Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Electricity  (Read 8881 times)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Electricity
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2007, 07:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan S. Fox:
<STRONG>I said electricity could be used for those things, and that I can't think of anything else that dwarves would realistically use it for, responding to the suggestion that electricity would obviously lead to some unspecified technology that nobody would want.</STRONG>

Yeh.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2007, 08:44:00 pm »

gimli, why don't you try to contribute intelligently to this instead of just whining, seriously.

I can see several good uses for electricity.

Lighting - I don't see a uild->[t]orch option anywhere.  Beyond that, fire is dangerous.
Heating - Fire is dangerous; not all maps have magma, duh.
Traps - 'We have enough traps'  One or two electric traps (I like that idea of electrifying copper flooring) won't hurt at all.
Screw pumps w/o axles - Because sometimes
You just can't get the axle there.  I know, that's already happened to me.

I'm against too much electricity in DF, for example I do not like the idea of dwarves making Cray 2's and building a Department of Dwarven Defense.  I do, however, like the idea of dwarves being able to see what they're doing without setting themselves on fire or what-have-you.  But then again, I can't see a realistic use for magic that isn't covered already anyways.

Attacks - Crossbows
Getting Wood - Battle Axes
Repairing stuff - Replacing it

Now, is there any real reason for having Magic then?  I don't see how dwarves would realistically use that.

Or is this "We want magic so let's get it put in, f**k you guys who want electricity, we don't like it," Since that's the exact message I"m getting from some of you.

<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2007, 09:05:00 pm »

Much as I hate to add any posts on to this mess, I'll toss my opinion in here, just so someone other than me knows what it is.

If steam powered anything gets added, I'll likely still play.
If magic is added, I'll likely still play.
If electricity is added, I'll likely still play.

If all of them are added, I'll likely still play.

Magic and/or technology (or the lack thereof) is not going to break the game.

Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2007, 09:50:00 pm »

Regarding one of the earlier comments about not understanding electricity... Ben Franklin knew of electricity before conducting his famous lightning experiment, and believed that lightning was electricity.

Imagine if the situation were reversed: high in the mountains where lightning frequently strikes, a dwarven scientist sat and watched from shelter as a lightning blast killed a mountain goat.  The scientist gasped and ran to the smoldering ruin that was once the majestic beast, gaping at the fact that the corpse was now blackened and burning.

So he set to work.  Being a little more devoted to science as opposed to faith, he wanted to understand this phenomenon and didn't believe that it was just the work of the gods.  He noticed that lightning tended to go towards the highest points that were still touching the ground, and when working in the room beneath the lightning rod, lightning struck by surprise.  One of the hammers in the room, having been struck against cold-wrought iron earlier, literally stood on its head and slid clockwise around the rod as the lightning rod suddenly turned white hot and quickly cooled.

The dwarf fell to his knees in trepid bemusement, slowly walking over to the hammer which had fallen over.  As he reached his gauntletted hand towards the hammer, the hammer leapt from the ground and bit him.  He shrieked and ran out of the workshop.  Soldiers entered the laboratory, and as they lowered a sword towards the hammer, it leapt up and latched onto their sword.  They desperately shook it, until a dwarf in leather grabbed it by the handle and ripped it from the blade.

The dwarf in leather stood holding the hammer as the other soldiers gazed at him in awestruck wonder.  How did this dwarf in leather manage to tame this possessed tool?

Further experiments progressed...

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Lord_Daeloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2007, 11:47:00 pm »

I bow to you JT, now THAT is Dwarf Fortress.

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2007, 04:15:00 am »

Obviously if electricity was added it couldn't be common enough that the idea of setting out with seven dwarfs with axes and buckets and axes to carve a fortress by the power of sweat doesn't seem as ludicrous as it would if someone proposed to do that in 21st century England.

Same problem with magic actually.  If its really common there wouldn't be any need for the back breaking labour df currently simulates.  But it could be rare and hard to control and poorly understood so that use is not common.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2007, 09:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sukasa:
<STRONG>  But then again, I can't see a realistic use for magic that isn't covered already anyways.

Attacks - Crossbows
Getting Wood - Battle Axes
Repairing stuff - Replacing it

Now, is there any real reason for having Magic then?  I don't see how dwarves would realistically use that.

</STRONG>

So basically youre saying that we have marksdwarves, and its perfectly enough regarding combat? We dont need fireballs, lightning bolts or any other direct/area dmg spells, we dont need enchantement spells, we dont need summoning spells etc. Just imagine, wouldnt it be fun to watch .. lets say you have a wizard who casts a web spell, making his oppoment unable to move, and fire him up with a little fireball? The possibilities of a magic system is HUGE.

