Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Megaproject Workshop  (Read 3141 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Megaproject Workshop
« on: June 02, 2010, 06:37:07 pm »

I was throwing ideas around for a megafort sideproject I was working on, and thought it'd be nice to have a dedicated thread for that kind of thing. So I thought I'd start one up. People can toss out grand ideas they have and get tips on how to get it done mechanics-wise, or have a core idea and look for suggestions to flesh it out or add to it, or suggest megaproject ideas that others might want to do.

I'll toss my idea out for starters. The sideproject in question is a rather large ice castle on a glacier, which I'm casting from ice. The cast is going to be 175x100x25, but probably less than half of that is actually going to be left intact as probably only the tower is going to extend to the top level. The method I'm using involves temperature trickery - turn off temperature, pour a layer of water from the caverns, turn on temperature, let it freeze, repeat. Here's what I'm looking for: I have a few ideas on what to throw in, like a large tower attached only by a thin walkway from the main keep's parapet, and an entrance walkway over a large square pond with arches on each side hiding catapults. Even considering a grand cathedral with flying buttresses, but not sure yet. Basically I'm looking to make this a really big crazy castle with all the ridiculous stuff you see in fantasy castles, so I'm hoping to get suggestions for tons of cool pseudo-medieval stuff to add. 100x175 is a lot of space, and I'd like to fill up most of it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:37:18 pm by Retro »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject Workshop
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 06:56:25 pm »

You can do the entire thing in one go. Just build a gigantic square scaffolding. Fill it with water. Turn temperature back on to freeze it. Then tear down the scaffolding and have your miners carve that gigantic ice cube into a fortress.

Alternatively leave temperature on and use a bucket brigade. The water in the bucket will be liquid for long enough for the dwarf to dump it. When it gets dumped it will turn into ice.

You will still have the blood/vomit/ichor issue since it would be above ground, so you will have to make frequency use of dwarf hack to clean it up.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 07:06:34 pm »

Hmm, I've tried mega-projects before, but I can never stay interested long enough, or I try to start from the very beginning to set them up.

My latest project was a fort contained in a small, vertical, circular tube.  I had the circle all drawn out, and everything was inside the tube, and was starting to dig away the outside world, planning to leave a perfect carved, engraved tube sticking out of the ground.  Then the goblins attacked and I got fucked up by "Goblin Christmas" and being unable to control my dwarves as my military tried to catch up with the goblins chasing my civilians.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 07:14:11 pm »

I started my first actually legit megaproject which is a clock counting up to exactly 99.999 days (almost 281 in-game years), the moment the clock passes the 99.999 mark and resets it will activate a doomsday device for which i need some inspiration. I already embarked and designated everything, the map i embarked on seems to mainly have orangutans and elephants on the "calm" forest biome and zombie/skeletal hoary marmots and mountain goats on the "sinister" mountain biome. Maybe i can incorporate them into the doomsday device? (kinda wish it was the other way around though). Also, no elves and turned off invaders for the moment. (size of embarkspot is 1x4 squares)
Also-also, dunno if i should dig for magma if it means it'll put a damper on my FPS (already have a crap computer with crap FPS as is, but maybe i'll cheat to reveal where i can safely dig between pillars without encountering the cavern layers? If that helps).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 07:16:23 pm by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:46:27 pm »

You can do the entire thing in one go. Just build a gigantic square scaffolding. Fill it with water. Turn temperature back on to freeze it. Then tear down the scaffolding and have your miners carve that gigantic ice cube into a fortress.

That's what I'm doing. I'm just looking for ideas on what the castle should include. I'm hoping to make it largely either outdoor courtyards or keep-like buildings.

I started my first actually legit megaproject which is a clock counting up to exactly 99.999 days (almost 281 in-game years), the moment the clock passes the 99.999 mark and resets it will activate a doomsday device for which i need some inspiration.

