Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: happy fun time with poison traps  (Read 1378 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
happy fun time with poison traps
« on: May 31, 2010, 04:07:30 pm »

So I was reading the df talk and noticed toady mentioned it should be possible to make a poisonous trap, in which you drop (or dump) a vile full of poison into magma and then enemies inhale the gas, my plan is to make a gas chamber that weakens an enemy army

"So the pieces are in place now to make poisons, but you wouldn't be able to do anything with them unless you somehow found a way to get the poison out of the container ... which you could do, if you find a way to heat the thing up, like dropping it in magma and then it turns into a gas you could have creatures nearby inhale. So you could actually set up some kind of poison gas traps"

as it stands I cant see a way to do this apart from having a creature listed in http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Syndrome, to be drooped into magma or near invaders.  any suggestion how to actually create a poisonous gas trap would be appreciated.

slightly off topic,
  I have heard a lot about demon leaders having poisonous blood that cause problems if dwarfs walk over it.  now I know its not possible to poison a weapon manually but is it possible to create a garbage zone over the demon blood and have all your weapons dumped onto the poison?  can this effect bolts?  If a weapon has a contact poison on it do dwarfs get poisoned when picking it up (even with plate gloves)?

secondly what is the effect of a poisoned weapon that touches (ie in the same bin) as a non poisoned weapon
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
Re: happy fun time with poison traps
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 04:28:28 pm »

About the only way I can imagine creating a poisonous gas would to use a custom smelter reaction that turned the poison into a stone with similar properties to coal then dropping it into magma. This should create the desired result.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 04:36:08 pm »

I believe you can import vials of extracts from, say, giant scorpions.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 04:47:58 pm »

There was a long discussion with a modder on some thread about 2 weeks ago about applying poison to weapons. Short answer: can't be done yet. Long answer: there was talk of modding in some domestic blob that constantly spews out poison vapour or such that's harmless unless a dwarf with a cut happens to walk by as it only acts inside the bloodstream.

Now just creating a poison cloud with magma, that I don't know. Should be easy enough with magma and a dump (retractable bridge) of sorts I guess.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 04:54:33 pm »

Check the "Chemical Warfare" thread in Modding, we go over some of the peculiarities of poison in there, as well as a couple potential methods of usage.

There's another thread that I think is also in Modding, but I can't remember what it's called...  "Poison Weapons" or "Poison Metal" or something like that...  Touches on a couple ideas that aren't covered in the Chemical Warfare thread.

I must admit that I haven't actually tried boiling poisonous stones or extracts.  If there aren't any issues with boiling stuff in magma, it should work relatively well to just dump something in (provided it has properly set temperature values).  If it's an extract, you could even use a magma-safe container, since I believe container contents are properly affected by outside temperature.

But as for native DF?  Well...  I think most of the poisons that show up there are too fragile to be dumped straight into magma, they'd just deteriorate.  It might be possible, and you could just drop a glass flask into some magma and see if the contents evaporate...  But you'd need something that worked through inhalation or contact in order for it to work, and I don't think there's anything readily accessible that works that way (giant spiders and scorpions are both injected venoms).

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 05:01:13 pm »

what about dumping weapons onto a tile that has poisonous blood?
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 07:47:33 pm »

I answered your question in the other thread, where it had also been answered before.

Dropping an item into a pool of blood does nothing.  Dropping a pool of blood onto an item also does nothing.  Dropping an item into a pool of blood, dropping a pool of blood on top of that item, and then walking back and forth on top of the item to smear things around also doesn't do anything.

It might be possible to coat something if you grab it and then crawl through a pool of blood on your hands and knees.  Don't think I've tested this.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 08:37:14 pm »

Lower the evaporation temperature of zinc. I did zinc gas traps in 40d.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 10:06:44 pm »

Coating a weapon with blood is easy enough in Adventure Mode...
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 10:15:49 pm »

By slashing someone with it, yes.  Not by dropping it in a pool of preexisting blood, or by throwing blood on top of it.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 10:18:14 pm »

Will a blood-coated weapon stay blood-coated if an adventurer dies underground and the fort he died in is reclaimed?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 10:31:21 pm »

Maybe...  I'd doubt it, but it could be possible.  In any case, good luck finding the damn thing.  The stocks screen can only get you so far.

If it happens to wind up in the water, however, then of course it will get washed clean.  Otherwise...  I don't know.  Could be worth looking into, but I do seriously doubt that contaminants are carried over between map loads.

Chris

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 12:54:05 am »

Would it be possible to utilize the warm stone property of tiles near magma to heat a specially created low-vapor point poison? Make a poison which vaporizes at somewhere near the warm stone temperature and then function it by releasing magma under it or into a side tunnel? Does stone take time to warm up and will it continue to vaporize for any length of time?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 01:22:32 am »

That was brought up in the Chemical Warfare thread.  We've gone over a couple possibilities, but new opinions are always welcome.