Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: No such thing as plate mail  (Read 6514 times)

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
Re: No such thing as plate mail
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »

quote:
No. While in fact, it is a lot of pieces, they simply make up the full suit. They are large, usually full limb-size shaped pieces of metal, not individual "armor shards", and their composition like this was only because there was no other way to put the armor on but to assemble it on yourself piece by piece.

Exactly. That's why I said they are numerous pieces of plates strapped on the boddy.  :p
I am on a hot streak... literally.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2008, 06:12:00 am »

Generally speaking, plate armour does not completely enclose the body, except for rare or very late period suits.  Most ordinary plate armour has numerous gaps, generally at the joints.
There are also areas where the plate designer may trade flexibility and form-fitting for protection; for instance, gauntlets may have individually articulated fingers, or they may have a single-piece "mitten" covering the whole of the back of the hand, and leave the underside of the fingers bare.  
Someone wearing a suit of plate will almost always need to use some form of padding or protection underneath it.

Look at this Gothic knight; contrast with this from a couple of hundred years earlier.  The earlier knight is wearing nearly all chainmail with a plate helm; the later knight is wearing nearly all plate, but will have segments of mail underneath in some areas where the plates do not cover or need to articulate.

Speaking broadly, European armour went from all-chain to all-plate, but it took several hundred years, and developments happened in parallel across the whole continent.  Most of the time someone wearing plate would also be wearing some chainmail, so plate-mail is as good a name as any for the combination.

[ February 13, 2008: Message edited by: John Johnston ]

Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2008, 08:49:00 am »

EoF, if maille was indeed as superior as you say, why did armour fashion move from maille to plate?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2008, 11:02:00 am »

Maille is not superior to plate mail for defense. It is simply lighter, easier to produce and easier to handle.

The main reason maille was becomming more and more unpopular was because of the coming of advanced weapons such as longbows and especially crossbows which usually have very fine points. Such bolts will go thru chainmail like if you were not wearing anything, and the stronger bows usually can punch thru chainmail link. Plate mail at the very least will slow the bolt down, even though heavy crossbows were able to punch thru even plate mail easily.

All this happened over a very, very long period of time. At the very beginning of chainmail history, thick chainmail shirts were known to be worn by nobility to protect themselves from treacherous dagger attacks... After a while, weaponsmithing been rafined and they were able to produce way thinner daggers which were able to go thru the links of a chainmail easily. It's all a wheel which never stoped turning in fact.

I'll post here when my chainmail will be completed if it's really that cumbersome or not. Nothing like RL experience.  :)

May take a while though...

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »

GAAAAAAAAAH, so many misconceptions!

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>Because if we named every item in the (or ANY) game by it's original and historical names, it'd look like a foreign language dictionary with graphics.</STRONG>

Whats wrong with that? Would you rather have to read "Masterwork Bronze Metal High Boots" Instead of "Masterwork Bronze Sabatons"? Names for armour components are like ASCII. Once you know the capital D is a dragon you never forget. Using the proper name would allow us to maintain realism and cut down on the room we need to display these long names.

And I don't see why foreign language is such a problem seeing as 98% of all DF players had to look up Tetrahedrite on wikipedia.

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
<STRONG>What the hell is studded leather armor?  I've always envisioned leather armor with little metal rivets in it that, while decorative, doesn't exactly make for better armor.</STRONG>

If the rivets are "little" and rounded then they are probably used to hold something onto the inside of the armour and thus, brigandine.

Real studded leather armour uses much larger studs, generally a pyramid in shape. They make for better armour because weapon blows will deflect off the studs and hit with just a little less force. When your armour is made of leather, every bit counts. Its like wacking the sidewalk with a sledgehammer, its not going to have the same impact if you hit a traffic cone first.

---

From now on can we simply stop using the terms chainmail and platemail? Both are simply products of DnD nerds who were too lazy to use the full words and assumed that tacking "mail" only a word made it a type of armour. It doesn't.

