Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How Deep Should They Sleep?  (Read 3101 times)

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
How Deep Should They Sleep?
« on: June 02, 2010, 04:02:10 pm »

I've been getting better at DF, and have been working on making better floor plans. For 40d, I've read it's best to have sleeping quarters about 9 levels below the surface, so that they aren't disturbed by the sound of woodcutting or combat on the surface. The problem is that's about where caverns start in 2010. Is it really worth it to keep my average dwarf's quarters that deep, or is the noise not worth the trouble?
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: How Deep Should They Sleep?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:04:20 pm »

I've been getting better at DF, and have been working on making better floor plans. For 40d, I've read it's best to have sleeping quarters about 9 levels below the surface, so that they aren't disturbed by the sound of woodcutting or combat on the surface. The problem is that's about where caverns start in 2010. Is it really worth it to keep my average dwarf's quarters that deep, or is the noise not worth the trouble?

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Noise

40d info should still be relevant here.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 04:05:41 pm »

Noise issues are barely anything. A decent meal or drink is stronger than the bad thought from it, and unless a workshop is directly above the bedroom in question, with 9 floors between, the sound won't reach them. Also,  I don't think the combat noise spreads as far as workshops.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 05:09:48 pm »

I generally found that if you make bedrooms too far from things that make noise, the result ends up being dwarves more frequently sleeping on the ground near their activity zones, generating slept-on-ground thoughts instead of noise-thoughts.  So now I provide bedrooms close to everything, even beds near workshops, and just focus on providing them high quality rooms or beds or chests or what not to offset noise-thoughts.  While a bedroom has a chance to generate a noise-thought, it also has multiple chances to generate happy thoughts from the objects and quality, so I think concentrating on making them extremely accessible and high quality is the best compromise.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 06:51:11 pm »

According to the wiki, workshops don't actually make noise right now anyway.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 06:54:23 pm »

In hell.

:D

I was assuming the thread was referring to tombs just from the title.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 07:01:32 pm »

I generally have my living quarters set up within a z-lvl or two of the workshops level. I rarely notice a noise thought, and even then like has been said its a relatively minor bad thought. Now that I think about it the only time I notice a noise thought is very early in my fort when I tend to keep all the sleeping/working/ect all clustered together in a small area while I dig out the rest of the fort.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 07:37:39 pm »

Alright. Guess I'll be compacting my fort levels, then. Guess my next task is to figure out how to organize during expansion, and where to put the dinner hall before creating the obsidian cast one in my hourglass megastructure. Planning on having it be filled with black bronze furniture, since I like the dark purple with the dark gray of obsidian.

As for graveyards, I'd probably stick the nobles who annoy me in cheap coffins down near the lava sea near their fiendish bretheren, rather than the elaborate tombs they were promised in life. (Those go to the dwarves who actually contribute.)
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 08:23:23 pm »

The most prevalent DF myth: workshops create noise.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 11:56:36 pm »

As deep as you can go is more dwarfy, in any case.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 12:46:24 am »

Bear in mind, the deeper you go the closer youll be to caverns and caverns = trees.

I havent really noticed many noise thoughts though, if any.  Maybe it was nurfed in .31 or something.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 04:58:58 am »

next to the lava caverns
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Coronel_Niel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 05:04:34 am »

Because noise goes down and accross in a box, go down the Z level diagonally

Side on

--------------N
--------------
--------------
--------------
B-------------

N is Noise/Fort (most of the fort makes noise, like moving stuff ect) and B is bedrooms. This should work quiet well, haven't tried it.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 05:14:05 am »

Even if your bedroom is three z-levels below the workshop, you shouldn't have an problems with noise. So if your workshops are on the first layer below the surface, your bedrooms can be on the fourth and your dwarfs will be happy.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 05:37:38 am »

Workshops do not make noise.

Workshops do not make noise. No, really.

There are two real sources of noise you really need to worry about, the first is eating, which is only like one or two squares. So long as you don't have table | wall | bed it's not a big deal.

The other is building furniture/digging/smoothing/engraving. With the possible exception of furniture, each one of these only has to be done once, but they have to be done everywhere. Also, they cause noise 16 tiles in every direction. To always avoid them you'd have to have the bedrooms very far away. It's really not worth caring about.

Review: Do workshops make noise? No, they do not
Pages: [1] 2