We have crossbows, thats enough. Your post made no sense mate.
Magic always adds a lot to the gameplay in all games. Do you wannna know why? Because its very diverse. There can be countless numbers of different spells. Schools of magic.

As someone has mentioned it before, what could electricity add to the gameplay? New traps or lamps? Are you serious that this is what needed to enchance the gameplay? Heh.

Either way I dont care, we shall see that whats gonna happen. Even if something like electricity will be added or anyhing what XY player just dislikes and those can be turned off in the ini file, AND it wont ruin the gameplay if we turn it off [IE the player wont have a huge disadvantage just because he/she turned off the electricity or magic system / whatever], I am happy.

[ November 05, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

[ November 05, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

oRGy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2007, 10:24:00 am »

To be honest, I feel the whole idea of Steampunk to be very 1990's.   :(

Fortunatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2007, 01:11:00 pm »

I think Death cookie, Jonathan, and Jellyman are on the right track; It's not what unorthodox stuff gets implementted, but how it fits in the current game. I have no problem with gunpowder, electric currents, or magic for the most part.

I play this game as well as donate and keep up with developments and future goals and features because of the challenges it presents in simply surviving and etching out an existence in an otherwise fairly beleivable wild world, and I wager others do at some basic level as well. Yet it seems too many people here are suggesting fantistical 'gameplay additions' which by my observation have two major shortcomings:

First, for such 'steampunk' or 'high magic' stuff to be distinct or noticable from current and more mundane options, they end up serving little more than later options to remove existing gameplay. Now, having shocking flootr tiles, interior lights, automated pumps, and water heaters would be good additions (I think they can be done with established itmes, though), but tacking on steam trains and disintegrate spells to to remove the need to work with the land takes away the whole point of settling the land in the first place. "Gee, it's nice to take travel distances, fuel supplies, and available labor into account, but wouldn't it be cool if you didn't?"  I sure don't think so.

Secondly, most of the fanciful and 'exciting' suggestions don't really fit or even expand upon the real core of the game, again settlment and practical survival. My biggest concerns when playing are normally mundane subjects like farming, wild predators, floods, and sleeping arrangements; for me these things become small and trivial when flashy magic and machines are added. A wizard showing up is currently on par to a demon or a dragon; how are they supposed to be impressive when fireball-slingers and levitators are as common as bookkeepers? How does a civilization with industrial power *not* become a world-spanning industrial civilization? Let's keep the game on a relateable level.

I'd like to see magic and a wider variety of inventions, but in mundane ways. DF gives off a more classic fantasy and myth vibe to me, where wild creatures and places are simply 'magical' for being strange and fey folk's magic lies in their innate grasp on craft skills and finding powerful/valuable metals like aluminum or steel. Anyone remember the last time a setting considered steel to be magical? Or when the most feared beast in all the realm was an elephant (seriously, angry elephants are iconic to DF, but that's for another thread)? They're both impressive things in the world, but our modern life has made them boring and mundane. I think D&D and Warcraft have spoiled some into expecting flashy wizard/jedi battles with fireworks & lazer lightshows any time the fantasy floodgates are opened.

If building conducters out of bars of nickel, copper, and a pot of warer is chosen as a good way to electrify floor traps, sure. If Toady wants dwarves to build their own iron men, let him find a non-trivial way of doing it. But Arcanum and Shadowrun are not the games I'm playing here.

PS, this is of course entirely ignoring Toady's really expansive future goals like using other races to build settlements or expanding far past the Golden Age for play. In the former case I think some features can be split up to focus on each ones' style (dwarves easily mine the earth and build artifacts, men breed and expand like crazy and build/rewall easily, elves carefully harvest, manipulate, and observe the environment, etc). But even then we've already got the essentials of gameplay in and shouldn't go looking to turn DF into an unfocused do-anything BF3000 game.

Stij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2007, 02:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sparksol:
<STRONG>Much as I hate to add any posts on to this mess, I'll toss my opinion in here, just so someone other than me knows what it is.

If steam powered anything gets added, I'll likely still play.
If magic is added, I'll likely still play.
If electricity is added, I'll likely still play.

If all of them are added, I'll likely still play.

Magic and/or technology (or the lack thereof) is not going to break the game.</STRONG>

This man speaks the truth.

Also, another possible use for electricity, steam, or magic: Travel. If Toady ever impliments long-distance travel into the game, these could help a lot. Imagine magic-powered airships, steam boats, or primative cable cars!

