Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quck Question: Do traders bring new reaction items?  (Read 591 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Quck Question: Do traders bring new reaction items?
« on: June 02, 2010, 07:20:00 pm »

As per the title: Do traders bring items created in custom reactions?

I know they'll bring new metals and items made out of them, but what about other stuff? I'm working on a massive amount of Alchemy for Civilization Forge and it's going to effect the balance of everything quite a lot if you can't request the alchemical components from traders.

I'm working on a quick test of this, but I figured while I'm still at work I might as well ask to see if anyone knows the answer already.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Quck Question: Do traders bring new reaction items?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:33:39 pm »

Im not sure which items you are refering to, but any item needs to be specified in the entity file for them to show up on their traders. Im pretty sure reactions dont influence this. Then again I havnt tried this specific case. You could use the embark menu for a test.

Materials do tend to sneak in by the way. Avoid normaly importable materials like sand, stone, leather and even blood and extracts. I once blew up a trade caravan with that.

Also, note that making an inorganic material raw file that is alphabetically above the default metal file will cause whatever material that is at the top of that list to show up instead of iron when you get the iron artifact bug.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 08:42:04 pm »

In this case I'm making 'X filled green glass vials'. With the new substance being the material for the vial to give me a workaround for the inability of workshops to look in containers for reagents.

Didn't know about that alphabetical aspect of the iron bug, though. That's good to know.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 10:15:25 pm »

Reactions influence what materials they can bring, in any case. Don't think it applies to specific items, but I haven't tested much.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 10:22:57 pm »

Well, preliminary testing points to no. I can make quicksilver filled green glass flasks just fine, but they don't show up as something that I can trade for.

I'll either have to find some way to get the trading to work or balance my alchemical results in such a way that it's worth the time and effort to import the materials you don't have on-site.
Come play Mafia with us!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 01:59:43 am »

It's not exactly what you are looking for but you can get custom extracts from traders. I had different preserves/jams (in glass vials) in the last version and they worked fine.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 05:23:13 am »

I know that toys and equipment that get produced from normal reactions will show up, but I don't know about items only makeable from custom reactions. What item type is your "X filled vial"?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 09:56:53 am »

The material type is 'quicksilver filled green glass', and it becomes a flask. But they don't show up in the list of flasks you can order from the liason.
Come play Mafia with us!