yes, montage me
- 5 (83.3%)
Ok, montage them
- 1 (16.7%)
i really would rather not montage one week
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 46

Author Topic: Fortress Mode: the RPG (is it dead or what lol?)  (Read 34576 times)

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Mode: the RPG
« Reply #270 on: July 08, 2010, 05:06:30 pm »

I build the first floor of the tower I'm sleeping  in.

16 hours spent building, making more blocks if I run out.
8 hours eating and sleeping.

Code: [Select]
0==╬==D
|+++++|
|+++++|
|+++++|
|▲+++▼|
0=====0
Future levels will have arrow-slits and ballista-slits. I'd like to eventually form a kill-zone in front of the fortress.
We can fire ballista at higher/lower z-levels, right?
yes you can

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 08, 2010, 05:49:50 pm »

Day 20...

Cogs spends most of his time remembering his knots. The knowledge comes back quickly and he prepares 2 working rope snares as a traps. they're pretty big. He also tries to upgrade his bed the same way as the other have been, with reeds from the swampbanks, but its not a great improvement. Just makes it stinkier. The real improvement is having a wooden bedframe to get off the ground with.

Eral takes her axe and spends time chopping away at trees and has to go farther than ever due to the already deforested area. There were not many trees before, but now its even worthwhile to wade out into the swamp and chop trees there. A bit dangerous, and it scares the fishies, but it beats heading way out. 14 woods is added to the stocks.

Urist searches high and low for some edible plants that others might have missed, luckily he has to head out very far to even find anything still intact. In the end he doesnt find anything more edible than an acorn, that is, untill he is interrupted by a sharp pain in his foot! A tiny carnivorous plant has bitten him through the shoe! Looking down he realizes he is right next to a giant venus mantrap! with one of its little spawn right at its roots. Luckily for Urist, the venus mantrap has already eaten, and its form lies peacefully down low, camouflaged amongst the other shrubs and plants and with 2 limbs from some poor creature hanging out of its jaws.

Nanothnir plants and works his field further. His field now fills up every nook and cranny with tilled soil and extends all the way to the swampbank. His work yields 5 weeks more worth of unprocessed whip vines harvestable at the end of the season. He also dutifully stands guard and practices during the night.

Ochita interrupts his rest and heaves himself out of bed. He climbs up the stairs, all 200plus flights all the way to ground level and takes a tablet back down with him. He nearly passes out a few times but its all worth it to get his inspiration down in writing. (3 days left to recover)

Nirur works doubletime -over his basement, putting up stone blocks and forming a wall around all 4 sides.Hauling everythign up himself, He uses up 5 blocks, and leaves nothing but a small spot for a door before the day is out.

Moods

++++Nirur +satisfied at work - tired
++Ochita+recuperating
+Nanothnir
++++Urist
++Eral+ satisfied at work.
++++Cogs

As the day ends. Nanothnir calls a meeting of sorts in the best room available. The partial dining area in Nirur's underground tower basement. The miners and builders are called, but everyone shows up. there are a few tables and chairs here, but with everyone here it is standing room only. Nirur proposes an idea for a safer farm, an underground farm specifically. The buckets and swamp water are available, it is just a matter of digging out a hole. There is exposed obsidian just off one of the bedrooms, why not there? or wherever, Some proper underground farms are whats important...

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 08, 2010, 06:05:54 pm »

MEANWHILE...

Some migrants have arrived!

Ravist, Garul, Azurist, and Hrodegr, have all run all the way to the base of the mountains. To the base of the volcano. Their pursuers have not been chasing them with conviction for a few hours now but that is no reason to slow down. The volcano base shows signs of dwarven industry, with a field of tree stumps poking out everywhere, and senseless holes in the ground plus footprints sinking deep in the mud everywhere. Continuing onward they come across what seems to be a small dwarven outpost. They see the walls of a tower in construction first, hiding behind fields of young growing plants. A whisp of smoke comes out of a chimmeney in the middle of it all, and coming closer the plain unassuming entrance into the mountainside is present too. but where are the other dwarves? Walking their muddy feet all over the tower floor, they hear the sounds of dwarfs talking underneath, clearly they are through the floor hatch, It seems introductions are in order.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 08, 2010, 07:12:44 pm »

Garul pounds on the hatch, calling out, "Open up in the name of good booze, please!"

8 hours- Meet and Greet
8 hours- rest: using tent material as temporary cot
8 hours- Set up mechanics shop in an available workspace and start to make some mechanisms.

