Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: the human diplomat is a WHAT?!?  (Read 3147 times)

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
the human diplomat is a WHAT?!?
« on: June 01, 2010, 11:12:54 am »

so... this flashing light blue & showed up at the map edge.... its the law-giver for the human civilization. its their only leader.

Desmo Uzundemo On Okal
a great feathered monitor twisted into humanoid form. it squirms and fidgets. its sky-blue feathers are fulled-out. beware its poisonous gas! (it is short and muscular).

so, hes just sitting in my trade depot now, listed as a diplomat. im... not sure what to do about this. heck, im only now figuring out how to get my dwarves to behave properly in this new version as it is. he and the human caravan showed up just in time to kill a goblin ambush (my first goblin ambush in the new version).

this is the second big nasty to show up- the first was on a lower level, and died fighting a hostile tribe of fish-people (the survivor who killed it has become friendly, with a red spine).

edit- he just destroyed a door next to the trade depot. this is weird- diplomat building destroyer.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 11:15:46 am by Captain Xenon »

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: the human diplomat is a WHAT?!?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 11:21:42 am »

sounds to me like your human civ has emrbaced its demon overlords with open arms.

zergl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 11:27:06 am »

edit- he just destroyed a door next to the trade depot. this is weird- diplomat building destroyer.

And a known bug. While it is said to be intended behavior for the non-dorf civs to have off-race diplomats they can currently be bugged to still have their BUILDING_DESTROYER:2 tag active so they just run through your fort toppling buildings left, right and center instead of meeting with your chief dorf.

Time for a cave-in "accident", tbh.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 11:29:38 am »

well, he is refusing to meet, and sitting in the trade depot...

i figure i may as well deconstruct the depot, and build a 'special' one. hopefully he will move into it.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 11:34:05 am »

I got one of these in my last fort, I ended up walling them in and then flooding the room with water, which didn't do a damn thing. :D

For the next fort I'm building several sections of stone floors 1 z level up, each supported by a pillar, so that when one of these stupid things comes by next time they will knock down the pillar and kill themselves rather than bother me.

If you need to trap them, the one I got seemed to like traction benches but was unable to destroy it, so he went and stood next to it instead. This might be handy in catching them.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 11:53:29 am »

Make a cave-in happen near some cage traps. With luck, he'll get knocked out and then trigger a trap, and hey presto - Leader-in-a-jar.

fireface

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 01:51:33 am »

Same thing happened to me: a giant humanoid squirrel for the human diplomat. Knocked over loads of doors and constructions-in-progress. I tried drowning him, but that did nothing, so I caved the roof in on him, and the next season got a human siege.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 01:56:24 am »

Lovecraft's stories wouldn't have been nearly as disturbing if he just came out and admitted all Cthulu wanted to eat was doors and trade agreements.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 03:26:55 am »

this glitch/bug gave me my sig, so it cant be all that bad.
This is a blank sig.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 08:03:23 pm »

Yes, the law-giver that came to me saved my hide a few times when titans/dragons showed up.  But he was no match for 20 goblins at once.  Then the humans began sieging after he was killed.  Before his death though, he healed incredibly quickly. 

Well I ended up with Toileteroo's Demonic Goo on all his clothes that I sold (since they were a size larger than the dwarfs could comfortably wear), but.. well the bronze weapons the humans brought were handy as well since I didn't have a much steel at the time, too.

Ultimately though I had to abandon that fort because I hadn't quite discovered the INVADERS:NO tag yet.  Siege after siege and then ambushes and titans and dragons.  I couldn't pick up the loot fast enough or reset traps fast enough or train replacement military fast enough.  The waves of invaders just kept coming...  and I hadn't even breached the caverns yet.
igless

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 08:15:23 am »

[SPEED:1]
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 12:02:29 pm »

Toady has also said that in the future he intends to make humans a little more xenophobic. They'll tolerate dwarves and elves, but they'll be a little suspicious of creatures of the deep/demons/megabeasts. But that's the endgame.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 03:15:28 pm »

How else will the humans impress us if they can't send demonic lizards as their trading agents?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 03:33:00 am »

How else will the humans impress us if they can't send demonic lizards as their trading agents?

By Reaching The Stuff On High Shelves.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 11:58:16 am »

i had one of these, he hung round until a goblin ambush and then died defending my fort
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.
Pages: [1] 2