm »

I would not want to eat meat that's been sitting out for 3 days!
You're thinking too specifically. Jerky, sausages, and other plastic wrapped pre-cooked things that come from animals. "Meat" is a general term to avoid having to sprite multiple specific meat-looking objects, and code specific rules for each of those objects.

How about there being two varieties of food?

Lez see, fresh meat and perhaps jerky, fresh fruits and dried fruits, fresh vegetables and idk canned vegetables, dairy products, and canned milk, and how about a candy variety, why not? Cookies and chocolate bar? It would also be more realistic to have certain foods become more detrimental to health when they rot.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 30, 2010, 08:05:56 pm »

I think mass food variation should take a back seat for now. It should certainly be done, but the survivior AI is very close to what it needs to be. Once they can push, aren't stupid about trading, and don't steal your planks they should be perfect.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 30, 2010, 08:37:21 pm »

[More food] should certainly be done, but the survivior AI is very close to what it needs to be.
Yes, the food things shouldn't be top priority. Also, hell yeah the AI is certainly a great deal better at doing its survival thing. I think the chance that non-follower survivors get skill improvements is a big help to that; hopefully it will be an option soon so you can set it to 0% or to 100% (and the same for the follower skill gain, so if you really wanted to, AIs never gain levels)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:40:19 pm by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 30, 2010, 08:43:05 pm »

I've eaten meat that's sat out for three days.  Gives you gas but otherwise nothing wrong with it.  Perhaps I have the iron stomach skill.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 30, 2010, 08:55:18 pm »

Well, these days store bought meat is pumped with enough preservatives to mummify the entire planet. It isn't very accurate anymore to think meat spoils so quickly. Flys are only a concern if you are too squemish to eat maggots in order to survive. Otherwise, the meat can stay healthy enough.

Speaking of refregeration, I don't think the power would fail as soon as the outbreak began. Perhaps having the city slowly fall to darkness over the course of the first few days? I imagine that CHAR would have their own generators, being crazy like that.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 09:12:23 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 30, 2010, 09:08:25 pm »

The reason the power grid would go down isn't that all the power plants would be trashed immediately.  The grid itself is what would fail.  It's difficult keeping a complex power grid running when there are erratic swings in the power usage.  It's a complex electrical engineering problem that requires foresight to avoid blackouts.  The utilities don't expect everyone to turn on their lights at midnight when the zombies strike.  And getting the power grid back online is a whole other headache that requires the self starting plants and the plants which require an outside jump to act in coordination, hard to do during the apocalypse.  If you are in a region dependent on coal and nuclear power, it's not inconceivable that sabotage or bad luck could take out the power pretty quickly and the chaos would keep it down.  On the other hand, if there was a small local plant it might be realistic to isolate it from the grid and restore local power.  Or if you are in a region with a lot of green power the grid would probably intermittently come on and off again until all the solar cells overheat and stop working or the windmills connections to the grid shut down.  If you're in Las Vegas the Hoover Dam would probably stay on unless someone deliberately took it out.  Coal power is the vast majority of power in North America and the majority in most regions of Europe.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 09:10:48 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 30, 2010, 09:17:22 pm »

What's that? The sound of an idea, I think! Perhaps a power district on the edge of the map, methinks. Making it work again would be a suicide mission in complexity. Ruined entirely by the actions of a single Disciple or Blackops squad. But the rewards of reactivation would be vast.
No Gods, No Masters.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 30, 2010, 09:18:24 pm »

Haven't played in a while.
What new stuff is there?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 30, 2010, 09:27:02 pm »

There's a whole list of the changes on Rougedjack's blog.
No Gods, No Masters.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 30, 2010, 09:45:40 pm »

The reason the power grid would go down isn't that all the power plants would be trashed immediately.  The grid itself is what would fail.  It's difficult keeping a complex power grid running when there are erratic swings in the power usage.  It's a complex electrical engineering problem that requires foresight to avoid blackouts.  The utilities don't expect everyone to turn on their lights at midnight when the zombies strike.  And getting the power grid back online is a whole other headache that requires the self starting plants and the plants which require an outside jump to act in coordination, hard to do during the apocalypse.  If you are in a region dependent on coal and nuclear power, it's not inconceivable that sabotage or bad luck could take out the power pretty quickly and the chaos would keep it down.  On the other hand, if there was a small local plant it might be realistic to isolate it from the grid and restore local power.  Or if you are in a region with a lot of green power the grid would probably intermittently come on and off again until all the solar cells overheat and stop working or the windmills connections to the grid shut down.  If you're in Las Vegas the Hoover Dam would probably stay on unless someone deliberately took it out.  Coal power is the vast majority of power in North America and the majority in most regions of Europe.

That's... off topic, I think. If electricity were to be added, I'd say it would last at most a week with little maintenance. If generators and electricity in general were added, refrigerators would be more than just barricades. Course, I'm sure that's going to be added in the future seeing as how fridges are already in there.

ANYWAY! Some highlights from my new game, nothing spoily, well except the second picture.

I am Victoria Smith, these last names still boggle me. Started in a green center. I got too used to bunking down in a single area; these new food spoilage features have me on a nomadic survival style.

You know even in a post apocalyptic world, new settlements eventually pop-up.  I'd like to see some sorta semi-safe districts prop up after a week or two.

edit: text is at the bottom of the pictures.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

O.K., the new version is much harder thanks due in part to the new food spoilage feature. I don't really feel like it's worth it to keep a companion anymore. That or managing food is now a top priority that I don't understand right now. Nothing much is different besides that. NPCs still seem pretty stupid in my opinion, which is good for me because they tend to drop a lot of food items.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

roguedjack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rogue Survivor blog
« Reply #625 on: July 01, 2010, 05:54:53 am »

Shotguns did not change from 3.1 (they changed 3.0->3.1).
AI do discard items. Could happen they died at the wrong time and dumped stuff.
Decaying foods means you have to actively search for army supplies or food carried by refugees.

Bugs:
Melee weapon stamina penalty is not used properly, so that's a bug.
Installer does not remove the readme file. Just remove it manually.

Unless there are really annoying bugs I'll skip doing a 3.22 and go straight to 4.0.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 01, 2010, 06:55:15 am »

Sure, go straight to 4.0.
No Gods, No Masters.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 01, 2010, 08:41:12 am »

1)AI do discard items. Could happen they died at the wrong time and dumped stuff.
2)Decaying foods means you have to actively search for army supplies or food carried by refugees.

3)Bugs:
Melee weapon stamina penalty is not used properly, so that's a bug.

I've never noticed an AI dropping an item, maybe I just like being by myself too much.

Decaying food is quite the O.K. system IMO, but now it's too difficult to actually share food with a companion seeing as how precarious it is to share food. Not to mention I've seen NPCs drop like flys to food starvation; it's quite annoying because they turn into zombies as soon as they drop dead.

It's never really a good idea to melee exclusively. So I'd say you move on, unless more bugs show up. I haven't noticed anything in all honesty.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 01, 2010, 10:00:09 am »

I'm not sure how to uninstall the game, does normally uninstalling from program files worK? 
Thank you based dwarf.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 01, 2010, 10:07:59 am »

In 2.0 and previous versions, you should uninstall using the Control Panel. Any version above that can just be deleted, I think. I have so far just left them all inside the same file, and each new version takes over the shortcut on its own.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 66