Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 66

Author Topic: Rogue survivor: Roguelike Sandbox Zombie Game!  (Read 128298 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue survivor: Roguelike Sandbox Zombie Game!
« Reply #645 on: July 02, 2010, 10:51:33 pm »

I like how the updates are going, gameplay is pretty intense now and surviving takes more then just getting alot of food and finding a relatively safe place to barricade yourself in. Plus Its nice to see survivors actualy trying to survive this time around.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: July 02, 2010, 10:56:44 pm »

I like how the updates are going, gameplay is pretty intense now and surviving takes more then just getting alot of food and finding a relatively safe place to barricade yourself in. Plus Its nice to see survivors actualy trying to survive this time around.

Though in all honesty, they only seem to last about a day or so. It would be nice if refugee waves gained better items as the zombie invasion progressed, so they'd make better companions.

Welp, had another good round. Theres a couple spoilers in the mortom, so if you havent seen the HFS, just read the score or something.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After week 2 you pretty much need green/blue pills, they are life savers so many times.

I was hoping I could see if there was a month achievement, but luck didnt favour me.

Damn good score. I use to think pills were useless, but in this one they're life savers.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 02, 2010, 11:28:16 pm »

Here is the flow of the game so far.

First day: Moderate amount of zombies. Nothing particulary hard, there are no advanced zombies, though you have no equipment or skills so you do a lot of running.

Day 2-4: Civilians get a hold of the situation and there arent that many zombies. They are like free days basically. Though, a lack of food is quite evident and you can die of starvation if your not careful

Day 5-8: Zombie waves are getting larger, and you see fewer and fewer civies. The army might have come by now, and you have seen a few advanced zombies.

Day 9-14: Things are getting tough. Civies are getting rare, and you are seeing a lot more zombies. Food isnt too scarce, depending on how many air drops you get. Staying at a safehouse for more than one day asks for trouble. You see advanced zombies every once in a while, the bulk is still regular horde.

Day 14-21: This is where you're likely to die if you got this far. Zombie waves get bigger and bigger, with sleeping becoming a problem since zombies follow your scent and attack you(when your sleeping you have no protection or defence). Depending on your luck, food may also be scarce. Any weapon ammo besides pistols is almost nonexistant and its recommened you use pistols(I think police officers bring ammo with them when they spawn, but they die quickly, so they dont use the ammo). Lots of advanced zombies, and you have problably seen a few HFS. The special items in the CHAR offices may be of good use right now. Zombies are also almost endless. They come in a steady stream, it appears they can hear bullets or something. So holding onto your favorate safehouse is likely out of the picture. Pills are extremely important for those certain moments, if your are trying to outrun an HFS or cant find a place to sleep(I think half of my sleep poitns were just blue pills).You count how long you live by the hour, not the day.

Day 22 -?: I havent ventured into this area much. Going into differant districts is actually rather dangerous, since you dont know where food/health drops are and the fact that you have been keeping the zombie population at a moderate level isnt applied. HFS zombie in every group, your probably running a lot. "The Other guys" also pop in a lot, if that is a godsend or a horror depends on your situation. Food may also become sparce(airdrops seem to be far and few inbetween), so you may have to start eating rotten food. Light eater/awake helps a lot. Basically now your just trying to survive between zombie mobs, every sleep is likely to be interupted, so get those medkits out, and have fun

I probably forgot things, but thats kind of how the flow feels for me. The days arent exact, I just pulled random numbers from my head.

Also, a suggestion if the developer still reads this...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Edit" Oh, I forgot. On the last day I lived, every single melee weapon I found seemed to break on the first hit. I wonder if its another time thing. My weapon seemed to jam when I fought HFS too. Made me unhappy. I still think the game doesnt like me. ><
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 11:34:19 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: July 03, 2010, 10:15:18 am »

*snip

On the more useful items, they're completely useless to me. Considering the whole intel graphics card lodged into my computer.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: July 03, 2010, 02:18:46 pm »

Oh, found a "half glitch". I was standing on a stack of 10 blue pills(because the buzzards where about to take the items I dropped), and I decided to wait till he leaves and then proceed what I was doing. However, he just stood there next to me. I held down the wait button and he just stood there, getting hungry and tired. Then a friend came, so two people were staring at me. Then another. All ran when the zombie master came. :P

So if anyone wants to report that to the developer for me it would be nice(unless he still checks this).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 02:20:23 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: July 03, 2010, 02:26:04 pm »

Oh, found a "half glitch". I was standing on a stack of 10 blue pills(because the buzzards where about to take the items I dropped), and I decided to wait till he leaves and then proceed what I was doing. However, he just stood there next to me. I held down the wait button and he just stood there, getting hungry and tired. Then a friend came, so two people were staring at me. Then another. All ran when the zombie master came. :P

So if anyone wants to report that to the developer for me it would be nice(unless he still checks this).

