Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How long has your fort lasted  (Read 4739 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How long has your fort lasted
« on: May 31, 2010, 02:36:07 pm »

Just wondering, about how long do your forts last? I'm ashamed to say my longest lasting was 5 game years, as the goblins got in through an unfinished surface construction...

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How long has your fort lasted
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 02:39:53 pm »

My longest lasting was about 20... 25 years? It was a 40d aboveground fortress made entirely of wood. The legendary wrestlers could punch goblins across the map, which actually got rather inconvenient as I needed to harvest them for goblinite. It also showed the benefits of idlers in 40d, as the children were so strong that one ripped a snatcher's head off.

It eventually died FPS death.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 03:06:52 pm »

I had one go on for 11 years before I got bored of it.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 03:08:55 pm »

Generally until I want to do something different...the last time, it was going on 6 years before an unkillable bronze colossus showed up and I had zero interest in screwing around with a cave-in or something like that, so I abandoned.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 03:32:17 pm »

Same as everyone else.  My longest lasting one was that which kept me entertained the longest. 
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Fredson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 03:32:48 pm »

My longest lasted about 45 years. Turned invasion on the first time after about 40 years of ridiculous constructions and endless sparring. My 3 special "hero" soldiers could kill an entire goblin siege singlehandedly. Their stats exceeded everything i've ever seen... and thus it became booooooring. Just no challenges beside even bigger constructions. The last ones were a half-z-level treefarm and a watertower which was so high, the whole treefarm got nearly insta-flooded when opening the floodgates. There is just no long time motivation in DF when you already did most of the things possible.

EDIT: Did I mention it was a no immigration fortress? Population reached about 90 in the end (grow-up-age modded to 6).

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 04:00:31 pm »

My oldest fort is currently 51 years old. It has five inhabitants left now, after a siege I let into the fortress took out the other 138 or so.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 05:05:50 pm »

Longest lasting fort I ever had was around 10-11 years. Most of my forts die out due to boredom or low fps between 3-5 years. One of these days I'll get a fort to last 100 years..one of these days...
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 05:53:58 pm »

In the 2d version I had a fort that lasted some 25 - 30 years or so, before I dug too deeply to end it.

Since then I think my longest was around 15 years, and I only ran it that long trying to test various things like stat gain (or the lack thereof). 40d had no real challenges and .01+ has too many bugs and slowdowns so neither is really good for a huge long lasting fort.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 12:56:42 am »

My latest fort fell after 4 years.

A woodcutter went on a tantrum and cut my depressed axe lord's dog in half, and you know how it goes from there.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 01:52:44 am »

40-50 years. I generally get distracted after that and want to build something different.

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 02:04:11 am »

My longest fort lasted about a month short of two years.

docawesome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 02:13:09 am »

I had a 30 year one where I made a small 1x2 tomb for my dead and that almost ended up taking all of one level by itself.  it met its end in a tantrum spiral and finished off by a goblin attack.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 02:22:24 am »

Just wondering, about how long do your forts last? I'm ashamed to say my longest lasting was 5 game years, as the goblins got in through an unfinished surface construction...

forts normally last indefinately for me, until the fps gets horrible or i get bored. normally the first. i normally try to make my forts in the same world, so i have a few if i want to try adventure mode.

in 40d once i reach a certain "critical mass" my fort tends to be undestroyable. my first huge fort had several near show stoppers once i got past that critical mass, which was accidentally digging into a high pressure water pipe with a massive resovoir (good drainage planning ment it could all flow through without drowning too many dwarves) second near fort end was accidentally causing a cavein down my chasm, taking out a half dozen bridges packed with dwarves that were carting ore back and forth. several much loved dwarves died, which was tough.

final near showstopper was taking on the hfs. all my noble tombs were in the adamantium veins, and were very full of items and remains. the hfs smashed all those up and half my fort went to go pick up the liberated items. in adition all the tame cats were in the area hunting spiders, so their loss along with literally half of a 130 dwarf population also caused tremendous unhappiness and tantrums, but was still surviveable. without the excitement i would probably have gotten bored of playing for so long.

im yet to find out the survivability time for the new version, though. tougher goblins, titans and the underground are all new. i havent played nearly as much of it though because the slowness on my old computer is nearly unbearable, and breaching the new HFS brings things pretty much to a halt.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 02:27:30 am »

honestly about 3 years is my longest.  Can't stand a long fort, so I make literally impossible scenarios.
Pages: [1] 2