Magma is the usual standby, but you could probably do something a little more unique than just spewing magma across the world. If FPS wasn't an issue, I'd say dig out most of the ground, and when the doomsday device activates, the entire map except for your fortress (left of a spire of rock) collapses into the magma sea far below. Taking FPS constraints into account... Caging a massive amount of undead creatures, throwing them into a 1x1 area, and then releasing them all at once will probably do the trick.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 08:17:49 pm »

My plan is to build a massive tower, top it with a goat(modded in awhile ago) breeding center over a small lake filled with piranhas(another mod), every birth will wander into a drop trap unless I chose to save it.

The only problem is piranhas are too small to attack well.

anyone know how to make them work, this is the raw, I don't want them huge
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 08:30:33 pm »

I was throwing ideas around for a megafort sideproject I was working on, and though it'd be nice to have a dedicated thread for that kind of thing. So I thought I'd start one up. People can toss out grand ideas they have and get tips on how to get it done mechanics-wise, or have a core idea and look for suggestions to flesh it out or add to it, or suggest megaproject ideas that others might want to do.

I'll toss my idea out for starters. The sideproject in question is a rather large ice castle on a glacier, which I'm casting from ice. The cast is going to be 175x100x25, but probably less than half of that is actually going to be left intact as probably only the tower is going to extend to the top level. The method I'm using involves temperature trickery - turn off temperature, pour a layer of water from the caverns, turn on temperature, let it freeze, repeat. Here's what I'm looking for: I have a few ideas on what to throw in, like a large tower attached only by a thin walkway from the main keep's parapet, and an entrance walkway over a large square pond with arches on each side hiding catapults. Even considering a grand cathedral with flying buttresses, but not sure yet. Basically I'm looking to make this a really big crazy castle with all the ridiculous stuff you see in fantasy castles, so I'm hoping to get suggestions for tons of cool pseudo-medieval stuff to add. 100x175 is a lot of space, and I'd like to fill up most of it.
don't make a castle. make a cathedral. be sure to mod in big hats and give a custom profession pope dwarf one!
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 08:37:23 pm »

I'm still new to DF, sticking mostly to temperate or warm biomes, so I don't have any advice to offer about ice for the OP, but I figure I'll go ahead and contribute a few of my Megaproject ideas I'm planning on as I get used to the game.

Fortress name: Sandcage The Time-Keeper: The central feature the fortress is named after will be an enormous hourglass with cast obsidian caps, with a clear glass central body. Hexagonal base, 36 tiles from north to south (point to point). The caps will be 3 z-levels in height, 38 tiles from north to south.

One of the lower cap's levels will be carved into a grand obsidian dining hall with black bronze furniture. It will accessible by a central stairway from below, and green glass tubes leading into the six corners. The top cap will have a royal bedroom, throne room and dining hall for the monarch. Hanging from the royal cap will be a constructed tin room that will serve as a stockpile for lavish meals and the monarch's favorite booze. If that doesn't make him happy, there will be a black bronze lever encrusted with turquoise he can pull that will answer his complaints. The lower cap will have a constructed copper room for whatever.

Between the two, will be a clear glass stairway. Where the hourglass narrows in the center, the exterior will have a band of bronze wrapped around it. The fortress will only be accessible by going around the hourglass: A drawbridge for merchants on the left, and a collection of traps and marksdwarf fortifications for invaders on the right.

Sandcage will have some other easier features I hope will have some novelty:

1. The graffiti floor: A floor filled with 6x2 sections of wall that will be smoothed and then engraved by a single dwarf, probably recording the fortress's history. Access will be limited as most stairways will bypass it. I think I might hand someone the save file when the place inevitably falls to someone else to see if they can find the secret history of Sandcage. I might do something like designate one row of walls for engraving per year, possibly more for interesting times.

2. The workshop of The Master: Make a small, self-contained location for a legendary metalworker/weaponsmith/armorsmith and stock it with all the fortress's adamantine. It will be filled with masterwork adamantine equipment and stands.