(Actually, the last one could probably be done already without any extra magic or tech. Platforms suspended by ropes, and powered by water power or wind power mechanisms. It would just be a matter of Toady coding it in)

Sheez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2007, 02:40:00 pm »

Fortunatos, you're making me expand on my thoughts. Thanks   :)

Dwarf Fortress, as you've noted, is about work. It's about Diligence and Industry (Greed and Jealousy as well), even so far as to note it in the main screen. Right now we have a fully playable game, one that keeps to those ideals admirably. And it is, at this point, totally about survival.

At the same time, I can't help but see the game as a progression. I may extrapolate too much, but based on the dev notes and the inclusion of an economy, there is a lot more to what DF is going to be than the labor of seven dwarves carving into a mountain (or building a tower with a few surrounding forests). Those dwarves are not unimportant, nor is their labor, but it should be stressed that they are a -beginning- rather than the whole and sum of what we play. When I make a suggestion along the lines of including electricity or steam power, it is with a view towards future rewards, ones that must be worked for and earned with sweat and blood (oh so much blood). I would hate to start out with an automaton. I would hate to start out with a wizard who could cast anything more powerful than a cantrip (and would prefer not to start with one at all). I want to -earn- those things by using the strength of my dwarves directed as they are by my wit and cunning. If it takes me ten, even twenty years to attract even the lowliest of wizards, I would be happy. Similarly, if it took me that long to develop electricity, I would be satisfied. Becuase I had earned it. In my current game, I am building a twenty level high (and probably ten level deep) tower with an elaborate irrigation and defense system. I would be disappointed if I finished it in a year. As it stands, I've been having to fight off wild animals and procure food while I construct it which has slowed the progress substantially. And I am loving every minute of it, even if my water-pumping tower is only six stories high with no liveable space yet. I love it because I am earning every step of it. And when I'm done, I'll have something I can feel accomplished with. Something I can point to and say 'You see that? That tower took fifteen years and the lives of fifty dwarves to complete. Isn't it freakin' impressive?'.

Much in the same way that the economy is a step forward, so too should the advancement of an industry, whether it be magical or mechanical in nature. I, personally, don't want to struggle to survive with 200 dwarves. I think, at that point, there should be a certain level of self-management (or, the option for self-management) as a reward for having gotten even that far. Sieges are, I believe, a nod towards this next step of interaction, as the level of conflict has increased from 'dwarf vs. wilderness' to 'dwarves vs another society'. The economy, when it's tweaked and working as it should, will probably be another step in that direction. And, once we've got the economy going where else do we go? Is that it? Do we stagnate at that level without hope of progressing to something else? I don't see Toady leaving us there. His vision seems to be so much more detailed than that.

That said, and this is probably the most important part of what I have to say, I don't want to tell you how to play your game. If you want to make it 'My Dwarves versus the Wild: Survival Match', then you should be given every right and option to make that happen. I think the fact that we have the option to turn off things we don't like in the init file rather shows that Toady is of the same mind. He is giving us options. If you don't want to play with an economy, you don't have to. And your experience shouldn't be trivialized by not doing so. Similarly, if you don't want to play as a magical society, or as a technological society, or as one that has any higher-level industries at all, you shouldn't be forced to at all. There are going to be things you miss out on. You might not see automatons if you don't construct them (and have the industrial framework to support them). You might not be able to blast goblins into tiny chunks with a wave of a hand if you don't have one of your dwarves delve into the arcane (and supply him with the necessary reagents/scrolls/books/whatever). But you should always have the choice between doing so and not.

When I say 'automatons would be really neat!' I'm not saying 'Everyone should have to play with automatons because I think they are really neat!'. When I note that earlier societies have used electricity or steam power, I'm not saying 'Make this game more sci-fi!', I'm noting that these technologies are -feasible- for the time period that most fantasy seems to represent. I still want to farm. I still want to mine. I may have different ideas about how to do it later in the game than you do (or anyone else does), but at the heart of it I still want to play -this- game. And, as that holds true, I have no desire to try and change this game or try to shift Toady's idea of it to something it isn't already(or, perhaps, to something it wasn't intended to be) just to suit my ideals. My hope is that, instead, that my suggestions help flesh out the idea he's already got. That they provide more options, more things to do, a more expansive and interesting world. And if they don't mesh, that's fine too.

There are some things I'd like to speak to in your post specifically, which I do below.

quote:
A wizard showing up is currently on par to a demon or a dragon; how are they supposed to be impressive when fireball-slingers and levitators are as common as bookkeepers? How does a civilization with industrial power *not* become a world-spanning industrial civilization? Let's keep the game on a relateable level.

