Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Surgery  (Read 1573 times)

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Surgery
« on: May 30, 2010, 02:33:04 pm »

Does it ever end? I've had an injured soldier in surgery for over a year now, will it finish? He had 3 broken bones, 2 need surgery, neither have been finished, all 3 need setting, have compound fractures, need surtures and need dressing.

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 02:35:48 pm »

Surgery is broken ATM. Just unbuild the bed the soldier is on and he should be fine (by which I mean permanently injured, possibly lowering his skill, and possibly having infection do something later).

Speaking of which, do infections do anything? My militia commander has been infected for two years and no ill signs have appeared.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 02:39:39 pm »

That sounds about right if your doctors never got around to actually treating the dwarf.

If they sewed up the dwarf with some pigtail fiber, supported them in a traction bench to keep the body still, had some splints to set the bone and had some fresh plaster from a kiln made from gypsum, then maybe you could have a dwarf crutch walking around your fortress.

What I'm saying is you need to have the materials and the dwarves with the professions ready to perform the surgeries or else the patient will have to heal the old fashioned way. By waiting.

Even then the healthcare seems kinda glitchy so you've gotta prepare for anything.

Infections kill you at some point randomly in the future.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 02:39:50 pm »

Surgery is broken ATM. Just unbuild the bed the soldier is on and he should be fine (by which I mean permanently injured, possibly lowering his skill, and possibly having infection do something later).

Speaking of which, do infections do anything? My militia commander has been infected for two years and no ill signs have appeared.

It eventually causes paleness then "Urist McInfected has succumbed to infection!"

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 02:41:03 pm »

That sounds about right if your doctors never got around to actually treating the dwarf.

If they sewed up the dwarf with some pigtail fiber, supported them in a traction bench to keep the body still, had some splints to set the bone and had some fresh plaster from a kiln made from gypsum, then maybe you could have a dwarf crutch walking around your fortress.

What I'm saying is you need to have the materials and the dwarves with the professions ready to perform the surgeries or else the patient will have to heal the old fashioned way. By waiting.

Even then the healthcare seems kinda glitchy so you've gotta prepare for anything.

Infections kill you at some point randomly in the future.

I forgot to mention, there is a dwarf treting him and that dwarf is actually gaining surgeon skills

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 03:03:07 pm »

Its broken. They will do surgery till the end of time >:(. Or until the patient gets up, walks two feet to complete a task, passes out, and gets brought back for more surgery. Its sucks.

Workaround:
Dont get anyone injured. Only one I know of, sorry  :(.
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 04:04:14 pm »

Its broken. They will do surgery till the end of time >:(. Or until the patient gets up, walks two feet to complete a task, passes out, and gets brought back for more surgery. Its sucks.

Workaround:
Dont get anyone injured. Only one I know of, sorry  :(.

Doesn't the dwarf doing the surgery not gain the skill with that bug? The dwarf doing it started out at dabbling, she's now telented :/

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 12:52:39 am »

I've had plenty of injuries make their way through the hospital--no one has ever grabbed a crutch.  I have had one patient in the hospital for going on ten years now, but everyone else made it out (or bled to death on the table) ok, some returning to the military and others back to regular life--and some as soldiers returning to civilian life due to all the red limbs and other parts.  The one long-term patient, I removed the bed out from under her and she crawled into another bed.  So she wasn't OK to leave.  Everyone seems to take turns feeding her, and all the wounded parts have been yellow (initially red) for many years--her stats say she's incredibly slow to heal.  I believe it--a hammerdwarf was on the flipside incredibly quick to heal and was out of bed in one season. 

Often they heal to yellow and then an off yellow color and they function fairly normally.

if an infection isn't treated in time, the dwarf may die.  Typically bears and dogs of mine will die of infection, if they can't grab a bar of soap in time I guess.  The dwarf doctors will use soap when cleaning a patient if possible.  Anyway it is sort of comical to see a dwarf with four sutures, four splints, and clothes wrapped around various body parts, making their way around the fortress.

I have also had dwarfs get up in the middle of surgery, go complete a few tasks, and go back to bed and get surgery again.  If they keep that up they often get infected. 

I had a farmer that grumbled every time there was a patrol duty and was angry to be drafted and he NEVER went up in combat skills beyond dabbling.  Everyone else in the group progressed normally.  Finally he got a foot injury and I relieved him of duty and he was happy to be farming and butchering, constantly aborting his surgeries only to come back after butchering a forgotten beast or two.  I bet he wishes he still was armored during that one recent siege.. or he may still be with us today! 