3. The tomb of the Pretenders: Overly demanding nobles will have an alarming tendency to have their heredity questioned. They will be interred deep in the earth in the most ignoble of materials: Wood coffins. They might also find themselves surrounded by statues of the things they detested in life.

4. The mouth of the underworld: A hexagonal hole dug all the way to expose a section of an underground cavern to the sun, possibly covered with a clear glass ceiling.

---

Incidentally, one question: Is it better to pour magma into water or water into magma? It's been a while since I've taken chemistry.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 11:00:02 pm »

A fortress entrance entirely flooded with magma. When migrants or anyone comes, the magma is drained and the entrance is permeable. Fun for gobbos.

Take 7 military dwarves and wepons (maybe a farmer), And dig into the HFS. Kill the HFS, and take the base for yourself. Repurpose it. The enemies will ahve to go through the caves to get to you. Funfun.
Meowth! That's right!

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 02:38:53 am »

That's a good diagram, but it's missing the contingent of drooling Dwarf Fortress players.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 03:05:09 am »

That's a good diagram, but it's missing the contingent of drooling Dwarf Fortress players.
My favorite part is the robots.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 03:08:32 am »

Also magma.

Actually, one fort idea I've had for the longest time is a highly mechanized fortress with plumbing, and an open concept. So, imagine a fully sewer system with cisterns, channels, automated pumps, and iron grating over the floors. I've always had trouble imagining how I'd integrate it though..
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 03:45:57 am »

@Retro; make a thread if it's successful, I want to see how it turns out =D

A moat would be a must if it wasn't for the fact you're on a glacier. I Minas Tirith style design would be awesome, which reminds me:

So this morning I thought how cool making Moria would be. I'm planning to imitate the Moria of the films as closely as I can, including the front entrance at low elevation with the lake[read zoned pond] and Balin's tomb [for my expedition leader, it seems fitting to give the founder such a burial] and the bridge of Khazad Dum [which I will not construct, oh no, I'm going to carve the bridge out of the mountain and all the cavern around it. I'm also going to do my best to make the endless stair and the Mountain Celebdil.

It'll probably fail, and I'll be having lot's of Fun with it.

But if goblins take it over then that's canonical at least. XD
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 04:05:35 am by Old-one-eye »
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 09:45:36 am »

don't make a castle. make a cathedral. be sure to mod in big hats and give a custom profession pope dwarf one!

Well, a cathedral will definitely be part of it. 100x175 is a pretty big space though, so it certainly won't take up all of it :P

Incidentally, one question: Is it better to pour magma into water or water into magma? It's been a while since I've taken chemistry.

Ambitious project! And considering it's DF we're talking about you can throw your notion of chemistry out the window. Either will work, but generally it's easier to pour water into magma by filling a base with magma, then filling a drop area with water floored with bridges, then sealing the drop area and opening all the bridges at once.

Actually, one fort idea I've had for the longest time is a highly mechanized fortress with plumbing, and an open concept. So, imagine a fully sewer system with cisterns, channels, automated pumps, and iron grating over the floors. I've always had trouble imagining how I'd integrate it though..

That sounds pretty cool. You wouldn't need to 'integrate' it if it was the majority of your fort - you could have dwarves actually live in the sewers and whatnot, with small rooms offshooting the sewer walkways. For width, two tiles of land, three tiles of waterway, and another two tiles of land on the other side is probably good. You could have crazy amounts of waterwheel power as well!

@Retro; make a thread if it's successful, I want to see how it turns out =D

A moat would be a must if it wasn't for the fact you're on a glacier.

I'd feel like a big attention hog if I posted every project I worked on in a new thread :P I'll probably just post it here. and I will be doing a moat, actually! After the last bit of the cast has been formed, I'll keep temperature off, so the pleasant cavern water from below won't freeze up.

But if goblins take it over then that's canonical at least. XD

Bahahaha. Oh, there's a link in my sig for tips on mass-digging, if it helps. Dated to 40d but mostly still accurate.
Pages: [1] 2