It's a question of balance. Of work vs. reward. If supporting a fireball slinging wizard takes the work of twenty dwarves, they won't be common. At most, if you devoted your entire fortress to -just- that, you could have maybe 5-8 and still survive (wizards need to eat too). And there is no guarantee that they are going to be slinging fire-balls right off the bat. Or that if they can, that those spells are going to be worthy a damn (they might just be really impressive, flashy smoke-bombs at a low skill). As for civilizations with industrial capability becoming world-spanning, they don't because of a couple reasons. a: Typical fantasy dwarves are notoriously xenophobic. They don't want you or your land. b: There are other dwarves out there with the same technology. It's the equivalent to M.A.D. c: Just because the elves don't have steam powered machines doesn't mean they are going to lay down and let the wood-hungry dwarves chop down their precious trees. Humans breed faster and (again, typically in fantasy worlds) tend to be more aggressive. There are reasonable balances that can exist, if you give the subject enough thought. Just as there are, I imagine, plenty of doomsday scenarios that you could think up.

quote:
I'd like to see magic and a wider variety of inventions, but in mundane ways. DF gives off a more classic fantasy and myth vibe to me, where wild creatures and places are simply 'magical' for being strange and fey folk's magic lies in their innate grasp on craft skills and finding powerful/valuable metals like aluminum or steel. Anyone remember the last time a setting considered steel to be magical? Or when the most feared beast in all the realm was an elephant (seriously, angry elephants are iconic to DF, but that's for another thread)? They're both impressive things in the world, but our modern life has made them boring and mundane.

I can agree that the 'mundane but magical because it is fearful or uncommon' feel is rare in games. I like it, and I like experiencing it. But does magic automatically trivialize that? If magic is hard to find, difficult to use, and unreliable, does that take away the fear from seeing a pack of E's stumble towards your main gate? I don't think it does. It just gives you another means to deal with them, just as a stout wall with fortifications and siege engines behind it grants you a fairly solid means to deal with them as well. And in all likelihood, magic would require more support than the standard siege engine. And technology most definitely would. Magic doesn't have to be the same kind or of the same frequency that you see in D&D or WoW. It's up to Toady to make sure it fits without hurting the game world. I think we can trust him with that. Yesss. Trust in the Toad.

quote:
If building conducters out of bars of nickel, copper, and a pot of warer is chosen as a good way to electrify floor traps, sure. If Toady wants dwarves to build their own iron men, let him find a non-trivial way of doing it. But Arcanum and Shadowrun are not the games I'm playing here.

We are so on the same page here.

Sorry for the length
Tl;dr - Play your game, I play mine. But I'd like to be rewarded for hard work beyond that which is currently coded into the game. I'd like to reach higher goals.

[ November 05, 2007: Message edited by: Sheez ]

How much war could a warforged forge if a warforged could forge war?

Fortunatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2007, 07:39:00 pm »

Well the thing about being 'rewarded for hard work beyond that which is currently coded into the game' is that the focus of the next development arc and further core features are around unifying the different game modes and expanding one's civilization across the world, not just making one fort bigger and better.

That is to say one will make progress by taking an adventurer, building up a party, claiming and building a settlement, turning that into a self-sufficient city, and sending out new parties to make a full blown nation to impact the world's history.

With some more tweaks and helpful options it won't be a terrible issue to make a 200-dwarf fortress be both self-sufficient and efficient; it's just a matter of blood and tears to get to that point. From there, I don't think there's any gameplay reward in making those concerns even more trivial with fancy task-reducing developments like tramways or water-to-wine spells. And making powerful firebolt-throwing magicians hard to acquire or maintain is just almost always cheap balance; there's a very specific number of hoops you can make players jump through between 'everyone works to get it' and 'nobody bothers to get it', which means either the rest of the game wasn't designed with it in mind or it shouldn't have been added at all.

I'd rather start sending them out and die trying to build new outposts in wilder/more lucrative zones than have them build a dozen magic robots and sit around partying and picking their noses. It just seems like stopping the game rather than moving it onward.

So what I'm getting at is the progress (as Toady seems to be making it. I do trust Toady, which is to say I think he'll keep magic and tech lowkey) isn't in making your work and concerns more and more easy, it's in becoming more and more expansive and extensive. The journeys you make, not the journeys you avoid, so to speak.

naradaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2007, 08:00:00 pm »

Some of you guys are making a pretty big deal out of electricity. All you need to make electricity is move a bar of copper between two pieces of magnetite.

