Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: No such thing as plate mail  (Read 6512 times)

curseman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
No such thing as plate mail
« on: February 06, 2008, 10:23:00 pm »

I realize this is really nitpicky but... plate mail is a misnomer.  "Maille" is something made of small, linked metal rings.  Plate is a solid sheet of something.  It's a contradiction.  I'd much prefer it if it were written in DF as plate armor or something to that effect instead.

Again, I know it's just nitpicking over a small detail, and it probably looks bad to have this as a first post, but it's just one of those things that bother me, and it happens all the time.

With that said though, Dwarf Fortress is a really impressive game, and I have to commend the author on his dedication and creativity he's shown in making it.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No such thing as plate mail
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 10:45:00 pm »

Unless you have plate armor over mail under-armor, which was a common practice.

Edit:  Or   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plated_mail

[ February 06, 2008: Message edited by: Puzzlemaker ]

[ February 06, 2008: Message edited by: Puzzlemaker ]

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 10:53:00 pm »

Technically, the type of armor used by the ancient Chinese is closer to a type of plate mail. It's basically a bunch of small, one inch square plates held together by rings in the corners.

EDIT: Puzzle beat me to it.

[ February 06, 2008: Message edited by: Impending Doom ]

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 11:23:00 pm »

Hell, when I joined another game forum a while back, my first act was to PM the dev team informing them that one of the weapons in their game(mod) was mislabeled as a "bearded axe", when it was a wedge axe.

Not that they did anything, of course, but you're not the only one to make a nitpicky correction as a first forum act.

In addition, welcome to DF and its forums!  Enjoy your stay amongst the keepers of this bastion.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 11:44:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:58:41 pm by penguinofhonor »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 02:03:00 am »

No such thing as goblins either but what'cha gonna do?    :p

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 03:27:00 am »

I once witnessed a multi-page debate over whether a "double-sided lance" should be called a "Godentag", since the only historical example of the former was the latter.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 06:49:00 am »

"Good day"?  

"CHARGE!  HAVE A GOOD DAY, YOU FIEND!" *splitch*

Okay, okay.  So it's not "good day", but it looks close enough to make the crack.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 09:09:00 am »

Would you like splinters with that?
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

veryinky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 03:15:00 pm »

There's no one thing in DF as platemail. There's plate armor and chainmail. You can layer plate armor over chainmail to create "Plate and Mail", which is historical.

Set the dwarf to chainmail. He'll put on a helmet, chainmail, gauntlets, boots, leggings. Set the dwarf to plate armor, he'll add a plate armor to the chest and wear greaves. Tada. Plate and mail. Shortened to platemail.

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by veryinky:
<STRONG>There's no one thing in DF as platemail. There's plate armor and chainmail. You can layer plate armor over chainmail to create "Plate and Mail", which is historical.</STRONG>

I'm not saying that I agree with the OP, as it's a pointless nitpick overshadowed by decades of D&D.  But there's definitely something called plate mail in the game.

Fenrir

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

I don't think this is nitpicky. Why can't we have accurately named armor?

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 05:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>I don't think this is nitpicky. Why can't we have accurately named armor?</STRONG>

and wtf is with all those dwarves and elves? i think i even saw spotted some goblins    ;)

[ February 07, 2008: Message edited by: Lord Snow ]

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>I don't think this is nitpicky. Why can't we have accurately named armor?</STRONG>

Because if we named every item in the (or ANY) game by it's original and historical names, it'd look like a foreign language dictionary with graphics.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Fenrir

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 06:12:00 pm »

Dwarfs and elves have a historical background as well, and they too are inaccurately represented in the game.

and, ummm...

I forget where I was going with this. Anyway, it's not a major issue true, but the OP has a point. We can all easily edit the name to suit our own tastes, so it doesn't really matter.

Oh, wait, I think I just stated that it is nitpicky...

Nevermind, I obviously can't think straight right now.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5