Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: You know the multiple mayors bug? Here's a fix  (Read 1801 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You know the multiple mayors bug? Here's a fix
« on: June 01, 2010, 12:53:50 am »

So, I worked around the multiple mayors bug by modifying the entity_default file, and removing the [elected] tag, and adding an [appointed_by:broker] tag. Basically, if your mayor dies, fear not. appoint another via your broker, and the nobles screen is restored. Admittedly, this does make the game a little easier, but its nice not to have 10 equally enforceable mandates :D

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You know the multiple mayors bug? Here's a fix
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 01:46:33 am »

The drawback to this method is that if both your mayor and your broker have an unfortunate accident, then you're stuck.

While you could do this if, say, you made the mayor appointed by a bookkeeper and then sealed off the bookkeeper into a self contained vault for the rest of time, if something happens to both nobles at the same time there is no way to recover.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 02:08:17 am »

right... but unless they die in the exact same frame, you can just appoint another. Mayor appoints broker, broker appoints mayor. now if you don't have a broker by 50 dwarves, you deserve to lose your nobles screen. ;)

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 02:52:00 am »

right... but unless they die in the exact same frame, you can just appoint another. Mayor appoints broker, broker appoints mayor. now if you don't have a broker by 50 dwarves, you deserve to lose your nobles screen. ;)

Better to use MILITIA_COMMANDER as the appointer as I mentioned in the modding forum:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57409.msg1256933#msg1256933

Works even if you have no nobles at all, because you can create militia commanders from the military screen at any time.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:02:20 am by ItchyBeard »

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 03:18:49 am »

The multiple mayor thing just happened to me today.

Is there a way to fix this with an existing fort?  Will the second mayor go away, or do I have to live with two mayors for the time being?
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 04:31:56 am »

I took the militia commander option since he's appointable via mil screen, but it does require a regen.  I think it's due to how the engine processes historical events since some of the higher nobles show up there.

I'm not aware of any workable fixes for an in-progress fort, I tried everything I could on mine with no luck.  Ended up just ditching it and restarting, gave me a chance to fix some glaring design problems as well.

nnn

• Bay Watcher
  • There is a hole in your mind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 05:35:21 am »

Oooh, ooh! Here's another fix!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:D
Prancer McPony has created Sparkleleaf, an iron horseshoe!  All craftsponyship is of the highest quality.  On the item is an image of DerpyHooves in microcline.  DerpyHooves is derping.  On the item is an image of a cupcake in iron.  On the item is an image of Sparkleleaf, the iron horseshoe, in bronze.

I See the Moon

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 05:49:15 am »

Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

zergl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 06:49:57 am »

Apart from that it works perfectly fine.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 12:20:47 pm »

The multiple mayor thing just happened to me today.

Is there a way to fix this with an existing fort?  Will the second mayor go away, or do I have to live with two mayors for the time being?

It is possible that you might be able to gen a new world, and then copy all of the save file, except the raws, into it. haven't tested this yet, however...

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 07:44:43 pm »

Inclined to think that wouldn't work as the noble heirarchy is clearly hardcoded in somewhere else.  It might be possible to uncompress the save and find and edit the relevant stuff, but I'm not familiar enough with that to say for sure.  And as such a save apparently eats up half a gig and isn't reversible, it's not high on my list of things to try...

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 08:28:19 am »

Noble positions are in the entity_default raw.  You can edit it to your hearts content.  However all entity mods require a world gen to take effect.  Nothing you can do to change that.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Motive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 07:22:04 pm »

Apart from that it works perfectly fine.

yeah i locked one of my duplicate mayors in his room untill he died and i've gone 2 years now without an election.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 04:31:16 am »

When I saw the title I thought it would be about mass murder, magma and torturing elves
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 11:41:54 am »

i just got a double-mayor in my current fort. its an odd sort of thing to be sure. but only one shows up on the noble screen to make demands.
Pages: [1] 2