Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Waterfall doorway  (Read 4517 times)

Genkora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Waterfall doorway
« on: June 01, 2010, 11:24:13 pm »

I was thinking of making the main entrance to a new fortress directly through a waterfall.  I was thinking I could dam up the source of the waterfall, then mine into the side of the cliff where the water falls, channel 3 or 4 squares into it to compensate for splashing, and then build a ton of floor grates through where the water falls.  If it is the only entrance into my fortress, will the dwarves walk through the waterfall after I unplug the dam?  I'll probably just go for it if no one knows the answer.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfall doorway
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 11:39:44 pm »

Never done that, but I'd bet they will.  I have a fort on some ocean cliffs right now, and the waves generate a lot of mist (the same as falling water I think?).  It doesn't get in the way of their pathing, or even building in it, but it does make it tough on me as a player, to see what is going on.

Since you'll have the water dammed up, until you are done building, you should be absolutely fine I'd think.  And hey, Losing is Fun, right?

Also, since you're damming up the river anyway, install some floodgates so you can turn it off remotely if for some reason you ever do need/want to re-dam it.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 12:49:23 am »

Mist isn't the same, no. Falling water does generate mist, but is not mist itself - even as it falls, it still exists as blocks of water in its full amount. So if a 4/7 block of water (or more) falls across your doorway, even for a second before passing into the grate, any dwarves that were heading that way will lose it and cancel whatever they were doing, insisting it's dangerous. It'll work if the waterfall never pours more than 3/7 blocks of water down, so you'll have to be careful.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 01:16:03 am »

My bad.

Maybe expand the width of the waterfall at the top then?  Like if the waterfall is 5 wide, make it 15 wide from the same source or something?

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 01:32:17 am »

What if you had a draw bridge a zlvl or two above the entrance? You could lower it, and it would block the water, allowing safe passage underneath it. Raise it and the entrance could be covered by the water falling down.

Genkora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 01:54:04 am »

Well, I just found the perfect waterfall, it is 3 Z levels between the top river and the bottom one.  I will attempt to widen the river up top, and will post results when it is finished.  Also, I won't do the drawbridge idea, I want the dwarves to walk through the waterfall.

Genkora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 03:20:29 am »

Alright, it's finished.  AND IT WORKS, MWA HA HA HA!!!!!  My dwarves will be comforted by a lovely waterfall and mist every time they venture outside.  I built some floodgates connected to a lever, so if for some reason I ever wanted to halt the waterfall again, I can do so.

here is the entrance, notice the mist as it hits the grates
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

here is my miner, who just went through the waterfall to mine some stuff.  Also I struck limonite right behind the waterfall.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It is my hope that this leads to more people making waterfalls their front doors.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 03:28:30 am »

You should consider building railings in case a dwarf dodges off the edge into the water below.

Also, what is your fps when the river is stable but the waterfall is in operation?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Genkora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 03:35:01 am »

It jumps around quite a bit anywhere from 50-85 fps.  I'm on 40d19, and I have a 1.83ghz dual core.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 03:40:39 am »

I see.

I think waterfall entrances are amazingly cool, but I feel that their fps cost is a bit too high.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 08:34:29 am »

If it isn't magma it probably won't kill you.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 09:38:43 am »

If it isn't magma it probably won't kill you.
1) init file
2) Temperature:NO
3) Mordor fort entrance
4) ????
5) PROFIT!!
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 11:51:12 am »

I was thinking of making the main entrance to a new fortress directly through a waterfall.  I was thinking I could dam up the source of the waterfall, then mine into the side of the cliff where the water falls, channel 3 or 4 squares into it to compensate for splashing, and then build a ton of floor grates through where the water falls.  If it is the only entrance into my fortress, will the dwarves walk through the waterfall after I unplug the dam?  I'll probably just go for it if no one knows the answer.

Having completed a similar project in a previous fortress i feel i must offer one important point of advice.

Design puppy safe drains sir. Puppy safe drains.

Oh, and yes, they will walk through the water as long as the flow isn't strong enough to drag them away. They walked through mine in 40d just fine.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 12:21:34 pm »

Note that if this was the 2010 version, that would make a very good way to save your military when the death dust comes knocking.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 12:24:16 pm »

When I did my water curtain wall I did a layer of grates 1 Z level below the walkway, with an escape route from the grates. The escape route was also loaded with traps to ensure nothing nasty could escape into the fortress. A 1 Z level fall will not hurt anything.

Conversely, if you want to hurt things, put the grates at about 20 Z levels below the walkway.
Pages: [1] 2