Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: My Harmless Piranhas  (Read 2321 times)

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Harmless Piranhas
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 05:00:28 pm »

They are only size 1, so their attack power will be utterly pathetic. Not only must you mod them to appear in massive clusters, but increase the damage their attack deals (I'm just guessing, but try 1000 instead of 100 for their bite and see how they do in Arena mode)
one fox vs. 18 piranhas and they aren't even scratching it
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 10:49:37 pm »

They are only size 1, so their attack power will be utterly pathetic. Not only must you mod them to appear in massive clusters, but increase the damage their attack deals (I'm just guessing, but try 1000 instead of 100 for their bite and see how they do in Arena mode)

How about fixing their size for starters ;).

For reference, turtle vermin are size 200. Spider vermin are size 50. So... at size 1 they are 2% the size of a spider.

Cave fish vermin are size 1000. Kittens (newly born) are size 500.

According to the interwebs... piranhas can grow to anywhere from 8" to 16" (20-40cm) depending on the type.

Boosting their size up to 500 might make them more effective.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 03:56:39 am »

Against a dwarf of size 60000 and a cow of size 200000 I doubt it will help a lot :).

Size 1 is definitely a "wtf" moment, I missed it :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 04:25:56 am »

So, a cubic millimeter piranha. That's definitely a WTF, but it could also be an Ouch. Consider this scenario:

===

Urist McDwarf wasn't feeling very good. Two hours ago, he had attempted to bathe in the river, clearly offending their god, and now things were rapidly getting worse.

Staggering, he coughed, then coughed again, covering his mouth with a hand as was the polite thing to do. Afterwards, though, his hand was covered in blood. What was this..?

The swarm was feeling good. Though they didn't measure time as such, a short time ago they had come upon a motherlode of delicious flesh.

Cutting off another piece of delicious muscle and blood vessel, the millimeter-sized piranhas contently kept eating away at the dwarf's internals, swimming in his arteries.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 04:45:09 am »

Making Piranhas more dangerous?

Add [DRAGONFIREBREATH] and [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] to their raws, it's just begging to be added.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 09:46:04 am »

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:150]
   [BODY_SIZE:1:0:600]
   [BODY_SIZE:3:0:1000]

although it was size one by 40d standards; already the right size
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 12:27:35 pm »

Cubic milimter piranhas.. epic win.

Actually if they lived in blood it could lead to all kinds of weird immunological reactions and embolia. Dwarves could die of brain stroke...

Back to the point, the sizing convention for dwarf fortress was changed.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 12:41:38 pm »

size is set to gram mass(or so the wiki says), so the piranhas are at a kilo, which is rather large

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 03:03:53 pm »

To get the real swarm feel, you might make them count as microvermin with a bite attack that injects a bleeding/pain syndrome.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 05:25:27 pm »

Wasnt the size unit cubic centimeter? It makes sense for human size, but I guess an avarage of 70 kilo does too...
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 05:46:24 pm »

run the numbers, that's a very small person, and the game uses mass not size

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 09:21:00 pm »

As I said, the numbers make sense. 180cm length, 40cm width, 10cm depth gets you 72000 square cm, and thats about an avarage male human.

Even then a 1000 cubic cm priranha is kinda big. You might want to go with the vermin idea.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 09:27:25 pm »

run the numbers, that's a very small person, and the game uses mass not size
It uses some weird size. If it used actual mass it would take into consideration the materials' density which I am pretty sure it doesn't.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 09:52:37 pm »

I hereby propose that the size units in DF be named "Cerol"
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 10:20:00 pm »

the thing really telling me it's mass not volume is the buzzard, it is 1400 Cerols, but a real buzzard would be at least 1700
Pages: 1 [2] 3