Edited to adjust activity
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:08:00 pm by Riversand »
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 08, 2010, 07:35:25 pm »

Let me in

8 Hours Making Beds, dibs on 1st one
8 Hours Hunting (we have some bolts already right?)
8 Hours Eating, Resting, petting wolves and Sleeping
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 08, 2010, 07:37:16 pm »

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDIC!

12 hours rest/comsume
12 hours sleep

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 08, 2010, 07:43:22 pm »

8 hours improving tower B: Create a door for it, install it, then build a roof that will act as a floor for the next level.
8 hours resting/eating/socilizing
8 hours sleeping.

----------

I have added in a section for keeping track of rooms. We'll need them.

Note: The dining area was setup in a workshop room, but ... it was quietly moved at some point, without anybody's knowledge. Yes.

To players: I can't be bothered to look back for all the rooms. Please post where you're sleeping with what, whatever other interesting rooms there are, and what goods are stored there.

GM: I'm having a hard time keeping track of farming, since you're not giving specific numbers for what has been planted. For now, I just had all the whipvine planted.

Spoiler: Day 20-21 stocks (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Unknowns (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rooms (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Traps (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 07:48:44 pm by Nirur Torir »

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 08, 2010, 07:51:21 pm »

Let me in

8 Hours Making Beds, dibs on 1st one
8 Hours Hunting (we have some bolts already right?)
8 Hours Eating, Resting, petting wolves and Sleeping

you start with a quiver and 20 bolts free, there are arrows but no additional bolts in the stocks

http://yfrog.com/2mdsci1113j   This is my map so far lol

There is a stone reinforced cabin, a trade depot, a stocks room, a masons room and 6 completed bedrooms and a mineshaft that leads down to the hospital. Ochita, Urist Doc and Eral sleep in the mountain, and cogs and neyvn sleep outside in shelters against the mountain, Nirur sleeps in the basement and i guess i messed up where the tables and chairs were somehow, no matter they can be moved easily.

The farm I have been saying how many weeks worth of planted food was plantedi thought. all planted plants can be harvested at the end of the season. dont bother keeping track of seeds. at the end of each season all planted plants can be picked. as long as there are any seeds in the fort then more of that kind of plant can be planted. Dont know if that helps.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:10:04 pm by Hastur »

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 08, 2010, 09:08:37 pm »

notice, activity updated

8 hours- Meet and Greet
8 hours- rest: using tent material as temporary cot
8 hours- Set up mechanics shop in an available workspace and start to make some mechanisms.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Azure Sepulchre

• Bay Watcher
  • Y'all have knocked her up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 09, 2010, 10:11:33 am »

8 Hours - Quaff beer while I pretend to be interested in what people are saying.
8 Hours - Dig myself out a small bedroom, 3 x 2, and toss all my stuff in there (including the anvil); preferably somewhere isolated from the other rooms.
8 Hours - Follow any directions Nirur (or anyone else) has for building the underground farm.

http://yfrog.com/2mdsci1113j   This is my map so far lol

There is a stone reinforced cabin, a trade depot, a stocks room, a masons room and 6 completed bedrooms and a mineshaft that leads down to the hospital. Ochita, Urist Doc and Eral sleep in the mountain, and cogs and neyvn sleep outside in shelters against the mountain, Nirur sleeps in the basement and i guess i messed up where the tables and chairs were somehow, no matter they can be moved easily.

Hmm... might try and make a DF map later based on that. Depends on if I have the free time or not. Unless anyone else plans to?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 09, 2010, 10:27:17 am »

Quote from: Poll
Ochita the Miner and Trader
    - 2 (28.6%)
Eral Dummutusung the woodcutter
    - 0 (0%)
Urist Brewfist the Brewmaster!
    - 3 (42.9%)
Nirur Torir the Mason,Stoneworker, and Bookeeper
    - 2 (28.6%)
Cog Goldkook the Fisheryworker
    - 0 (0%)

May Armok have mercy on our souls if Org is elected as the leader.

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 09, 2010, 04:36:26 pm »

No! you've only drawn attention to it!

Day 21...
The blood gnats are out in force once again, but otherwise the day is quiet, perhaps too quiet. The meeting ended without a clear agreed upon plan, the only thing that was clear was to name the fortress Magmasparkles.

Azurist digs out a small bedroom, at the end of the hallway, passing by two unused and unclaimed bedrooms. Taking matters into his own hands, he digs out a potential farming area. Chipping away halfhazardly, he breaches into a small empty space, a narrow crack. Making the classic dwarven mistake of peering in, a cave slime leaps at his face! recoiling back just in time to save his beard, the slime plops down on his chest and dissolves his tunic. Azurist slaps it down onto the floor and runs away. Returning with a torch to set it on fire, the only sure way to get rid of those things. But he cannot find it... he is glad he is not sleeping tonight, he does not even have a door to protect him during his sleep! The farming area is about half done, and produced no stone. Azurist dug out lots, and the new farm area is the biggest room yet.

