Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hello everyone! New to DF  (Read 2263 times)

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hello everyone! New to DF
« on: June 03, 2010, 02:45:49 am »

Hello everyone brand new to DF and have to say its AMAZING, most fun i have had playing a game in a while. I heard the name Toady One and i am guessing he is the designer? Well all i can say is AMAZING JOB my friend truly an awesome game. Definitely planning on donating $50-$100 in the near future so the game can continue progressing. Now you have to pardon my ignorance but i am brand new to DF only been playing it for a few days and i am confused about the different versions. Could someone take the time to explain it to me please. For instance what is 40d? And what is DF2010? Are there any other versions? Whats different? I'm currently playing version 31.03 with Phoebus 1.7.3 graphics pack, is there a better version?

Thanks everyone!
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

sadis

• Bay Watcher
  • This is Personal Text, please don't use it.
    • View Profile
Re: Hello everyone! New to DF
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 03:38:24 am »

DF2010 was used to refer to 31.XX before version number was known, eq. before it was out. 40D is the culmination of previous bigger update + bugfixes. 40DXX is the same, but with improved graphics code by Baughn.

Better version is pretty relative. Some like to still play 40D(XX), because it's (currently) less bug-ridden. Some play 31.03 for new features and working graphics mode. Some play 31.04, which uses Baughns improvements to graphics code and has some bugfixes compared to 31.03, but does not support graphics mode and has some other anomalies.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 03:57:33 am »

I'd suggest starting on 40d first... by the time you learned all the advanced topics, 2010 should be much more playable.

Magma Wiki contains a ton of information and good advice, and should be your no.1 source of enlightenment. ;)

Do take a look in the Metagame editing and advice | Utilities section... those tools are amazing.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 04:34:31 am »

Hi!

I have to disagree about the starting recommendation. Unless the game bugs out on your computer regularly, you are better off starting with 31.xx. It introduces improvements to the announcement system as well as the combat reports for fortress mode, which should help you get a better feeling of what is really going on.

Note that I suggest for your early games to go into the "d_init.txt" (or "init.txt" in versions before 31.04) and set INVADERS to NO and start with some surface farming. This way, you have a safe and easy basis to explore the game mechanics from which you can then move on to the more complex aspects.

Deathworks

EDIT: I forgot to say: Welcome aboard! Of course, now it is too late to safe yourself. For once you have tasted this awesome game, it will never let you go. And believe me, the more you play it, the more awesome you will discover.

So, I hope you will have a lot of fun, and if you have problems the wiki doesn't help with, here is a forum full of people just waiting to help you.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 04:39:17 am by Deathworks »

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 05:12:22 am »

Yea I agree, start with 31.04, its got most of the real bad 31 series bugs sorted out by now, plus 31.05 should be out in a few days fixing still more.  If you do have trouble, welcome to dwarf fortress.  If you have excessive trouble that can't be solved by reading the magmawiki http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page, 40d is somewhat simpler in terms of farming and military and is all around a good solid version.  Really though, all of a sudden the military interface will make complete sense and you can do anything with it, and to farm just poke a hole in a murkey pool and toss farms over the mess it makes.   

And one piece of advice:  Axedwarfs
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 05:15:17 am by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 11:59:07 am »

A fellow newbie! Hai thar! If you want some really good help then read the Wiki! OR you can watch some AMAZINGLY helpful video tutorials here for old, but not completely outdated information or here for some of the changes in the 2010 version (which is the version that I use.) The first video is the first in a series of videos about 40D, but most of the information is still useful. The second video is the first in a much smaller series about the changes from 40D to 2010.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 01:45:12 pm »

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress! By accessing this forum, you have voided the warranty on what's left of your morals! Have a nice day!

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 02:08:54 pm »

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress! By accessing this forum, you have voided the warranty on what's left of your morals! Have a nice day!

HA i never had them to begin with  8)

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 02:14:09 pm »

Thanks all for your help and kind words, i have been reading the wiki and have a surprising amount of resources for the game already, i'm just kind of a visual learner. The videos helped me out TREMENDOUSLY, but still need to get the hang of some things like farming/channeling/Building defenses lol. I rigged up a pretty sweet irrigation system using an underground stream, I was quite proud of myself if i do say so lol :D ...but then some of my dwarves went berserk and..well...the rest is history lol

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 02:28:46 pm »

Welcome! Sorry about the piles of blood, dead babies, and vomit... our cleaners won't stop partying in the statue garden.
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 03:45:17 pm »

Thanks all for your help and kind words, i have been reading the wiki and have a surprising amount of resources for the game already, i'm just kind of a visual learner. The videos helped me out TREMENDOUSLY, but still need to get the hang of some things like farming/channeling/Building defenses lol. I rigged up a pretty sweet irrigation system using an underground stream, I was quite proud of myself if i do say so lol :D ...but then some of my dwarves went berserk and..well...the rest is history lol

If you have X-fire I can stream starting a fort from scratch, and explain what I am doing as well. It might help you understand some things you might not fully grasp yet.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 04:00:01 pm »

Hello everyone brand new to DF and have to say its AMAZING, most fun i have had playing a game in a while. I heard the name Toady One and i am guessing he is the designer?
Hes the guy that designs/programs/bugfixes/everythingelse. His brother helps with stories and other stuff.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Retributi0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 06:33:48 am »

I'm new to the game too, just started playing a few days ago and I agree. It's freakin' amazing. I just downloaded the version off the download section of the website, 31.03 it says. Seems to work fine for me, and I'm runnin' with the mayday pack. The graphics packs really do help when you're just getting into the game.

The only real trouble I've had so far is the military screen is extremely confusing, and I've had a group of monkeys running into my fortress and stealing my stuff. Trying to learn how to use mechanisms to fix this and to prepare for the inevitable invasion..Not gonna that off though. Losing is fun, right?  ???

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 09:51:40 am »

I'd suggest starting on 40d first... by the time you learned all the advanced topics, 2010 should be much more playable.

Magma Wiki contains a ton of information and good advice, and should be your no.1 source of enlightenment. ;)

Do take a look in the Metagame editing and advice | Utilities section... those tools are amazing.
That's like learning C before C++. Not only is it unnecessary, it can also be bad for you, as you have to unlearn "bad habits" like using space to exit and the old military screen. And thinking bauxite is the only fireproof material.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 09:57:49 am »

Er, you can change your key settings in the game. Just go to where it says "Exit menu" and replace that "esc" with a "space bar".

Bam. Now you never gotta stretch your ring finger over to hit that pesky esc key.
Pages: [1] 2