Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bentgirder: a stepping stone for new players  (Read 7884 times)

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Bentgirder: a stepping stone for new players
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 06:43:43 pm »

Thanks for your input, everyone.

I intend to use 31.04, but I might wait until 31.05, since Toady said it will be out soon.

In the interest of keeping things simple, I wanted to keep most of the dwarves to one or two main skills each. This probably means no metal industry until the migrants show up. Then again, having a novice Butcher might be a good additional skill. I would like to have an extra miner, but where would I squeeze that in?

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 07:34:42 pm »

Mining is really easy to train. I never embark with trained miners, I just supply 6 copper picks and enable the mining labor. The skill progresses so quickly anyways, plus novice miners leave behind less stone clutter in your early fortress.

I'd leave one skilled miner and just have extra picks to introduce the new players to the concept of assigning labor.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 04:44:57 pm »

I'd leave one skilled miner and just have extra picks to introduce the new players to the concept of assigning labor.

That's a good idea. Changing labor assignments is something I'd have to include in the tutorial anyway.

nnn

• Bay Watcher
  • There is a hole in your mind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 08:19:43 pm »

Also might want to include a few snapshot saves at various points of really interesting stuff, like a wind powered magma fountain or an obsidian generator.
Prancer McPony has created Sparkleleaf, an iron horseshoe!  All craftsponyship is of the highest quality.  On the item is an image of DerpyHooves in microcline.  DerpyHooves is derping.  On the item is an image of a cupcake in iron.  On the item is an image of Sparkleleaf, the iron horseshoe, in bronze.

I See the Moon

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 09:32:39 am »

I'd be careful not to make it too safe and boring. Turning off invasions would make it pretty lame.

I agree, and would say the same about a lot of the other suggestions. That stage of learning the game by having stuff go wrong is really fun.

I do think that pre-selecting an embark site and skill/supply allotment is a good idea, though. Basically get people playing as quickly as possible and if they like it then they will tear through the wiki on their own.

Also would not worry about graphics and whatnot. In my experience wrapping your head around how the 3D world is represented in 2D is a way bigger challenge then learning that a theta is a bed. Actually, having people play with Stone Sense (is that the one? The isometric view where you can see the terrain?) from the start might not be a bad idea.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 10:20:24 am »

Mining is really easy to train. I never embark with trained miners, I just supply 6 copper picks and enable the mining labor. The skill progresses so quickly anyways, plus novice miners leave behind less stone clutter in your early fortress.

Hmm yeah, it's a good tutorial point and newbies won't care about what gets left behind from mining either way. Having the contrast of a skilled and unskilled miner is also helpful - shows them the difference in speed and 'clutter' left behind. Personally, I insist on having high skilled miners on embark as it's that much less wait before I can tell them to dig out gems and ore - I know they're in abundance now but I'm still protective of my precious dig sites which no unskilled miner should be allowed near.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 03:13:15 pm »

Dwarf Fortress 0.31.05 is out! Time to get this party started.

What about utilities? Tps12 mentioned Stone Sense. I was thinking of bundling in Dwarf Therapist. Or should I just mention these things in the tutorial?

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 05:55:18 pm »

throw Dwarf Therapist in

no one wants to mircomanage 200 dwarfs at once

and no , viewing utilities do nothing except give you a cool review of your fortress

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 03:49:54 pm »

The save is ready.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2645

Please, check it out and let me know what you think. So far it seems like a great place to start a fort. It has loads of trees, a brook, and no aquifer.  I haven't played it enough to know what metals are on the map, but I hit some lignite, right under the wagon.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 05:16:05 pm »

lignite probably means alot of iron ores, and bitinimious coal
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Phreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 10:21:59 pm »

I use mike mayday/may greens graphic mod as it's the easiest to understand and he updated it to the currant dwarf fortress updates. For embark you will want to increase the embark points for new players so that they have an easier time (only for noobs) you could even pick out a place for them? A place with flux metal, plants trees and maybe a river/brook, also a place that's good or joyous would be nice for people who want to have an easy first time, or you could drop them on a haunted embark spot for FUN. Try using medium region as well. Oh and dwarf therapist is very useful.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2010, 05:51:59 pm »

I almost forgot:

Should I put my tutorial on magmawiki, or would a downloadable format be better? I'm leaning towards the wiki, since it's the best resource around for DF players.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2010, 06:05:08 pm »

Put a link to the downloadable content on magmawiki :P

that's my idea anyways.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2010, 10:15:10 pm »

It lives. 

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Bentgirder

I love feedback. Tell me what you think of it so far, either here or on the wiki's talk page.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2010, 05:40:36 pm »

Just patched up the FAQs section a bit.
くコ:彡
Pages: 1 [2] 3