Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Metalsmith is oddly obsessed  (Read 1449 times)

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Metalsmith is oddly obsessed
« on: May 31, 2010, 01:55:02 am »

I don't know if this is normal in 31 or not, but my metalsmith is obsessed with Boki Fortunehorse. More specifically, the journey of the human Boki Fortunehorse to The Hill of Roaring in 605 during The Seventh Journey of the human Boki Fortunehorse. Of three statues I've had him make two were of Boki, and he just now made an artifact (silver) crossbow with an image of Boki Fortunehorse in groundhog bone.

Now if he were a dwarf hero, or a dwarf god, or some megabeast that was terrorizing the dwarfs, I could understand why he would be a popular subject for statues. But I don't understand why my metalsmith is so obsessed with a human who went to a hill 450 years ago. And apparently it is just the metalsmith, because my glassmaker has made a ton of statues, none of them depicting Boki Fortunehorse.

Legendary weaponsmith or no, if this guy builds a house outside and starts wearing large clothes I'm throwing him into the volcano

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Metalsmith is oddly obsessed
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 01:58:07 am »

Hi!

The one question I have is whether your other dwarves regularly make depictions of other historical items before the foundation of the fortress: If not, then that dwarf is the only history buff among your artistic dwarves and there is no other history in the vicinity.

You see, since your fortress is located in The Hill of Roaring, only historic events that took place in that location will be part of the imagery. And depending on what that subregion looks like, it may be that only that human ever visited it while no one else bothered.

Deathworks

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 01:58:37 am »

You'd better pull on his beard.
Sounds like a human infiltrator to me.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 02:01:10 am »

Perhaps Boki was one of the few members of human society that dwarves show respect.
Drunks

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 02:30:37 am »

The one question I have is whether your other dwarves regularly make depictions of other historical items before the foundation of the fortress: If not, then that dwarf is the only history buff among your artistic dwarves and there is no other history in the vicinity.

Like I said, the glassmaker has made several statues, none of them about anything historic. And I think the Metalsmith has the "admires tradition" trait, so I guess it stands to reason that he'd be the one recording the history of that area, even if the history was one guy showing up and saying "Nothing out here but a volcano and a bunch of groundhogs." Still, you'd think he'd make one statue and move on to images of the mayor/king/deity instead of trying to give every noble their own shrine to Boki Fortunehorse.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 02:44:48 am »

Hi!

Well, his specialty is being the fortress historian, so he is making the most of what he is best at (^_^;;

That is one of the main reasons why I always embark in huge forests with elven retreats and preferably a nearby human civ - plenty of hunting accidents and war chronicles to satisfy my historians.

You wondered whether that was new to 31.xx, but recording the history of the subregion the fortress is located in has been there for quite a while - at least in the previous 3D versions, I already made an effort to get interesting history engravings that way.

Deathworks

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 06:22:25 am »

Sometimes I gen up a world, then have an adventurer go all over the place hacking and hewing down goblins. Then I embark into the same mountain chain as the fort. Tah Dah! Awesome wall engravings.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 01:00:13 pm »

Is that the name of a mountain peak? The guy might have been a legendary mountaineer or something.

Incidentally, I once had a statuesmith produce 9/10 statues of Aphid Demons. I did not allow him to keep his job.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 01:12:01 pm by DarthCloakedDwarf »
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 02:37:50 pm »

When I next find time to actually play again, I'm going to have to select my artisans based on their value of Tradition over their Creativity and gen a world with some history.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

DangerHelvetica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 05:33:19 pm »

Boki, at The Hill of Roaring, his arms raised.

zergl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 06:28:37 pm »

Boki, at The Hill of Roaring, his arms raised.

Shaka, when the walls fell.

Wait, nvm, wrong setting. ;)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 09:43:57 pm »

Hi!

When I next find time to actually play again, I'm going to have to select my artisans based on their value of Tradition over their Creativity and gen a world with some history.

I recommend large subregions (i.e. large forests) as the important factor seems to be that it is the same name subregion and not how far things are away: So, events that happen two tiles away will be ignored if that tile is no longer in the same forest you settled in while events hundreds of tiles will be recorded because they are within the same forest. At least that is my experience.

In addition, large subregions help civs survive and make for more interesting history - and the increased number of settlements improves the diversity of goods the traders bring.

Nikov: Yes, that is definitely another very good method.

Is that the name of a mountain peak? The guy might have been a legendary mountaineer or something.

Incidentally, I once had a statuesmith produce 9/10 statues of Aphid Demons. I did not allow him to keep his job.

I doubt that it is a mountain peak, but I am not 100% sure. It seems, however, that only events that happen within the subregion proper are recorded - I don't recall ever seeing references to things happening inside forest retreats like kidnappings or thefts ever in the art, even though I regularly embark in elven forests.

And why did you remove your statuesmith? Have him produce lead statues of demons and put them around your entrance and on top of your walls: That should make your fortress pretty impressive/scary for visitors (my current fortress is not yet at the point where I want to add statues, but I already have two statues of cave spiders around my entrance).

Deathworks

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 09:49:52 pm »

And why did you remove your statuesmith? Have him produce lead statues of demons and put them around your entrance and on top of your walls: That should make your fortress pretty impressive/scary for visitors (my current fortress is not yet at the point where I want to add statues, but I already have two statues of cave spiders around my entrance).
Because aphid demons are uglier than they are scary.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 01:39:57 am »

the region specific history thing can sometimes throw up some pretty odd stuff. deathworks info about the region name now makes a lot of sense to me, and ill probably be using it to select sites in the future if im making exciting forts for my adventurers or something.

the fort that i had the most fun with to date was in 40d, where i embarked in a circle of mountains with the entire worlds goblin population living in them.

the only history stuff i got was about goblins in my artworks. in particular, one goblin hunter called gozru werecircle. miss werecircle embarked on numerous expeditions into the mountains to hunt ettins and giant eagles, returning each time with a new limb missing. i got tonnes of engravings of her having her hand bitten off by a certain eagle or other, or her foot torn off by an ettin.

her kill record was impressive, however she finally met her end 5 years before my fort was founded at the hands of the eagle who had previously removed her left upper arm and right upper leg. i was dissapointed when i got that engraving, i was hoping to get her leading a goblin siege. although this would have been silly as by the time she died she only had one stump of a leg and one hand, everything else being cut down to the hip/shoulder. why she decided on that last giant eagle hunting expedition armok knows.

history engravings give you funny things. i would totally have kept the aphid demons darthcloakeddwarf got and lined my prisons with them or something. getting a matched set of anything with df decorations is hard, unless its your mayor getting elected or something.

also, do advenure mode things appear in decorations? i embarked upon the cave where my adventurer killed a hydra, and made some 150 statues trying to get an image of it, but had to settle for a cow statue instead as my monument.