Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exploding Projectiles  (Read 1228 times)

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Exploding Projectiles
« on: June 02, 2010, 06:09:24 pm »

Alright everyone, I recently read a post about someone having their trade depot explode into blood, presumably after traders unloaded freezing boiling leather.

This obviously inspired an idea, sadly I have barely the basic understanding of the raws and mechanics of DF and don't know if it's even possible, that you could make a projectile that turns into something similar to the leather upon impact, causing it to explode/melt the area around it. This would be so fun and interesting to play with.

So, modders, would this be possible at all?

If it is possible, you no longer have elves with feeble fireballs. You have elves that launch freezing lava-filled banelings of pure win against your fortress walls.

Heres the other thread.
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exploding Projectiles
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 06:18:37 pm »

This sort of thing has been discussed before and its not really possible.

Its possible to just mod your elves to shoot fireballs though, at least in d40.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 03:15:53 am »

To be honest you could get an interesting result if the boiling point is below room temperature and the freesing point is  higher than the boiling point. I'm gova try this out now.

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 10:15:19 am »

This sort of thing has been discussed before and its not really possible.

Its possible to just mod your elves to shoot fireballs though, at least in d40.

Oh, that's disappointing. I never really figured out how to give elves fireballs either :P

In that case, is there any way to change the fireball into a glob or something of blood? Or anything besides fire?
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 10:57:57 am »

Nope. Just fire.

I think you can give anything the ability to shoot fireballs by adding the [magical] tag in the raws. At least, as best as I can tell by looking at the Wizard raws.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Wizard

Might look at some other creatures with supernatural powers to see what the tag is that allowes that. Ironmen shoot some kinda gas and dragons spit fire and whatnot.

DeMasked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 01:59:34 pm »

Well, Fire Men shoot fireballs and dragons breath fire... Figure out what allows each to do so and you have a Wizard that can shoot fire. As for anything else though, perhaps Toady can be arsed to make fire-type attacks non-hard-coded, or you could use projectile vomiting coupled with syndromes.
DF's initial learning curve is more like a learning cliff, essentially the game shoves you off and expects you learn how to fly before you hit the ground.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 03:50:43 pm »

Nope. Just fire.

I think you can give anything the ability to shoot fireballs by adding the [magical] tag in the raws. At least, as best as I can tell by looking at the Wizard raws.

Might look at some other creatures with supernatural powers to see what the tag is that allowes that. Ironmen shoot some kinda gas and dragons spit fire and whatnot.

Actually, I believe [magical] does nothing.

Previous version (40d), [dragonfirebreath] was huge fans of flame, while [firebreath] was smaller balls of flame.

Current version:  [firebreath] is now useless, the creatures still shoot fireballs but said fireballs do no damage.  [dragonfirebreath] is still huge fans of flames, and is still devastating.  There is also a new tag [material_breath_attack::] which gives us a lot of new options to play with.  My experience has been that solid_glob and liquid_glob are about as threatening as a tap on the shoulder, both dust_flows are buggy, and the vapor and gas material_breath_attacks are insanely useful.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 04:01:02 pm »

Fireballs DO damage and set things on fire. My obsidian dwarves burn whole forests with that :). They are weaker than fireballs though, and they are a real breath now, not a ball.

In some pre-40d versions [MAGICAL] made you at peace with humanoid animals (like harpies) and cause a lot of weirdness. I do not remember the details though, it was long time ago.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

DeMasked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 04:32:00 pm »

Nope. Just fire.

Actually, I believe [magical] does nothing.

Previous version (40d), [dragonfirebreath] was huge fans of flame, while [firebreath] was smaller balls of flame.

Current version:  [firebreath] is now useless, the creatures still shoot fireballs but said fireballs do no damage.  [dragonfirebreath] is still huge fans of flames, and is still devastating.  There is also a new tag [material_breath_attack::] which gives us a lot of new options to play with.  My experience has been that solid_glob and liquid_glob are about as threatening as a tap on the shoulder, both dust_flows are buggy, and the vapor and gas material_breath_attacks are insanely useful.
The glob and ball are doing no damage for you because they are meant to be paired with syndromes. The fireball is not meant to do damage in and of itself, but through the fire it sets on the target.
DF's initial learning curve is more like a learning cliff, essentially the game shoves you off and expects you learn how to fly before you hit the ground.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 06:46:06 pm »

Are (or were) the fireballs broken in the arena, then?  Because when I was trying to get the turret thing working back when DF2010 first came out they weren't doing anything for me.  I was testing it by flying around as a bird and letting the creatures shoot fireballs at me, and nothing ever happened (I just tested it again as a bat man in a rope reed coat and loincloth, in version 31.03, and neither the fireballs nor the small sheets of flame damaged me or set my clothes on fire).

Solid glob is basically a projectile weapon, and as far as I know doesn't expose its target to any syndromes attached to the material.  However, I haven't had a lot of luck getting it to actually do damage, anything less than slade usually just glaces away or causes light bruises.  Liquid glob I think is supposed to fire liquid at the target, but acts essentially like Solid glob and doesn't expose the target to any syndromes unless maybe the glob misses completely, lands without striking anything, and is then stepped on?
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

DeMasked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 07:42:57 pm »

Are (or were) the fireballs broken in the arena, then?  Because when I was trying to get the turret thing working back when DF2010 first came out they weren't doing anything for me.  I was testing it by flying around as a bird and letting the creatures shoot fireballs at me, and nothing ever happened (I just tested it again as a bat man in a rope reed coat and loincloth, in version 31.03, and neither the fireballs nor the small sheets of flame damaged me or set my clothes on fire).

Solid glob is basically a projectile weapon, and as far as I know doesn't expose its target to any syndromes attached to the material.  However, I haven't had a lot of luck getting it to actually do damage, anything less than slade usually just glaces away or causes light bruises.  Liquid glob I think is supposed to fire liquid at the target, but acts essentially like Solid glob and doesn't expose the target to any syndromes unless maybe the glob misses completely, lands without striking anything, and is then stepped on?
What if the material fired was the creature's blood, which would have a syndrome? Maybe the feature itself simply isn't finished yet? I don't know.