Garul claims one of the unused bedrooms, and sets up a carpentry workshop outside, working on a simple stone as a workbench, he sucessfully makes a feeble cot fit to sleep on and folds the tent over it.  One of the unused bedrooms becomes a mechanics workshop after he quickly sets up a working area. Its mostly just a rock with Garuls tools besides it, but Garul gets to work immediatly and manages to complete a single mechanism in the remaining time, drilling out the center gearhole he admires his first work.

Revist gets to making some beds and makes 3 beds out of 3 wood. The only thing is that he has to work outside in the sun BLECH! Next he takes up his crossbow and has his Half-Wolves (compromise) go out hunting with him, but he reconsiders and leaves the pups behind. Sneaking out farther and farther, he detects tracks of a potentialy edible creature, an alligator. Following the tracks to the swamps edge, he follows the perimiter and shoots what could be a log, luckily it was in fact an alligator, and he hauls back a dead alligator. he gets back just in time to pat his pets on the head once each before going to bed just in time.

Nirur makes a door, looks down and sees that he made two accidently somehow he is that good. After installing the door he finishes about a third of the roof over his tower.

Urist hobbles around camp until he find the doc to look at his foot. It seems that the tiny plant had an acidic bite, but the wound is only minor and should heal on its own, no need for bed rest, but it wouldn't hurt. Urist rests and rubs his foot anyways. And the crazy Idea to dig up the plant while it is hibernating to digest its meal and use it for fortress defence somehow crosses his mind, it could be dug up and cultivated or hauled. it would require a shovel, a huge meal for the plant, and a wooden handcart or wheelbarrow.

Nanothnir goes off gathering herbs, with the surrounding area completely barren he dicides to check out the volcano slope. At first there is nothing to gather, but climbing up a long way, he dicovers a rocky shelf with quarry bushes hiding hiding in some cravasses and gathers 2 weeks worth of rock nuts, but he also can see the fire imps dancing near the volcano peak glowing  in the distance. After resting, broken up with archery practice, he checks out the fortifications, eventually ending up passing out during guard duty due to a weak will.

Hrodegr stands about for a bit and seems to ignore the other dwarves as he goes about familiarizing himself with the fortress. he is seen rummaging through the stocks and dragging a stone bedframe to the incompleted bedroom and making it his. He sets up a leatherworkers shop on the outskirts and sleeps.

Moods
++++Nirur +satisfied at work
Azurist +satisfied at work --no sleep - worried about the creeping slime
Garul -- skips sleep and nearly passes out -is tired from working a double shift
+++++Ochita+recuperating and is ecstatic
+Nanothnir -tired - inadequate sleep -grumbling at passing out
++++Urist+rest&recuperated, urist is ecstatic
Revist+satisfied at work -Tired
Hrodegr
+++Eral+Idle
++++Cogs-- is bedridden with some kind of flu.
Additionally everyone is accosted by terrible blood gnats -, and some inconsiderant dwarf spent the whole night mining-!

During the day, Nanothnir concludes his inspection of the fort, in his opinion, there is no good area for a wall. Not only is the volcano slope very steep, but the fortress workshops extend right up to the waters edge. A gatehouse would work best incorporated into the fortress entrance into the mountain. and towers are already being built. Asking around, nobody else has the milling skill.

done
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:00:41 pm by Hastur »

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 11, 2010, 03:48:27 am »

you okay hastur? anything wrong?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 11, 2010, 06:45:01 am »

Spends 1-2 Hours CHECKING on the fields.
6hrs Herbalism (ARMED)
Spends 5hrs Resting/Eating
Spends 3hrs Archer Training.
Spends 3hrs Guard Duty.
Spends 5hrs Sleeping. Rotating between Guard Duty and Sleep.

During Resting Examine the area for defensive reasoning.
-Best Location for a wall.
-Best Location for a Gatehouse.
-Best Location for Towers.
During Resting ask around for anyone with Milling Experience...

During Guard Duty
Carve extra Arrows...

Bring thoughts up on beginnings of construction during next meeting after Underground Farms have been readied.

Q: How close to reaching next level of my skills???
Q: How much longer will the pups take to grow, they have been spending a while nosing around the farmlands...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 11, 2010, 08:28:51 am »

nevyn didnt you read, he hasnt finished the turn yet
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 46