Honestly, I don't think that's out of the dwarves's reach, and it doesn't automatically make laser guns and jets viable.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2007, 08:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tormy:
<STRONG>

So basically youre saying that we have marksdwarves, and its perfectly enough regarding combat? We dont need fireballs, lightning bolts or any other direct/area dmg spells, we dont need enchantement spells, we dont need summoning spells etc. Just imagine, wouldnt it be fun to watch .. lets say you have a wizard who casts a web spell, making his oppoment unable to move, and fire him up with a little fireball? The possibilities of a magic system is HUGE.

We have crossbows, thats enough. Your post made no sense mate.
Magic always adds a lot to the gameplay in all games. Do you wannna know why? Because its very diverse. There can be countless numbers of different spells. Schools of magic.

As someone has mentioned it before, what could electricity add to the gameplay? New traps or lamps? Are you serious that this is what needed to enchance the gameplay? Heh.</STRONG>

...  *sighs*  I was making a semi-sarcastic remark based on one of your (neuron-deprived) posts.  You gave plenty of reasons why we don't need electricity.  I did the same for magic.

"As someone has mentioned it before, what could electricity add to the gameplay? New traps or lamps? Are you serious that this is what needed to enchance the gameplay? Heh."

If the idea is to be able to run your own dwarf fortress, then shouldn't you be able to run it as YOU want?  Okay, scenario time.  What if you couldn't use magic since someone else didn't like the idea of it in game, even though electricity was in.  You'd be unhappy, right?

quote:
Originally posted by Tormy:
<STRONG>

Either way I dont care, we shall see that whats gonna happen. Even if something like electricity will be added or anything what XY player just dislikes and those can be turned off in the ini file, AND it wont ruin the gameplay if we turn it off [IE the player wont have a huge disadvantage just because he/she turned off the electricity or magic system / whatever], I am happy.</STRONG>

Now, did you really write this?  It's the epiphany of smart (no sarcasm here).  I wholeheartedly agree.  Besides, how could you be disadvantaged if you turned off a system?  It's not like the goblins would get to keep it even as you don't :P

<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Sheez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2007, 09:35:00 pm »

I think that your analysis of typical gameplay features is accurate Fortunato. There are only so many hoops one can bear before turning off and deciding that it just isn't worth it. But look at the huge, huge learning curve that DF has. And look at how many people overcame it. I remember when I first started trying to figure out how to play. There were a couple of times when I stopped and just threw my hands up thinking 'I can't do this. This is ridiculously hard.' But I came back because the game itself is compelling. I couldn't resist the siren song of Toady's creation. If we can stand getting through learning how to play the game, I think that it shows a certain fortitude and willingness to stick it out for the greater reward. (I maybe use that word too much. But it really is kind of carrot and stick.)

I am excited to see the game modes merge. The added depth of being able to send out my own dwarves (or even the children of my original founders) incites in me a glee that is girlish and unbefitting my manly stature. It might even have unicorns. But that doesn't mean I'd like to have explosives/gunpowder/automatons/magic any less. It just means that the overreaching benefits and effects of those things would be that much more prevalent.

quote:
From there, I don't think there's any gameplay reward in making those concerns even more trivial with fancy task-reducing developments like tramways or water-to-wine spells.

This might also be said about much of the new gear and wind/water power stuff. You could just as easily have your dwarves haul water in buckets the old-fashioned way as opposed to the task-reducing matter of moving water via screw pumps and windmills (or those perpetual motion engines out there). It might be a little out of the context of what you meant, but I see many of the innovations proposed in this thread as ideas of similar merit and effectiveness. Doesn't mean they will necessarily come out right the first time around, but that's what we're here for  :D Much of the reward provided by these things is generated by just having -done- them, having figured them out and turned them to one's advantage (at least for me).

I may be totally side-tracking this thread, but outside of making magic/technology harder to get, how else would you balance something like that? Toady's already noted that he intends to put magic at least in the game. As far as I can reckon, you can 'balance' it by either making it rare, making it costly, or making it time consuming. Of course there are different means to achieve any of these effects, but it boils down to placing limitations on something that is supposed to allow one to exceed limitations. Assuming we have to work with these things, what would (in your mind) be a good way to go about it?

quote:

So what I'm getting at is the progress isn't in making your work and concerns more and more easy, it's in becoming more and more expansive and extensive. The journeys you make, not the journeys you avoid, so to speak.

I guess the definitive difference between how we play is that you seem to vouch for growing up and out. I can see the merits of that style of playing the game, but I'm much more of a 'refine and rework' kind of guy. I'd like to get my fortress down to a finely honed machine (Well, you know. As honed as 200 alcoholic dwarves can get), and then maybe work on starting another one. It's interesting to consider how one might introduce the changes that have been presented without unduly harming either style of play..

This is something that needs some thought put into it.

How much war could a warforged forge if a warforged could forge war?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7