Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 66

Author Topic: Rogue survivor: Roguelike Sandbox Zombie Game!  (Read 128408 times)

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue survivor: Roguelike Sandbox Zombie Game!
« Reply #510 on: June 20, 2010, 03:21:18 am »

What's the food consumption per hour during sleep?  It seems to be about the same as being awake, which really isn't quite accurate.  Course, considering the theme of the game, that's probably not a top priority.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 20, 2010, 03:22:44 am »

What's the food consumption per hour during sleep?  It seems to be about the same as being awake, which really isn't quite accurate.  Course, considering the theme of the game, that's probably not a top priority.

If we were to use true metabolic rates, food would be signifigantly less of a critical issue.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 20, 2010, 03:36:11 am »

Only when remaining stationary like camping in a safe house.  Running about fighting zombies and jumping over cars is a bit demanding on the energy front. 

Plus I don't think you could much afford to have muscle atrophy in a zombie apocalypse, so going so shortly without food isn't that far outside the realm of possibilities.

On a different note: I suspect there's another bug.  Every army corpse I find has an empty army rifle, and a full army pistol (with reserve bullets).  My suspicion is that the game is emptying the rifle, and never switching over to the pistol (and instead, meleeing).  Either that or 30 (10 in gun + 20 reserve) shots is the average lifespan of a National Guard soldier.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 03:44:05 am by Shiv »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 20, 2010, 03:42:37 am »

I've know seen them dumping their rifles and switching over to pistols in 2.1. Must have been an error with the update.

EDIT: Looks like Rougedjack will be focusing on bugfixes for 3.2, according to the blog.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 03:44:16 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

tekknej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 20, 2010, 04:05:51 am »

edit: sorry, known bug )

roguedjack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rogue Survivor blog
« Reply #515 on: June 20, 2010, 07:34:24 am »

Here's a bug i've noticed:
The timer for your sleep will jump on a time event change. The skill 'Awake' may have something to do with it as well, or at least i noticed it more easilly when i have the awake skill at 3.

I got myself down to 0 hours of awake-time left. I hit the sleep key and slept in a bed, and the timer increased normally. I got to 9 hours on the sleep timer or around there and the new day came; the sleep timer then set itself to 24hrs. It then increases as normal again, and i hit 56 hours of awake time...
A few hours later and i go from some 50 hours down to 23 hours, because "sunset" came along.
WAD. Sleep decrease faster during night hence the jump in the timer during day/night switches (ref. manual).

Edit - Awww damnit, a 3.1 crash.
<snip>
Thanks, will fix that.

---
I'll check the army not switching weapons too.

---
Stuff I won't implement
- metabolic rates  :'(
- many stories building (jump from window etc..) :'( but I'll do sewers,underground...

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 20, 2010, 07:37:12 am »

You could do something simple like regenerating stamina costing food maybe?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 20, 2010, 11:32:22 am »

Were you trying to avoid an experience based leveling system?  I like the current daytime begin leveling system, but I'm on Day 40 and have every skill maxed out.  There's no progression at this point.  I was thinking a dual tiered leveling system might be interesting. 

Have basic survival traits linked in to how long you survive where as attacking skills (firearms, bows, strong, agile, etc) would be related to killing things (not necessarily what you kill them with, just that they die). 

Either that or, for all skills, have it limited to 3 skill levels originating from one source (survival) and 3 (or however many) more skill levels originating from another source (killing based experience system), for a total of 6 ranks. 

Currently there's absolutely no reason to kill zombies, other than if they just happen to break into your safe house (something I've only had happen once), but even then you could Run and dodge around them out the exit.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 11:38:50 am by Shiv »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 20, 2010, 11:48:11 am »

I think to circumvent this problem while not making things based on level or leading new character into impossible odds, the traits should not have a limitations.

But in the same time undead evolutions/mutations should not stop (ever gaining new forms, or just their stats increasing each days without a limitation in their own traits like the player).

This way it would leave the new character facing normal odds like in the current game, while having the hardended several-weeks-survivors always having a real challenge against the horde.

