Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Equator-based maps  (Read 1881 times)

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
Equator-based maps
« on: May 30, 2010, 07:03:27 pm »

I genned a few large maps, to make the setting for an RP game me and some friends play. But, I noticed that only one side was glacial. So, here's my simple proposition: Make the hot parts in the middle and the cold parts on the ends. It'd be more realistic, as far as fantasy games go, anyways.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

EyeOfNundinate

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you remember the lost Nundinates?
    • View Profile
Re: Equator-based maps
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 08:56:56 pm »

Hey dude, other planets aren't like Earth.
Uranus' ( or was it Neptune's ) equators are in the cold regions, for example.

Now to beat around the bush; realistic, and fantasy?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:01:13 pm by EyeOfNundinate »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 10:18:09 pm »

Heh, pretty much everything is cold on Uranus.

As for the OP, I'd like to see more control in general; I'd like to be able to generate "worlds" with one, two, or no polar areas at will.  I use the scare-quotes because I'm pretty sure the reason for the current set-up is that generated worlds aren't supposed to represent an entire planet, but rather the "known world" for a given region, much like Tolkien's maps or the sort of map you could have found in Imperial Rome.

EyeOfNundinate

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you remember the lost Nundinates?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 12:11:02 am »

Heh, pretty much everything is cold on Uranus.
Some parts are warmer than others, and The equator definitely doesn't comply to the starter's rule.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 01:03:11 am »

A DF 'world' is really just a continent.   The game doesn't really support full-worlds yet.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 06:12:32 am »

I'd like to see a worldgen parameter for north, south, bipolar or apolar temperature distribution. That is, top, bottom, both, or random patches of cold and hot.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 10:11:06 am »

I'd like to see a worldgen parameter for north, south, bipolar or apolar temperature distribution. That is, top, bottom, both, or random patches of cold and hot.

That does seem like the best idea. And I know it's "fantasy" or a "chunk" of a world, doesn't mean it can't be a chunk the size of a hemisphere. (if you gen at 257x257)
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 02:02:36 pm »

World gen could use more controls in general. The number of moons and suns, temperature distribution so you can make your little chunk of the world entirely hot or cold without much variation etc

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 04:13:41 pm »

Hey dude, other planets aren't like Earth.
Uranus' ( or was it Neptune's ) equators are in the cold regions, for example.
And quite uninhabitable. Such a tipped-over planet would be barren and lifeless.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 04:42:39 pm »

Would it be interesting if one half of the world was in a permanent day and the other in a permanent night ?
I don't know whether the temperature would keep increasing or stop at a (quite hot) temperature..
And even if it was unrealistic, it could be Fun. Especially if there was a patch of alternating night and day part in the middle.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 09:18:20 pm »

Yeah, I myself would like flat temperature. It'd be nice to have continuous deserts/forests/tundras.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 11:58:32 pm »

Not that hard to do, really. Min temp, 30. Max temp, 31.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 11:14:25 am »

Not that hard to do, really. Min temp, 30. Max temp, 31.

Nope. That just effects the "noise" pattern that gets added on. There's a separate gradient that makes one side considerably colder and the other considerably warmer.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 03:55:18 pm »

Unless cloud green house effect is implemented and there are lots of clouds, I think the half and half planet would be half frozen half desert.  That is if globally changing temperature based on light is implemented.  That could be possible if an atmosphere less planet spins clockwise with the poles strait up and equal distance at all times.  The planet must also orbit at a speed where the planet spins around and has one constant side facing the star. 

noobydoo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 10:09:16 pm »

Unless cloud green house effect is implemented and there are lots of clouds, I think the half and half planet would be half frozen half desert.  That is if globally changing temperature based on light is implemented.  That could be possible if an atmosphere less planet spins clockwise with the poles strait up and equal distance at all times.  The planet must also orbit at a speed where the planet spins around and has one constant side facing the star.

no atmospheres, i can see a lot of space mods being made for this, asteroid fortress or mars landing games
Pages: [1] 2