Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How Deep Should They Sleep?  (Read 3098 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How Deep Should They Sleep?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 10:32:02 am »

As for graveyards, I'd probably stick the nobles who annoy me in cheap coffins down near the lava sea near their fiendish bretheren, rather than the elaborate tombs they were promised in life.

Don't waste the stone on the coffins. Dump em in magma. They aren't even worth the log/rock to hold their corpse, just chuck em. Bonus if the fall is far enough that their corpse explodes on the bottom of the magma pipe before burning away.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 12:30:02 pm »

But how can I deal with workshop noise wake'ing up my dwarf's?????////

No, JK, but seriously, once the bedroom complex is fully built and as long as you aren't tucking the bedrooms into alcoves in your active quarry, you probably won't wake a dwarf up but once in a while. And it doesn't super duper piss them off anyway. Mining, smoothing, furniture building, all these wake a fellow up.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 12:45:01 pm »

A legendary dining room with a mist generator in it cures all woes.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 05:26:54 pm »

In hell.

:D

No no, that's the place for dining rooms, not bedrooms.   ;D

KG

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 07:12:57 pm »

A legendary dining room with a mist generator in it cures all woes.

It's mindboggling how much dwarves love mist.

"My whole family was just slaughtered by Harpies and my three pets were roasted by a dragon? It's okay, I'm standing in mist!"
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 08:08:59 pm »

I dunno man, mist is pretty awesome. When was the last time you were refreshed by some lovely mist?
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 08:11:34 pm »

I'm beginning to wonder if I should make a mist machine inside my mega construction's giant dining hall. Wonder how I can hide the power source.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 12:39:03 am »

Urist is estatic. Urist has been annoyed while sleeping lately by noise. Urist has slept in a bedroom like a personal palace recently.

Thats my way of dealing with it :D
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 12:25:21 pm »

The way I deal with it is to dig out a sort of central hub -warehouse, larder, trade depot and dining room- and build workshops branch on one side and living quarters on the other. I'm pretty sure workshop noise will be making a comeback in future versions, so one might as well get into the habit.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 05:23:23 pm »

I never pay attention to noise... my temporary bedrooms while the fort is being set up are all 1x3s, but once I have three or four miners working everyone gets a 3x3 bedroom. Besides, I love it when a dwarf tantrums! It makes the game much more interesting. I have yet to see a full-blown tantrum spiral in a healthy fort (mostly I end up with tantrumers immobile and fading in and out of consciousness).

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 01:00:59 am »

Just a suggestion, but with burrows and all. Couldnt you profile a workshop to one dwarf, in the same room, give him a dining room, and a bed and stuff and leave him there forever. Since he is the only one using the workshop, he wont be bothered by noise, since he isnt working while sleeping. Then just make your workshops 4 apart, which you use for storage. Seems perfect to me. Later on add a little running water, get some haulers to move food around. Perfect.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 01:47:22 am »

Even if workshops did make noise, I'd argue that it's better to keep bedrooms reasonably close because otherwise it would take too long for dwarves to get to/from jobs. The slowdown on getting stuff done from not having buildings near each other is pretty noticeable.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 01:47:48 am »

Just a suggestion, but with burrows and all. Couldnt you profile a workshop to one dwarf, in the same room, give him a dining room, and a bed and stuff and leave him there forever. Since he is the only one using the workshop, he wont be bothered by noise, since he isnt working while sleeping. Then just make your workshops 4 apart, which you use for storage. Seems perfect to me. Later on add a little running water, get some haulers to move food around. Perfect.
Workshops do not make noise.

Workshops do not make noise. No, really.

There are two real sources of noise you really need to worry about, the first is eating, which is only like one or two squares. So long as you don't have table | wall | bed it's not a big deal.

The other is building furniture/digging/smoothing/engraving. With the possible exception of furniture, each one of these only has to be done once, but they have to be done everywhere. Also, they cause noise 16 tiles in every direction. To always avoid them you'd have to have the bedrooms very far away. It's really not worth caring about.

Review: Do workshops make noise? No, they do not
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!
Pages: 1 [2]