Chainmail is actually called "mail" or "maille if you want to get fancy. The reason it was so good as armour was because it made the user nearly impossible to cut. It did not protect at all against crushing damage and a good sword blow could still break bones. However this is exactly what they wanted. Even a small cut could get infected and the healing tech of the time did not yet understand how bacteria worked. Broken bones on the other hand could be dealt with using a good degree of skill.

Maille armour is extremely cumbersome. All of its weight hangs off the highest point, which for a full suit is usually the shoulders and waist. Thats constant weight. A full shirt of mail links including sleeves can easily top 60 pounds. Add pants and it weight even more than that.

Eagle, I don't know what you are making your mail shirt out of but I would hazard a guess at european 4in1 using 16 gauge wire. Thats the standard nowadays for constume and SCA armour. Whatever your vest ends up weighing, its going to be a lot less cumbersome than what they used way back when. Your rings will be butted, whereas the old ones were welded or riveted. The wire you get will be round in cross section where the old wire was thicker and D shaped. High temper spring steel is nothing like what they used back then. The closest we can get to now is mild steel, which is heavier, weaker and rusts like you wouldn't believe.

Anyway.

Plate armour is armour composed of interlocking plates strapped all over the body, period end. No matter what you wear with it, it always remains plate armour. Its use came about when armour requirements went up. Specifically when missile weapons got good enough to threaten the highest quality mail armour.

Plate armour is almost invulnerable to missiles. I know you have all seen movies where the arrow goes right through but in reality that doesn't happen with bows and the lesser crossbows. Using a typical broadhead you can punch through a flat steel plate using a good longbow with ease. But the key word there was "flat". Good plate armour is curved and if your smart you will avoid having doohickies like spikes that stop and catch the points of weapons.

Armour piercing arrowheads are another matter. There are various types, but the "iconic" example would be the needle bodkin. You can find a couple pictures here and there on the internet. These were much better at penetrating plate armour and go through maille like butter. But they still require direct hits in order to be effective. Knights in the field were very rarely killed before the horses they rode on.

There are common myths about an arrow going right through a plate armoured knight and retaining enough force to kill his horse. Another populat variation is an arrow pinning both legs of the knight to his saddle. If were talking about longbows this is impossible. The only thing at the time with that kind of power was the steel limbed Arbalest. The draw weights on such "siege" crossbows topped out at more than 500lbs. In comparison the strongest english longbows are estimated to be at the 180lb range.

---

Okay history lesson over. The fact is that chainmail and platemail are words of convenience and should be swapped with the real thing. HOWEVER! We can not do so until the armour system has been expanded to include things like full plate armour and all the components therein. Until then, Cuirasse, meaning a breastplate + back plate, is the most accurate name to replace plate mail. Chainmail is best named as "maille" seeing as DF is somewhat medieval in nature.

happy?

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2008, 06:26:00 pm »

Alright, objective truth established.

Let's discuss the probable names and characteristics of applicable personal armor made of carbon fibers and composite materials.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2008, 06:56:00 pm »

That was a great post Tamren.

quote:
Eagle, I don't know what you are making your mail shirt out of but I would hazard a guess at european 4in1 using 16 gauge wire. Thats the standard nowadays for constume and SCA armour. Whatever your vest ends up weighing, its going to be a lot less cumbersome than what they used way back when. Your rings will be butted, whereas the old ones were welded or riveted. The wire you get will be round in cross section where the old wire was thicker and D shaped. High temper spring steel is nothing like what they used back then. The closest we can get to now is mild steel, which is heavier, weaker and rusts like you wouldn't believe.

I am making my chainmail from 14 gage 1/4 inch of galvanized steel. I don't know about the "standards of SCA", but I am not making a chainmail for a reenactment but for a live event in which I plan to fight with the chainmail all the time, with foam weapons and the like. I think that you can refer to that as a LARP, in english terms. You were correct in assuming, however, that I am using the standard 4in1 european desing.

I expect my shirt to weight between 20 and 25 pounds once it is finished. Which I think is pretty much around the estimated weight of a real maille shirt if I'm not mistaken. Maybe you know more about this than me, your explanation lead me to beleive your knowledge on the matter is greater than mine.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2008, 09:53:00 pm »

Really good thread on armour (in the nit-picking spirit, I prefer the word "armour" over "armor", because to me, it has just a little bit more romantic sound, and also, Armor=tanks).

