Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How long has your fort lasted  (Read 4737 times)

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How long has your fort lasted
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 06:00:24 am »

So far only about 4-5 years. Not had an actual siege yet :| ( only been playing since 2010 came out )

Azgog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 06:46:30 am »

About 16 years. Everything was going along quite nicely until shit hit the fan and about everything that could go wrong went wrong. I guess that tends to happen in DF.
"I REQUIRE LUMBER"
"We have plenty of lumber"
".... BUT I WANT THIS KIND!"
"What kind?"
"THE KIND WHERE YOU SHUT THE HELL UP!"

Asellus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 07:37:45 am »

My longest lasting one survived for about 7 years. I really shouldn't have pulled that lever.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 01:37:46 pm »

The longest I remember is my latest, lasted 4, 4.5 years and everything was going fine.  I had bronze production chugging along with a legendary weaponsmith making weapons for traps.  I had planned to build some repeater spike traps to fight off anything trap-immune, but I hadn't gotten to that point.

And then the Beasts came...four Forgotten Beasts in one year.  First two were pushovers, the third died quickly as well, but had dust that killed all but one of my dwarf militia (they started to hemorrhage miasma as they walked away, and generally drowned about the time they reached the barracks for more sparring.  With only one dwarf left, and a make-shift militia made from my miners and wood cutters and ONE trained military dwarf, my fortress was a tasty meal for the Three-Eyed Ass and his Noxious Fumes (yup, I got an ass-monster).  I had just made Barony too.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Mordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 08:14:53 pm »

I have one fort that's 12 years in 31.03.  Its approaching FPS death and my mega tower is only so high...

Its most interesting feature is the inbred group of mountain goats living in a corner of my above ground castle.  I built a wall around a pond and a mountain goat fled to the corner between the two.  It never left, and kept having babies, incestuously after the first one, i guess.  Now there's a bunch of them.  I'd clear em out with axes but they tend to head butt things into the water to drown.  No way am i going to risk a legendary axeman on that ;)  Yeah there are others ways to deal with it, but i haven't yet.
This Forgotten Beast was delicious!

takaratiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 08:43:24 pm »

5 years in 31.03 right now, but I don't expect them to last much longer. I've been knocked down to single digit populations twice due to a skinless Pterosaur with impressive indigestion named Simo. Half the fortress is now coated in vomit and I literally cannot clean the entrance traps fast enough before the next Goblin wave attack charges over the corpses of their predecessors towards my doors. We're just waiting for the barbarians now.
Sharpen your boots, and bludgeon your eye.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 08:53:06 pm »

5 years is my longest 40d fort, lost it to a bowgoblin-induced tantrum spiral. Haven't done a 2010 fort yet.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 09:31:18 pm »

I'm currently ~18 years into my current focus - a huge drydock with a steel warship built in it. I just started making my first "batch" of pig iron - one batch equals one 20x20 stockpile full for the purposes of iron, pig iron, and coal.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 09:49:54 pm »

I had one going for 13 years, before it died of fps death.

All the forts become a challenge to separate goblin's clothes from their bodies before the next wave, and 120+ dwarves can't keep up with it, so I guess only atom-smashing or pits would work
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 10:33:23 pm »

Longest was about seven years. It got slaughtered by a 30~40 goblin seige.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 12:32:15 am »

I'm on my 12th year, with just over 200 dwarves for the first time.

Invaders is off but I've drown more than enough dorfs to make up for it.

Down to like 13fps
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

darksergio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 01:19:09 am »

two years for some reason the forgetten beasts of my world like to have ine ful dwarf snack
Clear skies with a chance of FLAMIN' RAIN!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 01:40:46 am »

For new version, currently working on 8 years.
The two previous forts in the same world didn't fare as well, both dying horribly within the first few years.

10 years seems to be a good average before I get distracted by a new version or stop playing. I think I had a 2d last 20 though.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 10:32:32 am »

In 31.03 I've gone up to about 20 years before I stopped playing.

I'm waiting for more bugs to be hammered out before committing to any long term fort or huge megaproject.
Pages: 1 [2]