Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: *SPOILERS* A waaaahh?  (Read 2056 times)

eidahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
*SPOILERS* A waaaahh?
« on: May 31, 2010, 12:27:47 pm »

I just encountered Ciwa methununore down below, a FB and.. a GIGANTIC SAUROPOD, with torquoise shells. It appears to be emaciated (oh yeah and it has !deadly blood!).

???

There are dinosaurs in DF? Uh, did I accidentally hit the center of the world?

Of course though, it somehow managed to cross the cave lake to try to take a bite out of my farmers. It was promptly struck down by a squad of axe and sword dwarves, with the loss of one dwarf who dodged into the lake.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 12:29:53 pm by eidahl »

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: *SPOILERS* A waaaahh?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 12:29:30 pm »

The FB and Demon shapes apparently have a lot of animals coded in, including some pretty obscure ones.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

eidahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 12:31:50 pm »

Only thing I can think of now is dwarves riding on the back of gigantic sauropods.. .. awesome...

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 12:33:02 pm »

Just think about it, those things are huge, The lake probably just went up to its underbelly. It wasn't even swimming at that point.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 02:24:28 pm »

well its gonna give a hell of a lot of meat once you kill it

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 02:30:10 pm »

well its gonna give a hell of a lot of meat once you kill it
deadly blood
May not want to go ahead with that...
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 02:40:10 pm »

Never had any problem with "Deadly Blood" FBs.  They butcher just fine and coat everything, but no one dies.  Of course, the reason no one coated with "Deadly Blood" might have died in my fortresses was because every beast I get with that warning is full of ichor, not blood.  Now, "Deadly Dust" or "Fire Breath" are things to worry about.  Last "Deadly Dust" one I had caused miasma to start spewing from my militia dwarves not ten steps after they killed the FB, and most managed to walk all the way back to the barracks before collapsing and dying of "drowning".  From what I understand, the dust caused my dwarfs' lungs to rot out in minutes.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 06:51:35 pm »

Only thing I can think of now is dwarves riding on the back of gigantic sauropods.. .. awesome...

This makes me think about the distant far future of DF when multi-tile objects will be possible.  You could have a 3x3 block for the body, then a 1x3 for the head and tail, making it unable to go down narrow corridors but still able to snap at things a little ways in.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 08:12:29 pm »

Never had any problem with "Deadly Blood" FBs.  They butcher just fine and coat everything, but no one dies.  Of course, the reason no one coated with "Deadly Blood" might have died in my fortresses was because every beast I get with that warning is full of ichor, not blood.  Now, "Deadly Dust" or "Fire Breath" are things to worry about.  Last "Deadly Dust" one I had caused miasma to start spewing from my militia dwarves not ten steps after they killed the FB, and most managed to walk all the way back to the barracks before collapsing and dying of "drowning".  From what I understand, the dust caused my dwarfs' lungs to rot out in minutes.

Lucky.  I had a forgotten beast with deadly blood cause an epidemic of rotting disease that killed the fort.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 08:14:01 pm »

No, it's pronounced WAAAAGGHHH!

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 10:36:27 pm »

Poor thing, his tusks look like they'd get in the way of eating you
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Vulkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 12:42:30 am »

Considering the last forgotten beast I encountered was an eyeless, mandibled, feathered magpie:

The Sauropod just kind of... fails in comparison.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 01:49:58 am »

i had a clawed pterrodactyl with deadly saliva, horns, and ribs outside its body. that one really worried me, i was making a fort underground and had not designed my defences to cope with an insane flying enemy like that. fortunately it went for my military dwarves who with a bit of a struggle managed to eventually take it down.

i got so much meat from butchering it, and have been trying to get my bonecarver to use its horns and teeth to decorate my weapons and armor, though it does not seem to work.

it gave me scales, but i havent been able to figure out if i got leather, although i had a tonne of qued leather items when it was butchered so for all i know half my fort is wearing it or storing sand in bags made of its skin. shame, i would have tried for a set of masterwork forgotten beast leather armor if i had been on my toes. and ill probably be making the 120 or so units of fat it gave me into soap, its seriously cluttering up my kitchen at the moment and dwarves are getting unhappy thoughts because all they have had to eat lately has been forgotten beast tallow biscuits. seriously, who complains about eating giant horned pterodactyl, it sounds delicious to me.

forgotten beast/titan corpses are an amazing windfall, their size means processing their remains takes ages though.

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 04:10:28 am »

A huge eyeless magpie.  It has large mandibles and it belches and croaks.  Its sky-blue feathers are fluffed-out  Beware its poisonous bite!

So I'm hella bored tonight and needed something to do, and this thread gave me inspiration.

...yeah, I'd run too.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 01:47:55 pm »

So, the list of FBs in my last fallen fort.  Please note that all of these attacks were in one year:
1)  A giant Honeyeater with an elephant's trunk (crushes one militia dwarf to death because I haven't made weapons yet/assigned an arsenal dwarf.  Hastily drafted miner gets a pick headshot)
2)  A giant emaciated, feathered slug with deadly blood.  Militia destroys it and gets ichor everywhere, no ill effects.
3)  A giant three-eyed dragonfly with deadly dust.  Crushed like the last two, but the dust cause my militia dwarves to start rotting within seconds of the battle ending.  They all drown to death en-route or inside the barracks, most likely on their own blood or rotting lungs.
4)  A giant, three-eyed ass with poisonous vapor.  Completely wipes out my sole remaining soldier and make-shift miner/woodcutter militia and kills half of the remaining workers as goblin thiefs and an ambush run into my weapon traps full of masterwork bronze axes and swords.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?
Pages: [1] 2