Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Refuse... that isn't refuse.  (Read 2388 times)

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
Refuse... that isn't refuse.
« on: June 02, 2010, 01:54:17 pm »

Since anatomy has changed alot in the newer builds i was curious if anyone had some tips on setting up refuse stock piles in 31? Specifically i'm having trouble making sure bones are near a craftshop. Not that bolts are useful for anything right now but its a force of habit.

I'd also like to hear other strategies people use to make use of "refuse" now that body parts are handled differently.

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
Re: Refuse... that isn't refuse.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 02:36:48 pm »

Hit the q key and hover the cursor over the stockpile near your craftsdwarf's workshop and then press s for settings, disable everything other than bone.
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 02:57:58 pm »

Right, i'm aware of the filters but last time i checked bone wasn't an option under refuse. Granted that was in 31.02

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 03:04:00 pm »

Right, i'm aware of the filters but last time i checked bone wasn't an option under refuse. Granted that was in 31.02
remains I think covers bone.
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 03:11:23 pm »

You'll want to select body parts to keep bones, remains are vermin. You'll also probably want to make a dump zone somewhere and set refuse 'o'rders to dump remains to keep your bone pile free of things like cartilage and hair.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 03:26:15 pm »

thanks. Kind'a frusterating to have my theory prooven right. Wish toady hadn't removed bone from the list =(

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 07:41:56 pm »

Just mod the cartiledge and hair as shell type items, and you'll get artifacts proudly made with ox hair.
igless

ThiefofTime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 07:48:00 pm »

just a note, Hooves count as horn/ivory for crafts and such.

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 09:36:34 pm »

WHAT?!?!? Where does it say this? I've been assuming they were useless and just tossing them!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 10:30:12 pm »

It says so in this thread.  Might in the wiki also; who knows.  Try stuff that can't possibly work from time to time; often enough, it does work (other times it destroys your fortress, but hey, it's for science).

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 11:22:00 pm »

WHAT?!?!? Where does it say this? I've been assuming they were useless and just tossing them!

Yep, I know for a fact that dwarves use hooves when you tell them to make "horn crafts".

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 11:43:51 pm »

Bone and shell are body parts, now. Useless bits like cartilage, nervous tissue, and hair should really be dumped somewhere outdoors to vanish.

Or dropped on elven caravans by a drawbridge, just for the hell of it.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Gus Smedstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 07:07:16 am »

The thing that drives me crazy about refuse piles is that the useful stuff is in a long list with the useless stuff under "body parts."  So either you mark the stuff for dumping periodically, or you spend ages sifting through the filter for every refuse pile you create.

"Dwarves dump Other refuse" is really great once you have an atom smasher or other way of destroying things in a garbage dump.

- Gus

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 07:45:27 am »

The thing that drives me crazy about refuse piles is that the useful stuff is in a long list with the useless stuff under "body parts."  So either you mark the stuff for dumping periodically, or you spend ages sifting through the filter for every refuse pile you create.

"Dwarves dump Other refuse" is really great once you have an atom smasher or other way of destroying things in a garbage dump.

- Gus

You can set up custom stockpiles that have the useless stuff pre-excluded.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 11:14:52 am »

- Gus

You can set up custom stockpiles that have the useless stuff pre-excluded.

How? Body parts is such a broad tag. Mind going into detail for the rest of us?
Pages: [1] 2