Staring contest?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 03, 2010, 02:27:52 pm »

Staring contest?

It was a long one.. Probably like 5 hours. Since I was sleepy the zombie master killed me. ><

"Edit" Maybe there should be a clothes wearing item slots? Zombies could drop clothes, so you can pimp yourself up. You would still have your basic shirt/pants/shoes, but zombies could drop add ons. Zombie masters drop sunglasses/hats. Skeletons would drop like spikes, so like you could put spikes on the arms of your leather jacket. Regular zombies can drop blood and various other things for the gross minded. Char guards could drop like a belt PDA or something. Ect Ect.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 02:31:01 pm by Orb »

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 03, 2010, 03:21:04 pm »

Well looks like we're getting sewers next. Should be interesting to explore.

Since roguedjack seems to read this thread I'd like to leave a few questions and suggestions here:

As for the sewers, are you planning on adding any kind of maintenance or water treatment rooms or is it going to be mostly sewer tunnels down there? I'm assuming you might also find an occassional zombie that has stumbled in, and not simply undead rodents. In any case the sewers should provide an interesting retreat or way to travel between districts when things get too hot above ground.

Since you're adding sewers, I would like to suggest subway tunnels as well, to provide a less sludgy alternative for sewer transportation. They would be similarly dark, and there would be perhaps about one terminal entrance for each district or two. Since electricity is off, you could just walk along the tracks and hope not to run into a group of zombies blocking the tunnel. There might also be things worth scavenging in the terminals.

Anyway I'm enjoying the game tremendously so far, and I'll be sure to keep up with the updates.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 03, 2010, 03:27:09 pm »

He's also set up a modification page on his blog. Someone should tell Deon to go submit his.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 03, 2010, 04:04:30 pm »

Here's an idea:
Remove random chance for vomiting from rotten food and replace it with a bright green and a dark green nausia/vomit bar (respectively) like how the "hungry" state change has a white bar. If the nausia bar exceeds the vomit bar, you vomit. How nausious you become depends on the difference between the current date, and the date on the expired food; eating food that's been expired for long enough will always make you vomit, while eating food that's just a little old will let you manage your nausia. The nausia bar decreases when you sleep (greatly when sleeping in a bed) and the vomit bar can be increased by a skill "Iron Stomach" or something. Just to be fair for people who are hungry, eating rotten food when hungry doesn't increase the nausia bar as much as it normally would (1/3rd normal)

Also, an excuse to put in a pink bottle with a pink liquid (that's identical to pills, but resprited) that reduces your nausia level. 8)

[Subways]
A seperate level entirely from sewers hopefully, no engineer in their right mind would connect or even put sewers and subway on the same horizontal level.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 04:09:44 pm by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

roguedjack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rogue Survivor blog
« Reply #655 on: July 03, 2010, 04:42:02 pm »

The staring contest is an AI glitch. It wants one of the items you are standing on and patiently waits. And waits. And then waits some more. I knew the problem but was lazy since it didn't seem to be noticed by players ;D  :o. I'll fix that.

I'll add subways of course, that's what I meant by "undergrounds" in the "next version" section of the game faq.

There's still a lot of stuff I want to add to the maps (police/fire station, factories, airport, mayor office, CHAR places related to the plot...) but they probably wont get in the next version yet, depends how fast I progress on other tasks.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 03, 2010, 04:48:46 pm »

subways
It'd be nice ifforplaces like this there's a way to fix up the trains and generators, allowing fast/safe travel,and lighting thats better then night but worse then day, so you could travel down there at night time going back to your base?
Nom nom nom

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 03, 2010, 05:32:28 pm »

The staring contest is an AI glitch. It wants one of the items you are standing on and patiently waits. And waits. And then waits some more. I knew the problem but was lazy since it didn't seem to be noticed by players ;D  :o. I'll fix that.

I'll add subways of course, that's what I meant by "undergrounds" in the "next version" section of the game faq.

There's still a lot of stuff I want to add to the maps (police/fire station, factories, airport, mayor office, CHAR places related to the plot...) but they probably wont get in the next version yet, depends how fast I progress on other tasks.

Take your time. No need to rush perfection; till than we'll just feed our PCs to zombie hoards. Also, ever play Dungeon Crawl? If you haven't, than you don't know where I'm going with this. Either way, DC has ghosts of previous PCs show up on occasion; I was hoping for zombies of course but you go ahead and take your time on that if you want.

I'm for the nausea bar as well. After seeing hoards of zombies eat everyone you know a little moldy bread shouldn't bother you too much.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 03, 2010, 05:33:30 pm »

I think I found an AI issue. Whenever a survivor attempts to barricade their sleeping area, they always seem to only barricade two of the (most of the time) four entrances into the room. Anyone else getting this?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 03, 2010, 05:40:58 pm »

I wish this was for mac.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 66