If I were quantifying armor types in any medieval-based game, I'd use the following names/types in order of relative strength:

Boiled Leather: (Thick leather, boiled in wax to toughen it, leather cap)
Brigandine: (mishmash of soft leather, hard leather, maille, and metal studs)
Haubergeon: (maille shirt, coiffe, and gloves)
Chainmaille: (classic maille suit, from head to toe, with some double layers in vulnerable spots)
Breastplate: (half-armour, featuring a big, form-fitting metal plate, with shoulder protection and studded leather straps hanging down to protect the knees/legs, and a metal helmet.)
Scalemaille: (hundreds of small overlapping "scales" of metal, sewn onto a leather backing, covering the upper body and shoulders, and stretching down into a kilt)
Splintmaille: (Any more or less equal combination of metal plates and layers of maille, covering most of the body.)
Gothic Plate: (Reticulated suit of custom plate armour, completely enclosing the body, head, and limbs, and allowing for complete freedom of movement.)

Doesn't have to be perfectly historically accurate, but gives a nice range of types, distinguishes one from another, and has a logical order of progression, in terms of skill to create, protection, and cost.

For they would be your masters.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2008, 10:29:00 pm »

That indeed was an epic post Tamren.  Or should I say... Legendary?

Also, I like the armor list badger.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2008, 11:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire:
<STRONG>I am making my chainmail from 14 gage 1/4 inch of galvanized steel. I don't know about the "standards of SCA", but I am not making a chainmail for a reenactment but for a live event in which I plan to fight with the chainmail all the time, with foam weapons and the like. I think that you can refer to that as a LARP, in english terms. You were correct in assuming, however, that I am using the standard 4in1 european desing.

I expect my shirt to weight between 20 and 25 pounds once it is finished. Which I think is pretty much around the estimated weight of a real maille shirt if I'm not mistaken. Maybe you know more about this than me, your explanation lead me to beleive your knowledge on the matter is greater than mine.</STRONG>

I do maillemaking as a hobby, so that technically makes me an armourer. But most of the stuff I make is decorative or has another use. The latest being a pair of pois. Anyhow, foam swords eh? You might as well go with aluminum then seeing as its about 1/3 the weight of steel. But galvie will work just fine. The weight of your shirt will be considerable. How long does it reach down the torso and are you including sleeves?

"SCA" standard just means its good enough to stop a real sword in SCA combat. Which is the closest thing to real you will find nowadays. Maille without a tight enough weave or made of a weak material like copper or aluminium is considered "costume" or "decorative" strength.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2008, 09:27:00 pm »

quote:
SirHoneyBadger:
Really good thread on armour (in the nit-picking spirit, I prefer the word "armour" over "armor", because to me, it has just a little bit more romantic sound, and also, Armor=tanks).

Since we are in the nitpick thread of all time, I just though I would mention that the word is spelled armour in English. American, a language derived from English, spells it Armor. I speak English therefore armour=Tanks, armour=Chainmail, armour=kevlar etc.

Not to be confused with Amour, which is different again.

Now if only i could get a spellchecker that wasn't made in the US

A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2008, 08:17:00 pm »

Thanks Puzzlemaker!

Drunken: I appreciate the distinction, and the nitpick  :) but in this case, I wasn't going so much for exactitude, as for distinctions and a bit of "artistic expression", if you will-and in this case, "Armour" just sounds better and more authentic to me, regardless of the realities.

For they would be your masters.

Fenrir

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2008, 08:42:00 pm »

Tamren, Legendary Armorer, must make a realistic armor mod! I would never play DF without it, being the nitpicky type.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2008, 10:24:00 pm »

Most of my knowledge comes from reading a lot. So I could suggest whole books worth of things we can do to improve the armour system and combat in general. But we will have to wait for Toady to get around to the combat arc first.

Untill then, the best we can do is swap the names with thier period authentic counterparts.

Fenrir

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2008, 10:24:00 pm »

Then do so immediately!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5