Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 66

Author Topic: Rogue survivor: Roguelike Sandbox Zombie Game!  (Read 128434 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue survivor: Roguelike Sandbox Zombie Game!
« Reply #360 on: June 10, 2010, 05:50:10 pm »

This game is okay, but I agree with everyone who says zombie masters, disciples, and neophytes are stupid. I think Dead rising had the right idea. Tons and tons and tons of zombies, all of which are slow and stupid. You can't kill them all, but you can out run them.

This game will be better when:

You can go up to the second floor and jump out of a barricaded house.
You can set traps and wake up when your defenses are being broken.
Special infected are removed.
There is a better base building aspect.

I also agree that it would be cool if the Zombies when somewhat dormant during the day. That way you'd have a few hours to gather supplies before you had to run back, hide, and defend. I know someone already brought this up.

Personally, I like zombie masters. I mean, it be nice if they had a somewhat less chance of spawning, but what they do is quite cool. Basically they attract other zombies, which means you get groups of zombies roaming about.
Disciples are supposed to be the end round monsters, I suppose. If there isnt something that can kill you, the game will just go on forever. However, if the game did get progressively harder, then yah, disciple wouldnt be needed.
Also, if you guys want spammed zombies, simply increase the max. Of course, they arent stupid(sometimes)...and arent easy to kill when there are a few.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 10, 2010, 05:58:15 pm »

I too prefer zombie castes. I don't necessarily like smart zombies...but I like the variety and the variety of challenge. I don't necessarily prefer species-type zombies...but like a zombie with a fire axe, a zombie police man with a gun, a fat zombie that is more durable than normal...I like that kind of variation. The zombie master makes sense from a game play standpoint....but I've never been very clear on what disciples are, or why there is a progress of skill when you're dead.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 10, 2010, 06:07:36 pm »

Disciples as it stands now are almost pure luck - based on when they show up. If you have guns and a clear shot, great. Otherwise you're dead.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 10, 2010, 06:14:02 pm »

I would like settings of zombie diff. too, but I really enjoy different types of zombies. I just don't like skeletons, it's almost pure magic :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 10, 2010, 06:16:24 pm »

Oh god this game is so addicting, it has me almost as bad as the wait for DF.06 MOAR ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE DAMNIT

Also, a greater number of gameplay options is always a wonderful thing. Options options options!
Setting zombie ratios or %'s or even outright numbers would be interesting, including what time they first spawn and what interval afterwards and such. That way you could have the first 3 days be relatively care free with only skeletons, and then on day 4 there are disciples rampaging through raping everything, and then never appear again. Also apply this to items and other things, so that no fridges or only fridges spawn. Buildable traps and such would definitely be awsome. It'd also be wonderful if there were sleeping bags, matresses, food spoilage, etc.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 10, 2010, 07:02:52 pm »

I'm pretty sure Disciples don't spawn, and instead evolve from regular zombies after killing people, same with Neophytes.

Zombie Masters are alright, skeletons are alright, neophytes and disciples are dumb.
Shoes...

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 11, 2010, 02:46:09 pm »

arrrrgh i hate disciples they're zombie sigmund they look like fat red guys with with a face like the pringles man.

a discispe killed a soldier in my game and the soldier turned into a regular zombie then the soldier ate all other sodliers sleeping in the streets and evolved into a disciple himself then killed me

Redd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 11, 2010, 04:55:04 pm »

Not gonna read the thread as it spoils, but I'm loving the game.
It's lifted straight from my own fantasy game ideas bank which is great because I'm too lazy to make anything for myself. ;]
So thanks to the dev!

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 11, 2010, 05:13:42 pm »

char offices are easy to empty if you know when the guards sleep times are.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 11, 2010, 05:20:00 pm »

char offices are easy to empty if you know when the guards sleep times are.

Even easier if they arent at the entrance. Who leaves shotguns laying around at the entrance?  ;)
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 11, 2010, 06:45:12 pm »

I've realised why NPCs starve to death:
They load up their inventory with melee weapons or useless junk and never drop any of it, even when starving.

The only way to get them to NOT starve to death while still needing to eat food is to do the following:
0. Have at least 1 point in leadership and at least 1 thing the NPC will drop when they hold it. (like an empty shotgun or dead flashlight)
1. Empty your inventory in a secure location, carrying ONLY what an NPC will drop when they hold it.
2. 't'ake the NPC who's inventory you want "fixed" as a follower.
3. Disallow that NPC from picking up objects or sleeping.
4a. Trade that NPC for all your empty weapons and used flashlights and DROP what he trades you.
4b. If you run out of empty things to trade, 's'witch positions with your follower and pick up what you just traded to him (and what he just dropped!)
5. The NPC's inventory should be sitting in a pile, ready to accept food and new equipment.
6. Equip the NPC as you see fit; but don't kick them out of your party until the next morning, so they'll at least have another skill at their disposal. It might even be light eater, which would keep them alive much longer!
... Hopefully they won't fill their inventory up with useless crap again.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 11, 2010, 10:39:29 pm »

I like disciples and neophytes, they give you a reason to keep you on edge even when you're on the endgame with 3 shotguns, a huge hammer and lotsa food. If it was just zombies and zombie masters I'd be plowing through them too easily.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 12, 2010, 12:01:10 am »

My longest game ever, also, probably my last long game. Small maps and lots of action from now on!
The problem with this one is that bikers loved to appear on the map, and then spread their crap everywhere on the fringes and occasionally on the interior. It also meant that they'd end up getting starved to death since most NPCs arn't able to obtain food properly at the moment, and they'd be perpetually tired/exhausted. (thats how i found them when i got my biker kills) Making them zombie fodder. Which would then rape any refugees who appeared in the same place the bikers entered the map from, and create neophytes/disciples from the zombies getting leveled-up.

Practically every building near the map edge was a warzone filled with biker remnants and blood, because they never woke up from their first sleep as a wandering zombie ate them all. In fact, i once saw a zombie level-up to a disciple by this exact method. Strangely, there wern't many zombie masters, so i didn't really experience actual 'hordes' of zombies; probably because they leveled-up so fast on the tired/exhausted and hungry/starving biker gangs.

ROGUE SURVIVOR alpha 3
POST MORTEM
Frank Stevens was a man and a civilian.
He survived to see day 88 hour 11.
Frank Stevens's spirit guided him for 07 hours 55 minutes 46 seconds. (Over 2 days)

> (Obviously corrected) SCORING
He scored a total of 135440 points.
- Difficulty rating of: 124%
City Size - 2
Map Size - 150%
Max Civilians - 30%
Max Undeads - 20%
NPCs Can Starve To Death - Yes
Districts Simulation - Full

- 127380 base points for survival.
- 8060 base points for kills.

> DEATH
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

> KILLS

> EVENTS

> R.I.P
May his soul rest in peace.
For his body is now a meal for evil.
The End.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 12, 2010, 11:57:33 am »

Uh.... by the way. Your overall score is:

(Base Survival Points + Base Kill Points) x (Difficulty Rating / 100) = Overall Score

So you actually got:

(127380 + 8060) x (124 / 100) = 135440 x 1.24 = 167945.6
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 12, 2010, 12:45:48 pm »

And that is why I always hunt down and murder all the bikers myself, to avoid zombies leveling up.
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 66