Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 66

Author Topic: Rogue survivor: Roguelike Sandbox Zombie Game!  (Read 128425 times)

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue survivor: Roguelike Sandbox Zombie Game!
« Reply #330 on: June 09, 2010, 07:39:14 pm »

Do they?  I always thought they spawned with just crowbars and their jackets.

Anyway, the house I was talking about is in a save game, so I've been trying to claim the place, and subsequently failing and dying over and over and over and over.  It's probably stupid of me, because it's not particularly defensible - just a huge, mostly-smashed up house at the map's edge, which seems to have tons of zeds just swarming out of sight.  The thing is, it's got a lot of cool stuff inside, either dropped or left on tables and stuff.  A hunting rifle, at least two medkits and grocery bags, lot of planks to board stuff up with, beds, and furniture to shove up against stuff.

But there are just so many zombies.  :(  I've only just realized "Hey!  If I run away twice and THEN hit them, I don't risk getting hurt!" (derp) and I've been good enough at separating and moving them that I usually don't get overwhelmed, but I just lose the war through sheer attrition and numbers..

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #331 on: June 09, 2010, 07:44:20 pm »

I seem to be getting some rather unlucky starts. I keep on starting with either a zombie within 5 tiles away, a squad of undead in my room as I wake up, or what was a survivor waiting  behind door #2. Screw it, I'm not taking anything from my room and am jumping out the wind-- Burning car wall. FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-----------

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 09, 2010, 08:00:32 pm »

you would think those cars would stop burning eventually.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #333 on: June 09, 2010, 08:11:51 pm »

you would think those cars would stop burning eventually.
And after raining for so long too.

Anyway, best run for me as of now:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lucked out and found a store to hibernate in for a day and a half. Had companionship.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 09, 2010, 08:30:17 pm »

there is plenty of food to go around. I dont think you really need to worry about it. Just be sure to get light eater maxed.

Also I think there is a way to win. Get all skills up to level 3. I dont know how many days that is though.

35 days. I got all my skills up to 3 on my last run.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 09, 2010, 08:34:02 pm »

there is plenty of food to go around. I dont think you really need to worry about it. Just be sure to get light eater maxed.

Also I think there is a way to win. Get all skills up to level 3. I dont know how many days that is though.

35 days. I got all my skills up to 3 on my last run.
Well then I guess you win. What happens the next day?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 09, 2010, 08:48:03 pm »

"Is bored and decides to write a quick guide" - To back up my impending statements, I survived for several weeks, and I never hid once. Bashed a lot of zombies. Only died because I couldnt find any shotguns and a disciple got a few lucky hits.

*Before the waking*

After you pick your sex, you have several skills to pick from. Agile is the best, since defence allows you to avoid hits better, which is extremely important early game. Attack, your accuracy,  is also important, since you can make 1 hit KOs on those pesky skeletons most of the time, with a less of a chance of missing. I have rarely survived long with another skill.

*The Waking*

So...you awake to a nightmare. I have noticed a relationship. The worse the situation you wake too, typically the better the weapons you can find in your room. No skeletons....probably no weapons. Several skeletons or a zombie, probably a baseball bat. Zombie master or the like, probably a hunting rifle. Of course, if its a zombie master, turn on (R)un, grab the gun, and get the heck out of there. If its a zombie, you can just run past it and get any items you need, and then run out. Or you can kite him. Regular zombies appear to have .5 speed, and humans who have become zombies have .66 speed. So, zombies make an action 1/2 the time you do. So, attack, walk one tile to the left, zombie follows, attack again, ect. Humanized zombies, you will have to move twice after each attack. Though, watch your STA, less you get tired and your speed drops.

The Panic

So, now you're out of your house, and you see humans dropping left and right to zombies. If you have found yourself a melee weapon, you can take on regular skellies easy. Just make sure you attack first. To do this, if they are two tiles away, wait one turn, by pressing 5, and the skelly will move to one tile away from you, where you can preceed to knock its skull off. Everything else you can pretty much avoid. Avoid entering shops where you see lots of wood....meaning a zombie destroyed the shelves and doors. Try to find a gun shop. Gun shops are your friend. Lots of guns.....means, lots of dead zombies. They are boarded up typically, though. So make sure there are no zombies near by when you pry them open.

If you want to enter a CHAR shop, the ones with the pyramids on it, you will have to be crafty. Pry open the doors, making sure not to rush. If you read that a guy wants your attention, get the heck out of there. If there isnt, the guy is farther back in the shop. Enter slowly, making sure to (R)un as soon as you hear "hey" or something like that. If you find a shotgun, your golden. A shotgun, unless you miss, will one shot kill the CHAR dude. He has a shotgun too, so you simply have to fire first. He will give you one turn, when he shouts "Hey". This is a little risky though, shotguns can miss. But, you just started too, so you can start over and not much time really wasted. CHAR shops have tons of medpacks, shotguns, and armour (+2).

Your district is also important. Shopping districts are your friend. They have tons of shops and supply you pretty well. Green districts are not your friend. All they have that is unique is that the parks have spray paint, which isnt really needed if you got a good memory.

Never try to be tired. It slows you down, which will likely kill you quickly. Quickly find an empty shop, and sleep in the back. You should be fine if you werent being chased by zombies. If possibble, arrange the shelves so that you are completely locked in, or that there is only a diagonnal entrence. If you can get a bed in there(beds can't go through doors, destroy them with (K).Also note, they cant go through windows at all), you will recover health while you sleep. If you sleep on it, of course.