And maybe a reason to begin to hunt the undead at some point instead of spending most of his time inside barricaded strongholds eating grocerie and sleeping for weeks doing nothing else : to prevent them to evolve too much.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 20, 2010, 12:21:22 pm »

Ok last bit for today.  I think I've found a real bug that's actually reportable.  I've no idea what this globedy glook that I'm about to paste means, but hopefully you can make heads or tails of it. 

Basically there's this sector I'm trying to enter (a Business sector.  Trying to hunt down CHARs) and it wouldn't let me enter from one side (gave this same error) and so I went "Ok, fuck you, I'll go around" so I did just that, and it STILL won't let me enter it, giving the same error.  So here's the accursed error:

Spoiler: Error (click to show/hide)

By the by the first sector I tried to enter from was a General (or maybe Shopping) sector and the second sector I tried to enter from was another Business sector (which was all houses, not one CHAR office). 

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 20, 2010, 12:23:25 pm »

or just their stats increasing each days without a limitation in their own traits like the player

Oh hell noes, that's what I hate in Bethesda games. When you get better and better, and rats and flies get better and better so you're the same in the end :).

There can be such option, I don't mind, I would even play it, but I don't want it to be normal :P.

P.S. I mean I don't mind new probable monsters, but I don't want to have zombie stats to grow just because you grow.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 20, 2010, 01:45:54 pm »

Great game, Love it thusfar and keeps getting better with the updates :D, Also Thanks Deon for making an art overhaul, it made the game much more enjoyable for me.

I just ran into a problem though... I have a follower who got kinda inured so I told him to go guard the barricaded hideout (8 beds, boarded up stuff and a nice closet to act as a door) But I cant find anyway to get the bastard to STOP guarding and follow me again, I tried leaving him behind with T --> talk to the guy, but eventhough he isn't my follower any more he insists on following my guard order.

Edit: ohyeah, the latest update made me totally addicted to firearms >.< goodstuff :)
Edit2: so... me and my follower were running low on food, I just managed to get my hands on military supplies being dropped and was rushing back to my buddy in the encampment who was starving... sleepy and hurt I returned, just intime to hand him a bag of groceries I found along the way... before he could eat them "Lewis Black dies from starvation" noooooooo~!! I had him since the first day aswell =(
Edit3: I was doing alright again after the loss of my minion... a few days (3) had gone by and I was now comfortable in my hideout oncemore, I found two other survivors who joined me, Our hideout was wellstocked with army rations and all three of us were armed with pistols and plenty of bullets to go around.

After a routine survay of the array we hauled back another load of army grade rations, but when we came to the hideout... something was wrong, the closet serving as a makeshift door was gone, and when we stepped inside all the beds (8 beds) were smashed to pieces... we cautiously peeked around the corner into the next room, and there it was A diciple! my first thought was RUNAWAY, but then I realised the two survivors that were with me wouldnt make it... nor did I want to surrender our supplies... We made a last stand emptying our pistols on the bastard... slowly I saw my HP drop, luckily for me... three pistols pounding into a diciple made it drop faster than my HP, We live... but our hideout is trashed.... where to get new beds...

Edit 4: I think I found some more 'bugged' behaviour (pardon me if this has been mentioned before) but...

When telling a follower not to pickup stuff, he/she will stick to this order even after releasing the follower from his/her service (this is like when telling a follower to guard and having him/her doing that even after letting the follower go?)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:54:25 pm by Talvara »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 20, 2010, 07:19:50 pm »

I've finished the sci-fi version of most objects so here it is:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2556

Note that I still have to change creature tiles to finish this set, but the major part is here and you will get everything else in RC2.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 20, 2010, 08:25:41 pm »

Wait, this on the DF file depo? Meh, anyway critical error, i left the gave running too long and all that was left of it was a big X on the screen.
Edit: Tried the tileset, its kickass. The planks should probably be changed to some kind of metal pieces and the ammo icons don fit in with the weapons.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 08:36:50 pm by Megaman »
Hello Hunam

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 20, 2010, 09:39:08 pm »

Yeah, I will change it too, I just didn't have time to put finishing touches on the tileset :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 66