If your surgeons are endlessly cutting... that happened to me in .03, and seems to be fixed in .04.  I haven't had any real issues in .04 that are worse than .03, and I never used the graphics so that wasn't an issue. 

Lastly, and you didn't ask... try to keep your adamantine threads AWAY from the hospital, or they'll end up in sutures!  Forbid them if you see them there, or keep them unforbidden and hope you get to make use of them before someone gets hurt...

I have found the medical process is much easier when dedicating a few dwarfs to overlap in medical skill sets, and have a few other skills enabled--I have a farm by the hospital, so I have the doctors farm.  My chief medical dwarf became a legendary furnace operator, so he's never around (140 z levels down) when the action happens, but in case he does show up near the surface, he has the tasks enabled.  I only let them haul when I think it's safe!  Otherwise they end up picking up goblin loot on the other side of the map, left over from the last siege, just to get shot at by a troll ranger or goblin crowssbow wielder when the next siege happens.

igless

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 03:20:26 am »

I've had plenty of injuries make their way through the hospital--no one has ever grabbed a crutch.  I have had one patient in the hospital for going on ten years now, but everyone else made it out (or bled to death on the table) ok, some returning to the military and others back to regular life--and some as soldiers returning to civilian life due to all the red limbs and other parts.  The one long-term patient, I removed the bed out from under her and she crawled into another bed.  So she wasn't OK to leave.  Everyone seems to take turns feeding her, and all the wounded parts have been yellow (initially red) for many years--her stats say she's incredibly slow to heal.  I believe it--a hammerdwarf was on the flipside incredibly quick to heal and was out of bed in one season. 

Often they heal to yellow and then an off yellow color and they function fairly normally.

if an infection isn't treated in time, the dwarf may die.  Typically bears and dogs of mine will die of infection, if they can't grab a bar of soap in time I guess.  The dwarf doctors will use soap when cleaning a patient if possible.  Anyway it is sort of comical to see a dwarf with four sutures, four splints, and clothes wrapped around various body parts, making their way around the fortress.

I have also had dwarfs get up in the middle of surgery, go complete a few tasks, and go back to bed and get surgery again.  If they keep that up they often get infected. 

I had a farmer that grumbled every time there was a patrol duty and was angry to be drafted and he NEVER went up in combat skills beyond dabbling.  Everyone else in the group progressed normally.  Finally he got a foot injury and I relieved him of duty and he was happy to be farming and butchering, constantly aborting his surgeries only to come back after butchering a forgotten beast or two.  I bet he wishes he still was armored during that one recent siege.. or he may still be with us today! 

If your surgeons are endlessly cutting... that happened to me in .03, and seems to be fixed in .04.  I haven't had any real issues in .04 that are worse than .03, and I never used the graphics so that wasn't an issue. 

Lastly, and you didn't ask... try to keep your adamantine threads AWAY from the hospital, or they'll end up in sutures!  Forbid them if you see them there, or keep them unforbidden and hope you get to make use of them before someone gets hurt...

I have found the medical process is much easier when dedicating a few dwarfs to overlap in medical skill sets, and have a few other skills enabled--I have a farm by the hospital, so I have the doctors farm.  My chief medical dwarf became a legendary furnace operator, so he's never around (140 z levels down) when the action happens, but in case he does show up near the surface, he has the tasks enabled.  I only let them haul when I think it's safe!  Otherwise they end up picking up goblin loot on the other side of the map, left over from the last siege, just to get shot at by a troll ranger or goblin crowssbow wielder when the next siege happens.

Well, my fort is in the 31.04 Legacy version (no open GL, it messes with my computer for some reason) So does this mean my injured "soldier" (He was only a soldier so as I could draft him into a borrow that dropped him down a 3 Z-level pit, I wanted to test the hospitals :P) will make it out alive?

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 10:36:06 am »

He will probably make it out OK!  If not, build a nice tomb for him in the meantime, as a symbol of the heroic sacrifice he made for your sadistic experimentation!  Everyone is happy knowing they have a fancy tomb!
igless

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 02:56:49 pm »

.31.04 has the surgery/suturing bug fixed, you should be fine.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 03:52:30 pm »

He will probably make it out OK!  If not, build a nice tomb for him in the meantime, as a symbol of the heroic sacrifice he made for your sadistic experimentation!  Everyone is happy knowing they have a fancy tomb!

Yeah I already have 2 tombs in the hospital, one was a mason that broke his spine, the other bled out on the table :P