Food is not that hard to find. You should try to keep like 1-2 grocieries on hand at all times, and you are typically set. Food is typically laying around everywhere, no need to go to a food shop. Plus, typically all the civies run into the food shops, with zombies on their trails. Either its ransacked or there are zombified humans and other dangerous things.
You should also try to keep a backup weapon, and try to avoid taking damage. This isnt Pokemon. Rehealing is quite hard if you cant find health items or get a bed in a safe place.

The Calm

After about a week of surviving, it will start to calm down, if you have been killing zombies. Zombies will be many, but few between. Zombie masters have rounded up zombies and roam about. There may be a few skellies, but those are just pests. The army will also likely be taking an interest, along with biker gangs. The army is your friend, sort of. They help clear out for a bit, but after a day or two they somehow turn into zombies, and you got like 6 more zombies to deal with. Bikers are not your friend. They only have melee weapons though. They are just like you in speed and stats, except with a melee weapon, a (+1) jacket, and numbers. They are a good supply of shovels, and typically the zombie hoard finds them quick and adds them to the zombie menace.

If the army gets thing a little under control(meaning not too many zombies, I believe), they will start flying in supply drops. These will provide you with food and medpacks. The food comes in the form of army rations. These cools little packs can be stacked in 3s, allowing you to hold onto more food. They provide a little less nutrition than  grocieries, though.

Also, while all this is happening, try to get an army armour. It provides +3 protection, the best of its kind. Really useful against those now zombified soldiers.

It may also be a good idea now to get a good hideout. Store your items and so on. Put it in a shop or CHAR office, block it off with refridgerators, get a bed in there, and your good to go. Maybe make a maze out of shelves, I dont know. Just be warned, disciples like shelves. You may come back to see your entire shop leveled. However, zombies dont like items, so those are still there.

Also, another note, pills stack. Stamina/sleep pills come really in handy during a fight. Running out of stamina will typically be the reason you die. Pop a pill and your good to go for several more turns. If you cant reach your safehouse in time, a sleep pill will help you out for like 20 more turns.

Bandages also stack, but they are kind of hard to find.

Welp, thats what I got so far. If you guys like, I can expand on it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 08:56:56 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 09, 2010, 09:33:52 pm »

YO SECOND PART OF MY STORY.
Spoiler: Part 2:Seperation (click to show/hide)
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 09, 2010, 09:37:18 pm »

Well.... here is what I normally use (Note that I am NOT able to use a minimap, so my strategies are a bit different). Most of the time I pick Male-Hauler or Male-Agile. I then go find a gun store and grab as many guns as possible, then find a food store and hide in it. I come out for army supply drops, and after I get high enough to kill bikers and disciples. Here are some of the random events that can happen:

National Guard: These "guards" come in on occasion. They come in in groups of six and have a rifle, a pistol, and armor (+3). They seem to come in when your district population of live people is below what you set it (default 50).

Bikers: These bikers come in on occasion. They come in groups of 6-20+. They normally carry a melee weapon and hardened leather armor (+1). They come more often I have noticed when the population of live people is below what you set it (default 50).

Army Supply: The army will supply you with rations and medikits. I have noticed that they supply you (in ALL of my games) only when  most of the food in the map is gone. If you have all of the food in the district in your little fortress, try picking it all up, it may increase the chances of a army supply drop.

Zombie Invasion:

Zombie invasions occur at midnight when the zombies left in the district are lower than the amount you set them at (default 100). It will ALWAYS happen if it is lower than the amount you set.

Group of Refugees:

Refugees come near midday when the amount of living people left in the district are lower than the amount you set them at (default 50). It will ALWAYS happen if the amount is lower, unless a group of bikers or the army comes instead and ends up pushing the amount to 50+.

EDIT: Kholhaus, you need to make your stories faster...  ;D
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #339 on: June 09, 2010, 11:29:51 pm »

Thanks to your assistance, I have nearly doubled my best score.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I got greedy looking for the national guard. But hey, I got killed by something more advanced and lasted for longer than half a week.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 10, 2010, 01:17:21 am »

The first thing I would do is go to a shopping district, then see if you can find any boards and weapons, followed by food. Barricade yourself somewhere in a store when you have food and a ranged weapon. They are both mandatory, unless you want to waste three medkits fighting a disciple in close quarters. If you can, see if you can get the light eater and awake skills, they'll help the survival process.

The best time to get supplies is around midday/afternoon, since zombies tend to spawn at midnight. After a few days, you'll probably run into the national guard and bikers in your excursions, so having a weapon is a very good idea. Usually, you'll run into bats crowbars and army pistols. Oh, and crowbars aren't that useful, since the entire stack simultaneously breaks.

Unitll you get some army armor and all the damage avoidance skills, pray that a disciple doesn't break in and kill you at night. I'd still sleep with a medkit ready, and make sure I have some room to retreat to at that point.

In general, firearms tend to be the best bet since:
A: You know when they'll run out.
B: Keeping a distance is healthy
C: Army rifles and pistols are not only the best weapons, they are the most easily available, respawnable weapons. I've actually gotten the false notion that disciples are weak because of them, and almost died.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 10, 2010, 01:19:52 am »

Does anyone know exactly when Bikers start showing up?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 10, 2010, 01:22:37 am »

Huge hammers are great if you're careful about stamina.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 10, 2010, 03:48:39 am »

Currently held up in a general store on day 15. Was once here before. I have three full floor tiles of food and army armor.

I tried to move to another district, but was confronted with a 8 miniute timer. At the end, I was still in this district with the message "There is someone in your way".

RRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 10, 2010, 04:34:10 am »

"There is A GODDAMN ZOMBIE in your way"
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 66